PDA

View Full Version : 4x10splitters

Gary Tarbert
18-Nov-2007, 16:44
I occasionaly see spitters mentioned for 8x10 too reduce too 4x10 on the same sheet
i have never seen these promoted any where.
Where would you obtain these.Cheers Gary

Mark Woods
18-Nov-2007, 16:53
I've wondered the same thing. What I finally decided to do was to cut an extra 8x10 dark slide in half (actually a little more than in half). That way the slide will cover a bit more and keep the negs distinct. When I do this and try it out, I'll post my results.

Vaughn
18-Nov-2007, 17:21
I've wondered the same thing. What I finally decided to do was to cut an extra 8x10 dark slide in half (actually a little more than in half). That way the slide will cover a bit more and keep the negs distinct. When I do this and try it out, I'll post my results.

This is what I have been using for a long while. I used a metal slide after breaking my original one. I am happy withthe way it works.

Vaughn

John Kasaian
18-Nov-2007, 17:22
I occasionaly see spitters mentioned for 8x10 too reduce too 4x10 on the same sheet
i have never seen these promoted any where.
Where would you obtain these.Cheers Gary

First of all you need a back thats grooved to accept splitters. I know Agfa Anscos and Deardorffs (but not all Deardorffs) have grooves. Then you need to find the sliders on ebay at somewhere near a reasonable price!
It can be done. I've done it.
You can make them yourself. If I can find mine I'll post the measurements.
Cheers!
~John

Gary Tarbert
18-Nov-2007, 19:05
I have just had a good look at the back of my deardorf and it does have the slots both horizontal & vertical ,yes i think i could make one my self and i'm not that handy.
the logical way would seem to be is just block off the bottom so you dont have to worry about it dropping, and exspose half the sheet from the left then change to the right and exspose the other half with the block off allways on the bottom.
For verticals just slide from left to right and hope it doesn't move.cheers gary

Kirk Fry
18-Nov-2007, 19:12
Not all Agfa Anscos have spliter grooves either :-(. I have one of the old gray 8X10's.

K

John Kasaian
18-Nov-2007, 20:06
I honestly tried to measure this with a metric ruler but my bifocals aren't so good--I really need a new prescription so here it is in inches. I'll let you translate.
The 4x10 splitter for a "dorff V8 is:
4" wide by 10-3/16th" long, 1/4" thick.The step on one of the short ends is 1/8" for width and depth. On the other end the step is 1/4" wide. Thats the side you first insert into the grove on in the camera. On the side where the steps are cut, there are two 1/4" deep blind hole for sliding the panel with your finger tips. They are 3/4" in diameter located on the centerline of the panel on the short axis and 2" apart on the centers with the edge of the blind holes 9/16ths from the long edge. The whole thing is painted mat black.

The slider is held in place b a long skinny strip of springy metal (copper?) that fitts snugly into the groove. It has a gentle zig zag bend to it so the "peaks" hold the slider in place.
Hmmmm...maybe I ought to borrow my Bride's digi and take some pix so Tuan can use this as an article for the Home Page?
Cheers!

Greg Dejanovic
18-Nov-2007, 20:35
Another alternative is to cut an extra dark slide half way as an "L" color coded and use instead of a splitter. It takes some practise to get it right. It works well. I have a dedicated holder I use for 4X10 images.

Cheers Greg

Matt Miller
18-Nov-2007, 20:49
I made a homemade 4x10 splitter for an 8x10 Korona once. I cut a rectangle out of 24 gauge sheet metal. No cut corners or anything. I just bent it slightly to get it seated into the grooves. It was tight enough to stay where I put it. Simple and effective.

Pat Kearns
19-Nov-2007, 13:02
If you don't want to go the homemade route I believe the maker of the Bender
make-it-yourself cameras sold them at one time. Do a google search on the Bender cameras and you will get their website.

Capocheny
19-Nov-2007, 16:34
Dagor77 also has them listed on the auction site from time to time... I purchased mine through him for a few dollars. :)

Cheers