PDA

View Full Version : The four seasons

John Kasaian
20-Nov-2007, 22:40
Where I live we only have two: Hot and Foggy :rolleyes: but I know some of you experience all the glorious seasons so...have you taken photographs which you feel successfully represent,illustrate or define each of the four seasons? How about in glorious black and white?

David Spivak-Focus Magazine
20-Nov-2007, 23:30
Where I live we only have two: Hot and Foggy :rolleyes: but I know some of you experience all the glorious seasons so...have you taken photographs which you feel successfully represent,illustrate or define each of the four seasons? How about in glorious black and white?

I was in Central Park all weekend photographing the leaves. When I go out and photograph something, I go there with absolutely no intention of creating any kind of portfolio out of it... I randomly photograph things that catch my attention. As soon as I'm done with my current project, I'm going to develop what I shot and see if I can get anything out of it... I think I can create something a little abstract out of this. This is the first time in my entire life of having a passion about photography that I've actually ever been excited about my own photography. Of course, I'm nowhere nearly as talented as all of you are, however; for my own little musings I enjoy the finished product quite much. This weekend is supposed to be really chilly, which might help some of the late turners get into a really deep, rich red, which translates into a beautiful shade of gray....

paulr
21-Nov-2007, 20:38
I'm on the tail end of my first color photo project ... it involves pictures of things growing in urban environments (empty lots, etc.). My plan has been to include pictures from all the seasons. For some reason I've had a hard time with winter. Funny, because when I was doing my b+w work I loved photographing in winter and had a harder time in summer.

janepaints
22-Nov-2007, 02:21
Interesting, John. Dunno if I ever thought much about seasonality when photographing, especially in B&W. I went to my prints and only two contained or conveyed any personal sense of season.

The first was taken not long after I began to photograph--about 1979? 35mm. Late autumn but still okay weather for bicycling. A friend & I were riding. The weather changed real fast--within minutes. It got MUCH colder and began to snow. Pretty soon we couldn't ride any more. Too slippery. We were a few miles from home. It was dismal. We weren't dressed for the weather and would have to walk the bikes home. I took a photo of my companion's bike before we set back for home. Winter Had Set In. No more bicycling for awhile.

The second is an 8x10" neg. Summer in central NJ tends towards very hot n' humid. Skies tend towards purplish-grey all-over glare & smog, even in 'rural' areas and on 'nice' days. Things tend to be very still. The words are 'muggy & opressive.' This was taken in Neshanic NJ, about 45 miles west of NYC. July 4th 1984.

My scanner is 7 years old, the cheapest Canon flatbed. I'm basically ignorant about scanning. I don't mind so much regarding the bike photo, but a lot was lost in the Neshanic picture scan.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g249/janepaints/snowBike.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g249/janepaints/neshanic.jpg

SamReeves
22-Nov-2007, 10:26
Sort of similar to the first post, in Pacific Grove we have two seasons. Sunny and foggy. Foggy probably dominates most of the year.

David Spivak-Focus Magazine
11-Dec-2007, 20:14
I think anyone who likes to photograph the snow is going to have a big chance this weekend in the NE... a BIG chance.