PDA

View Full Version : D2 Enlarger in Eastern Ontario ... pick it up or pass it on?

John Bartley
18-Nov-2007, 14:57
A friend of mine has an enlarger he wants to get rid of. It's a model # D2, and I don't know if it's an Omega or a Durst. It looks like Omega pictures I've found on the web, but he called it a Durst. I had a fast look at it and it "looks" complete and straight. It's basically clean, a bit dusty. There's one glass in the condensor lens chamber and it comes with three enlarging lenses, a 4x5 and 35mm carrier, two old timers, three safelight glasses (two are "new in box") and a Kodak darkroom thermometer which is about 15" long (and is in it's box).

I already have an Elwood 5x7 diffuser enlarger which is basically complete, set up and working perfectly that I would have to sell if I bought this one so I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

He's asking $250, but has hinted VERY strongly that he'd like it out of his way (he's not a photographer) and that I should make him an offer, so I'll bet he'd sell it for less than $200.

Any opinions about differences in usability. I'm not having any trouble with the Elwood. Any reason that I should jump on this? Any one else have an interest if I pass on it? It's a bit north and east of Kingston.

cheers and thank you

Brian Ellis
18-Nov-2007, 19:02
I doubt that this is a Durst. I'm not a Durst expert but I've never heard of a Durst D2. OTOH, the Omega D2 was a very popular workhorse enlarger for a long time, a lot of schools used them in their labs because they could take a beating and weren't very expensive. However, $250 for it is ridiculous IMHO. So is $200. Maybe people are paying that on ebay or somewhere else, I haven't looked, but IIRC you could buy a D2 for about $200 or even less in the 1990s, back when there was still a decent market for darkroom equipment. In today's market I'd offer to haul it away for him for free and that's about all. However, I haven't done any research, if I did maybe I'd find that for some reason these things have held their value when most darkroom equipment hasn't but barring that I wouldn't pay anything to speak of for it, certainly not $250.

Glenn Thoreson
18-Nov-2007, 19:06
Just throwing this out there, so you'll know: While te Omega D2 is a good enlarger (I use one), you can often find them available for much less than 200.00.
Often, you can get this stuff just for hauling it off. Mine, with a 135 lens, cost nothing. If it were me doing this, I would hang on to that 5X7 Elwood, even if I did get a smaller rig.

John Bartley
19-Nov-2007, 05:44
Hi folks,

Thank you for the input. I think I'll take your advice and give it a pass. I'll also pass along the info to my friend. He's quite reasonable, so I suspect he'll lower the price substantially and post it in a local paper for sale.

cheers end thanks again.

fuegocito
19-Nov-2007, 14:02
If you really want a D2, I have one in perfect condition(with 150mm lens cone) you can have for $50+shipping.

Rob

Ron Bose
19-Nov-2007, 14:46
harrysproshop has a really nice one for C$200

John Bartley
19-Nov-2007, 15:00
Rob and Ron,

Thank you for the offer and the heads-up. I wasn't really looking for another or a different enlarger, but this was mentioned to me during a visit, and I was wondering what the advantages or disadvantages would be. I sense that they do pretty much the same thing,and as long as I'm happy with my old diffuser type Elwood I won't see any advantage in going to the D2. I would also be cash out of pocket, so I think I'll stay where I'm at and avoid another learning curve at the same time.

cheers eh?

fuegocito
19-Nov-2007, 21:04
The elwood's are hard to beat, if the 57 version is as beefy as the 810 version, I say you might as well sticking with it. As long as there is a good light source and a decent lens, a solid structure is all one need in an enlarger.

best wishes

Rob

John Kasaian
26-Nov-2007, 23:54
I've got an Elwood AND a D-2. It's getting a bit crowded around here! ;)

Rolfe
28-Nov-2007, 19:08
If you really want a D2, I have one in perfect condition(with 150mm lens cone) you can have for $50+shipping.

Rob

Hey Rob,

I may be able to convert your D2 into a horizontal enlarger, as I use D2 already. What do you think it would cost to ship to CA?????

I am trying to brainstorm ideas to print large format...

Thanks,
Rolfe

fuegocito
28-Nov-2007, 21:47
Hi Rolfe,

PM send. let's see if we can make it work for you.