PDA

View Full Version : Fading (into oblivion) Apple Display...Now what?

Mark Carstens
8-Nov-2007, 18:18
My formerly faithful Apple 17" display is going kaput (keyboarding from school right now to save myself from the intermittent screen flicker).

I've cut way back on doing color work in favor of the darkroom, but still have an occasional need for a color-calibrated display (I've got an Eye-1 disc/software), but don't see a need to crack open the piggy bank for this purchase.

I thought I might want an Apple 20" Cinema, but upon trying one out at the Apple Store quickly realized that the different aspect ratio compared to the old 17" may be nice for landscape orientation, but su-diddly-ucks for portait view (IMO). The 23" is nice, but it's hard to justify the expense, especially with all the negatives I keep reading in the feedback/review section of the Apple site. One plus -- I'm a teacher and can get a bit of discount on both display and Apple Care (don't laugh -- it's saved my backside on two other purchases).

Sorry for the rambling, nearly incoherent quality of my post, but I'm desperate. Any quick suggestions/feedback would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance!

~Mark

Frank Petronio
8-Nov-2007, 18:30
Your brain will adapt! Really, after a day or two you won't notice it. Of course bigger is always better but just like cameras, the wallet is the limiting factor. And I think the 20-inch Apple is pretty sweet myself.

Walter Calahan
8-Nov-2007, 18:41
I'm waiting for Apple to replace their 23" with a larger model. After all the new iMacs have a 24" screen! I want two 24" monitors side by side. Simply can't justify two 30" monitors.

Right now I use a combo of Apple's original 22" monitor with an Apple 17". I understand why you like the 17" screen. The color and brilliance of the 22" monitor is crap compared to the new 23" screens.

Apple Care saved my 15" laptop twice from having to pay for a new motherboard. A good investment.

How long can you wait? I to enjoy an educator's discount, but don't want to spring for the 23" monitor. I'm hoping by Christmas they clear out their 20" and 23" monitors and introduce their next generation of screens. It's just a hope.

If you can wait, wait? If you can't, there are other monitors other than Apple you can use. I just don't know which are crap and which are great.

Scott Rosenberg
8-Nov-2007, 19:29
mark,

what's your budget? this screen is worth around $1700...

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=10799

Mark Carstens
9-Nov-2007, 06:47
Thanks for the input, my friends.

My budget is <$1,000, Scott, so the higher end options like a new LaCie 21" are out of my reach.

I'd be willing to consider the 23" Apple Cinema, but I'm reading a fair number of reports of either poor QC or simply inherent design flaws that have left many owners disappointed with their purchase.

I've located a reconditioned LaCie 321 for $785, but it only comes with a six month warranty and I don't know that LaCie offers extended warranty packages.

Scott, do you own the Lacie? BTW, good to hear from you. Hope things are well up in the Great Pacific Northwest!

~Mark

Ted Harris
9-Nov-2007, 06:51
The Apple 23" Cinema Display is 800 with Educator prices. IMO, there is not a lot else out there in that size range that good for that price. If slightly smaller works you can get a 19" Flexscan direct from Eizo for 450. The Flexscans don't have all the ells and whistles of the top-of-the line Eizo's but they are built like tanks and stay calibrated. We use a couple of Eizo's in our scanning workshops, they get shiped all over the country and keep on working.

false_Aesthetic
9-Nov-2007, 07:25
The lab at school I helped build just bought 20 Lacie 320s. They're NICE!!!

A bit more expensive (and 1" smaller) than the Apples BUT you have the added bonus of adjusting color temp, brightness and contrast on the monitor. (about $900 from b+h)

Cheers
T

Mark Carstens
9-Nov-2007, 08:11
Ted, how well does the Apple 23" take/hold calibration? I have an Eye-One Display2 that I use to calibrate my display.

Tom, same question for the LaCie...

THNX!
~Mark

Scott Rosenberg
9-Nov-2007, 10:14
mark,

sorry, i posted the wrong link!! i posted the link to the new 321, not the clearance one... the clearance one is here:

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/clearance/products/?id=10010

price is $785, though it sounds like you've already found it.

i'm running dual lacie lcd's... makes for a really nice display. though i must admit, i saw the 30" apple cinema display at my local camera store last week - wow! beautiful screen if you've got the pockets.

i've had no problems with the lacie screens... they calibrate easily and they seem to be relatively stable, that is to say there is very little change in the screens when i recalibrate at 45 (or 60) days. i don't know how they compare to an eizo, as i've never used one, but the lacie is working okay for my needs.

Nate Battles
9-Nov-2007, 11:12
you can try this site...Ocasionally they have really good deals on used Mac stuff...

http://www.macofalltrades.com/default.asp

I ordered a, ADC to DVI connecter for 1/2 price as new and it worked great.

Nate Battles
9-Nov-2007, 11:14
in fact right now thet have a 23" display for $699

Josh Z.
9-Nov-2007, 11:15
I would not recommend a Cinema display simply on cost. The 23" cinema display is a 1900x1200 dpi (same resolution as the 24" iMac btw). The panel in the 23" Cinema display is the same panel that's used in the 24" Dell monitor (2401WP ?). The only real difference is that they use different back lights. I have a lot of experience with both (I've used Cinema displays at work and own Dells) and can honestly say I don't see any difference in the display. In fact I like the stand on the Dell a bit more.

The Dell 24" can be had for under $600 with a 3 year warranty. The Cinema is generally about $1000 retail. Is the shiny aluminum case worth the extra $400? For me, it was clearly not.

Also, you may want to check out this blog entry on LCD panels:
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000991.html

(It's not really photo-centric)

Mark Carstens
9-Nov-2007, 12:54
Thanks, guys. Good info, all.

I followed up with LaCie on the extended warranty question -- that dog don't hunt. No extended warranty. Even at $785, I don't know how to fix a dead LCD if dies after the first six months I own it.

The Dell 2407WFP-HC has garnered some positive feedback.

The product link here:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-5647

I'm going to have to check back in later. This on again/off again screen is making me crazy!

~Mark

Frank Petronio
9-Nov-2007, 15:13
I've been burned by LaCie's short warranties. I guess I could prop a monitor up on the cases of their dead hard drives...

Nate Battles
9-Nov-2007, 15:51
I've been burned by LaCie's short warranties. I guess I could prop a monitor up on the cases of their dead hard drives...

Yeah I was thinking of getting one of those hard drives until I read all the horrible reviews.

Mark Carstens
9-Nov-2007, 15:51
Good to know, Frank. Their email reply to my extended warranty query was very telling. They wanted nothing to do with me. One of the few times I've received a four word statement from a major manufacturer. :confused:

~Mark

Ted Harris
9-Nov-2007, 19:21
Mark,

My 23" Cinema Display holds calibration very well. I calibrate it every couple of months whether it needs it or not and generally it doesn't. I use a Monaco XR btw.

Mark Carstens
9-Nov-2007, 20:23
Thanks, Ted.

I've done some research, and I'm leaning heavily toward the Apple 23". The downtown Apple store opens at 9:00AM... I can hardly wait!:D

~Mark