PDA

View Full Version : PS approach for fogged Velvia 100 shot?

keithwms
5-Nov-2007, 09:23
Alas, one of my favourite shots from a recent trip was taken on 5x7 velvia 100 and unfortunately it is a bit fogged here and there. The detail seems good but I coudln;t print it like this, so my tack will be to scan and PS and then probably go with lightjet output.

The problem is the PS part! Has anyone developed a strategy for dealing with this type of thing- coloured fog?

Here is the image and the offending fog, scanned at rather low res on a flatbed. Incidentally the fog is somehow more noticeable in the scan than on the chrome itself :(

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c76/keithwms/lichen_fog_sm.jpg

My initial thought is to copy the red channel and go to Lab mode and paste the red channel into the L channel, and make an overlay etc. I am somewhat opposed to selective editing solutions but will go that way for fine tuning if necessary. It just seems to me that this whitish-cyan kind of fog has such an unnatural colour that there should be a global solution to remove most of it. True?

One other thing, I am not going to print enormously, many of these 5x7 velvia captures were done at 1:1 and that's roughly how I would intend to print them... 1:1 or maybe a bit larger.

P.S. The only suggestion that I forbid is to tell me to crop out the fogged portion ;)

P.P.S. Walter: thanks for your suggestions on the other site, that may be the only way to go, but I am still hoping for a more global approach so I will ask for help here as well.

Preston
17-Nov-2007, 17:21
Keith,

I have a 4x5 Astia shot of a juniper detail that has some fog. I carefully used 'Color Range' dropper to select the spots and then saved the selection as a channel. Once the selction was saved, I was able to work on it and get rid of the fog. It took some time, but the results were worth the effort.

I hope this helps.

-Preston