PDA

View Full Version : small metric tape measure?

rippo
26-Nov-2007, 09:57
sorry if i'm being a complete idiot on this one, but i'm putting together my christmas wish list. you know, the little items you'd never get around to buying yourself, but would be wonderful if someone else bought. no, i'm not talking about a Canham 20x24!

where does one find a very small metric tape measure in the US? google yields 1" x 26 ft tape measures (odd, since it's a METRIC tape measure). i just want a small one that will measure maybe a meter, but more importantly is small enough to fit in my pocket without looking like i need a diaper change.

any suggestions? brick-n-mortar or online is welcome.

(i'm sure i don't need to explain why i want one of these....)

thanks!

cowanw
26-Nov-2007, 10:03
sorry if i'm being a complete idiot on this one, but i'm putting together my christmas wish list. you know, the little items you'd never get around to buying yourself, but would be wonderful if someone else bought. no, i'm not talking about a Canham 20x24!

where does one find a very small metric tape measure in the US? google yields 1" x 26 ft tape measures (odd, since it's a METRIC tape measure). i just want a small one that will measure maybe a meter, but more importantly is small enough to fit in my pocket without looking like i need a diaper change.

thanks!

Come to Canada>
At least virtually

http://www.leevalley.com/home/Search.aspx?c=2&action=n

Regards
Bill

rippo
26-Nov-2007, 10:27
that zippo one is just the sort of thing i was after! thanks very much.

Jim Rice
26-Nov-2007, 10:34
I use a 3ft/1m Servalite that I picked up at my local (Ace) hardware store. It comes with a key ring and goes very well with the little bubble level key ring from the same venue. Both for under five bucks.

rippo
26-Nov-2007, 10:40
oh that sounds like a good one too. i've taken quick looks before and figured metric was just completely foreign (excuse the pun, of sorts) to the local hardware industry.

Darren Kruger
26-Nov-2007, 11:21
where does one find a very small metric tape measure in the US? google yields 1" x 26 ft tape measures (odd, since it's a METRIC tape measure). i just want a small one that will measure maybe a meter,

Have you looked for a sewing tape measure? Cheap and easy. I think i found mine at the local drug store.

-Darren

BradS
26-Nov-2007, 11:28
Yeah. Darren's got it right. The vinyl tape measure at the fabric store has metric units on one side and those old, useless units on the the other side.

rippo
26-Nov-2007, 11:28
hey darren. yeah i did look at sewing tape measures, but never saw anything metric. hmm. ok, apparently i've done a poor job of looking for these, as there have been so many quick and useful responses!

i shall just have to get one myself, and forget the xmas gift idea!

thanks all!

rippo
26-Nov-2007, 11:30
fabric store! yes, that's the solution. i think i'll head there at lunch. tnx.

Marko
26-Nov-2007, 11:48
They used to hand out 1-meter paper measures at IKEA. Metric, of course. :)

BrianShaw
26-Nov-2007, 12:22
They still do at our IKEA(s), Marko. Only problem with that suggestion is that it is perhaps the most costly approach - IKEA is like COSTCO: when you go in for one item you often come out with a basket full. I can't get out of either one of those places without leaving behind $100 or so.

Marko
26-Nov-2007, 14:49
Yeah, I know, I have a bunch of them in my car. :)

rippo
26-Nov-2007, 15:14
well good news! back from lunch, found a $4 tape measure/key ring in the drug store. it's got the metric going on.

case closed! thanks everyone. especially for humoring my dumb request.

Darren Kruger
26-Nov-2007, 15:28
hey darren. yeah i did look at sewing tape measures, but never saw anything metric.

I think the ones I have have English units on one side and metric on the other. makes conversion easy (just flip the tape.)

just wondering why you want metric. divide millimeters by 25ish to get inches and have smaller numbers for the math. or just remember the regular lens lengths and compensation values.

-Darren

rippo
26-Nov-2007, 15:58
it's just easier for me to keep my focal lengths metric. i've got enough to worry about when trying to get some light through the lens, without doing metric/imperial conversions in my head! of course, when i use my 8" dagor, i'll run into problems...good thing this tape measure 'goes both ways', as it were.

and since i didn't have a tape measure small enough to carry around, i had to get SOMETHING. might as well make it metric.

but i see your point. not entirely necessary.

D. Bryant
27-Nov-2007, 14:00

thanks!
Look at the hardware store. Stanley makes a small pocket metric tape measure. I have one in my camera kit.

Don Bryant