PDA

View Full Version : rangefinder on 4x5 view

Mick Noordewier
6-Nov-2007, 15:35
Frank Petronio recently posted a question about Crown/Super rangefinder accuracy.

This made me wonder: does anyone use a rangefinder on a non-coupled view camera? For example, attach a viewfinder and Fotoman rangefinder and use the focusing scale of a Shen-Hao 4x5. You could create several "standard" distances with each lens (e.g. 5', 10', 25', infinity), associate them with specific extensions, then use the view and range finders to frame and create correct camera/subject separation. An infinity "stop" would be useful in its own right for landscape.

It wouldn't make any sense if using movements, but for straight-on shots (landscapes, portraits) it would eliminate gg/darkcloth focusing if accurate enough. Being under a dark cloth is magic for 8x10, it's a pain in the neck for 4x5.

-Mick

David A. Goldfarb
6-Nov-2007, 16:42
I don't see why it shouldn't work. That's what I do with my 6x6 folder--a Voigtlander Perkeo II.

Greg Lockrey
6-Nov-2007, 16:52
On my old Speed Graphic I have multible scales to use with my range finder. The finder is calibrated to 150mm but I also have a scale for 90mm and 210mm. I focus and read the distance on the 150mm and set it for the distance for whatever lens I'm using.

Ash
7-Nov-2007, 01:09
I've often carried scale focus cameras and used a rangefinder (camera or pocket rf) to note the distance.

So long as you can guarantee your rig is sound, and there's no discrepencies between setup each time, you should be fine

Bobby Ironsights
7-Nov-2007, 01:53
It's a nice idea, but instead of adding another doo-dad that would probably cost in the hundreds of dollars....

You could just pick up an actual crown graphic for about a 100 bucks, and use the existing rangefinder. They are nice to have in their own right, and you can get custom cams for different lenses, affordably, and they make a nice melee weapon in case your needs turn from photography to mortal combat.