PDA

View Full Version : Art Basel

Nate Battles
27-Nov-2007, 08:45
Hey guys,

Has anyone here ever had anything exhibited in the Art Basel show in Miami? Just curious as to anyone's experiences. From reading a little on their website, artists must be represented through a gallery in order to be shown. Is it worth it? Should one market their work to the galleries listed in order to be shown?

http://www.artbasel.com/go/id/kh/

David Spivak-Focus Magazine
27-Nov-2007, 08:48
Hey guys,

Has anyone here ever had anything exhibited in the Art Basel show in Miami? Just curious as to anyone's experiences. From reading a little on their website, artists must be represented through a gallery in order to be shown. Is it worth it? Should one market their work to the galleries listed in order to be shown?

http://www.artbasel.com/go/id/kh/

It's not only Art Basel... there are 17 shows that will be occuring at the same time in Miami including AIPAD Miami and Photo Miami.

John Kasaian
27-Nov-2007, 09:31
Why isn't the exhibition called "Art
miami?"

Scott Davis
27-Nov-2007, 13:29
It started off as Art Basel, in Switzerland. Art Basel Miami is just a spinoff from the original, and since they had built a brand name on Art Basel, they keep using it here.

Remigius
27-Nov-2007, 17:12
Also here in Basel several side events nowadays show more important new art than art itself which mainly hosts mainstream galleries (space is limited and often not affordable for galleries showing non established art). art attracts major curators and collectors, so exhibiting there (or in any of the side events) might be worthwile in any case if you get the chance. afaik, usually galleries display artists they have exhibited before or they have some relation with. So it might prove difficult (to say the least) just to walk in with a portfolio under your arm to have something exhibited.

Nate Battles
27-Nov-2007, 19:30
Thanks Reminius, that's what I thought. It seems like it would be a great opportunity to showcase (and sell) one's work.

Michael Jones
6-Dec-2007, 08:56
miami?"

From the limited imagesI have seen thus far, why is it called "art?" Sorry if my view is so pedestrian and parochial. I became an art cynic when I saw Jeff Koons suspend 3 basketball in an aquarium and sell it for $150,000 in the late 1980s (when $150,000 was real money).

Mike

Mark Sawyer
9-Dec-2007, 10:33
Tis the state of modern art...

The conservative-minded will go to be offended...
The liberal-minded will go to be amused...
The ultra-rich will go to spend money with abandon...
The established artists will go to shmooze...
The unestablished artists will go to wonder "why not me, what's wrong with me..."

From what I saw, the artwork has advanced to the cutting edge of the 1920's to '60's. Maybe it was a bad sampling on the website. Warhol's Marilyn, and what looks like a Koonz? That's not established art, that's established art history...

Jorge Gasteazoro
9-Dec-2007, 11:34
miami?"

Because putting Miami and art together might be an oxymoron?!?