PDA

View Full Version : 5x7 camera?

false_Aesthetic
9-Nov-2007, 19:31
Any suggestions on a 5x7 camera?

I dont plan on using it for 5x7 instead I want a 6x17 back and a 4x5 back for it.

Currently using a Toyo 45A. Would like (if possible) something lighter, with fresnel ground glass and just as easy to set up.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

T

John Kasaian
9-Nov-2007, 19:36
Peter Gowland if you want something along the lines of an ultra light monorail---or find a nagaoka if you want a woody (be prepared though , theres a loooong line and they ain't cheap!)

sanking
9-Nov-2007, 20:32

I dont plan on using it for 5x7 instead I want a 6x17 back and a 4x5 back for it.

Currently using a Toyo 45A. Would like (if possible) something lighter, with fresnel ground glass and just as easy to set up.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

T

5X7 wood Canham. When you weigh size, weight and features this is the top 5X7 made today, IMO.

Sandy King

Nick_3536
9-Nov-2007, 22:41
The Shen FCL-810. With the 5x7 reducing back it mounts a 6x17 native back. Not one of those aimed at the 4x5 market. It takes a 4x10 back. It obviously takes an 8x10. It's light at less then 4kg. Goes VERY wide. Goes up to 600mm I guess.

Down side is you'll have to ask the factore about the 4x5 back.

It's also less then $2k with one reducing back.

evan clarke
10-Nov-2007, 07:58
Consider the Tachihara, call Jim at Midwest and ask him about it..EC

BradS
10-Nov-2007, 08:32

But, wait...the Canham 617 back was designed to work with the Canham MQC 5x7 camera. If 6x17 is where you want to go, the natural choice seems to me to be the Canham MQC. That's an easy choice to make too because all of Keith's prodcts are so good. You can't go wrong (just bring $$$$$).

J_Tardiff
10-Nov-2007, 08:46
But, wait...the Canham 617 back was designed to work with the Canham MQC 5x7 camera. If 6x17 is where you want to go, the natural choice seems to me to be the Canham MQC. That's an easy choice to make too because all of Keith's prodcts are so good. You can't go wrong (just bring $$$$$).

Speaking of the MQC, there is one up on the 'Bay at present -- I'm in the market for the 5x7 Wood field version and I stumbled on it. It might go for a reasonable price.

FWIW.

JT

BradS
10-Nov-2007, 08:50
Yeah, I've got my (hungry) eye on that one but, I doubt that it'll go for anything close to a reasonable price.

Things seem to either go ridiculously cheap or ridiculously high....eBay is weird that way. I cannot figure it out.

Nick_3536
10-Nov-2007, 09:32
He might be using the Canham back but he didn't say he was going to.

false_Aesthetic
10-Nov-2007, 09:48
Hey,

Thanks for the input.

I have no idea if I'll use a Canham back or a shen H. or something else (what else is avail? The Canham back is a bit out of my budget but conceivable if I sell some blood)

A bunch of people have recommended the metal Canham (including Nick Nixon) but if I end up going that way I'm only going to be able to buy it based on word of mouth (slightly frightening).

I heard/read somewhere that the camera doesn't have detents(sp?) and is therefore somewhat of a pain align parallel. Is this true? Does anyone have anything bad to say about the Canhams?

Thanks
T

Brian Ellis
10-Nov-2007, 10:10
Yeah, I've got my (hungry) eye on that one but, I doubt that it'll go for anything close to a reasonable price.

Things seem to either go ridiculously cheap or ridiculously high....eBay is weird that way. I cannot figure it out.

Strange, I've never noticed that. Everything I bid on goes ridiculously high.

Brian Ellis
10-Nov-2007, 10:19
Hey . . . Does anyone have anything bad to say about the Canhams?ThanksT

There are reviews of two Canham cameras in the camera review section of this site. I don't know if they're the cameras in which you're interested, I can never keep the Canham model designations straight, but you might find them useful if you haven't already seen them.

BradS
10-Nov-2007, 10:58
Strange, I've never noticed that. Everything I bid on goes ridiculously high.

Indeed. That is mostly been my experience as well. Every once in while though, I have been fortunate and won the bid at what I felt was a relatively reasonable level...rare but, it has happened. It seems to go the other way far more often though - you're right.

jetcode
11-Nov-2007, 20:04
I had a 6x17 but wanted something a little easier to compose on: my solution is a Shen-Hao 4x10 with 5x7 back. The best of both worlds for under $2k brand new.

Michael Graves
12-Nov-2007, 05:53
It's not that hard to figure out.

I'm I'm selling it, it goes ridiculously cheap. If I'm buying, I only push the price up and never win.

(sniff!)

Rob Champagne
12-Nov-2007, 08:52
another possibility is a Walker 5x7 (http://www.walkercameras.com/titan-xl-wide-5x7-thumbs.html) which is designed to take a canham rollfilm back and has a 4x5 reducing back available.

Detents are a pain in my opinion. They usually don't give perfect alignment and trying to put a tiny bit of tilt or swing in when the dentent is trying to click into place makes things worse.

JJ Viau
12-Nov-2007, 13:22
Hum...You did notice that I am selling a wooden 5x7 (and 4x5") Canham and have an ad in this very site didn´t you?

JJ

alec4444
12-Nov-2007, 20:46

I'd second this opinion. It's perfect for what you want and weighs nothing.

--A