PDA

View Full Version : hakuba tripod for 4x5 monorail?

Winger
15-Nov-2007, 12:11
The tripod I have for my smaller cameras isn't quite sturdy enough for my Cambo monorail. If I spread the legs further than their normal position (they go further to be able to go to ground level), then the whole thing sinks to the ground.
At Freestyle, they have a Hakuba tripod listed for LF. Will it work fine for my LF? The price is within the range I hoping for, so that's why I ask.

this is the one:
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_prod.php?cat_id=2703&pid=1000000092

venchka
15-Nov-2007, 12:38
Unless it's too big or too heavy, you could have a Berlebach for that price or less. It would probably hold YOU and the LF camera.

Michael Graves
15-Nov-2007, 12:40
I tried a Hakuba and it didn't do much for me. Fortunately for me, it belonged to a friend and I was merely borrowing it for the day. If you're into wood at all, you might try the Berlebach series. I now have two of them and won't look back. Light weight, easy to use and smooth. There are several models in the price range you're looking at.

Michael Graves
15-Nov-2007, 12:41
Unless it's too big or too heavy, you could have a Berlebach for that price or less. It would probably hold YOU and the LF camera.

Great minds think alike.

venchka
15-Nov-2007, 12:41
Aye. I was typing the same thing.

Winger
15-Nov-2007, 16:45
Thanks! I'll look for those. I had sorta thought they were in a higher price bracket.

Henry Ambrose
15-Nov-2007, 16:54
The Hakuba is as great tripod. I've shot 8x10 off mine when I couldn't carry a bigger tripod. For a monorail at super long extensions it will be sketchy. For normal field camera type use it is wonderful.

Winger
15-Nov-2007, 17:00
After looking at them at B&H, a Berlebach would need a head and the result would cost more and weigh more. They're also definitely prettier.
How would this be for a head:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/60015-REG/Davis_Sanford_SH200S_Pro_SH_200S_Photo_Head.html

Thanks, Henry, I'll keep that in mind, too.

I wish I had a place to try some of these out first. :(

venchka
16-Nov-2007, 23:02
If your budget can stand it, I know someone who has a Gitzo 1348 for $400 plus shipping. Send me a PM if your interested.

Winger
17-Nov-2007, 06:45
Wayne, I'm sorta trying to keep to somewhat of a budget.
I'm now thinking of the Berlebach 8023 with the Davis and Sanford head I linked 2 posts above this one. Does that sound reasonable? It fits my budget - will it fit my camera?

Michael Graves
17-Nov-2007, 07:20
Wayne, I'm sorta trying to keep to somewhat of a budget.
I'm now thinking of the Berlebach 8023 with the Davis and Sanford head I linked 2 posts above this one. Does that sound reasonable? It fits my budget - will it fit my camera?

That would be a very good head. The 23 is the smaller of my two tripods. I picked up a Gitzo R3 head in decent shape on Ebay for $36.00 and it has become my tripod of choice for my Toyo 5x7 monorail. I also put an R3 on one of their 30 series...can't remember exactly which one, but I think it's an 8036, and it supports my Toyo 810M without even breathing hard.

Somebody's selling one right now and it ain't bringing much.

And, no, it isn't me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gitzo-3-Tripod-Head_W0QQitemZ190172886267QQihZ009QQcategoryZ30095QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem