PDA

View Full Version : Prices higher or just an ebay aberration?

Jon Wilson
5-Nov-2007, 14:42
It seems, we have all seen the very high prices various items on ebay go for at times.....only to scratch our head and think...."it must be nice to have that sort of dollars laying around" or we might think...."was this a good buy or not?" Along that line of thought, I personally was amazed on the price this Dallymer lens sold for. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230185460786&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123 :eek:

Yes, I understand the economics...the last minute impulse purchase.....but I don't always have a "good feel" for the going market rate for some of these LF lens. This Dallmeyer 3D is a good example. I purchased one very similar to it, but someone in India installed an adjustable aperture inside the barrel. This one, with waterhouse slot, sold for more than 2 times my purchase price. I believe the purchaser will enjoy this lens; especially given its length, coverage, and the images I believe it is capable of producing. But again, what is reasonable? I tend to ponder this question given the number of LF lens I have acquired over the last few years and the number of images I actually produce wit them......the cost vs. shot is not good! But, the versitility of having the collection to choose from is priceless! :D

Any thoughts, observations, etc.? Was this a good buy?

Jon

Walter Calahan
5-Nov-2007, 14:53
If you use the lens to make images that please you, then it's a good buy. If not, it's an expensive paperweight.

Have fun with it.

Ron Marshall
5-Nov-2007, 14:55
A few times I have seen lenses sold on Ebay for more than their price new.

The good thing about LF lenses is that in most cases, if purchased used in very good condition, they can be sold for about what was paid for them. The difference in price, together with the opportunity cost, I look upon as a very modest rental fee.

walter23
5-Nov-2007, 14:55
I got suckered into paying $350 for a turner reich 12/21/28" triple that didn't even come with the flange. I was motivated to get it because it was originally on the camera I bought (same seller), and I thought the seller was sending me the flange & lens board for it with the camera (turns out he sent the wrong damned lens board for a different camera and I haven't been able to get the right one from him). Also it was the same week that Galli was hyping his Turner Reich so maybe it was a bad time; I wanted to pay less but had a last second collision with another nasty sniper.

I saw one go for $220 just this week.

On the bright side my lens is very clean and clear for such an old lens, the betax shutter works perfectly, and the edge separation on it is extremely minimal (>1mm). Also came with caps and a filter adapter. I knew it was used in relatively modern times which is part of the reason I was interested in it (figuring it may have had a relatively recent CLA or at least hasn't been sitting and seizing up over the years) and in that respect I'm not too disappointed.

Ole Tjugen
5-Nov-2007, 15:11
Prices are up, but the US Dollar is down. So far down that it ends up being quite cheap to us foreigners.

There will always be the odd lens that gets caught up in a bidding frenzy and sells for far more than it's worth. But even keeping those out of the tally, I'd say that prices are up. There are few real bargains around, so I increasingly often find myself using BIN if there is something I really want - as long as the price is reasonable.

Dave_B
5-Nov-2007, 17:13
Prices are up, but the US Dollar is down. So far down that it ends up being quite cheap to us foreigners.

There will always be the odd lens that gets caught up in a bidding frenzy and sells for far more than it's worth. But even keeping those out of the tally, I'd say that prices are up. There are few real bargains around, so I increasingly often find myself using BIN if there is something I really want - as long as the price is reasonable.

BIN?

Ron Marshall
5-Nov-2007, 17:25
BIN?

Buy it now!

Dave_B
5-Nov-2007, 18:19
Buy it now!

Thanks. I was wondering if BIN was some new store or dealer that I haven't heard about where I could buy used lenses to satisfy my addiction.
Cheers,
Dave B.