PDA

View Full Version : Your choise of paper for B&W inkjet?

Eirik Berger
4-Nov-2007, 08:53
I have tried several papers for my B&W inkjet setup, in the search for my favorite. All from cottonbased rag-papers to ultra glossy ones. I am not quite satsified yet, but I realize that I am looking for a semi matte quality with the ability to reach high Dmax.

What are your favorite papers for B&W inkjet?

Kirk Gittings
4-Nov-2007, 10:46
Not sure that there really is a "semi-mat". There are smooth mats to very toothy mats. The highest d-max mat papers available are Epson Velvet Fine Art and Crane Museo Max. Both of which are pretty toothy.

Brian Ellis
4-Nov-2007, 14:12
I use matte papers almost exclusively. However, I recently tried the new Harman glossy paper and liked it though I don't think it will replace Moab Entrada Fine Art Natural and Moab Entrada Fine Art Bright as my papers of choice. While it's called "glossy" it's closer to the old fiber base darkroom glossy printing papers (i.e. a fairly subtle gloss) than to the high gloss RC darkroom papers and may be just what you're looking for.

Eirik Berger
4-Nov-2007, 14:16
I have read about the new Harman paper, and is tempted to try it. The US dealers I have talked to will ship this overseas (norwegian distributors dont have it yet).

Tyler Boley
4-Nov-2007, 15:14
http://shadesofpaper.com/productinfo.php?&id=327

great stuff...
Tyler

Eirik Berger
4-Nov-2007, 15:26
I mailed with Jim Doyle at Shadesofpaper (nice guy), asking about several papers including the Harman glossy. He was not sure how it would perform with 3rd party inks and would appreciate feedback when I had tried.

Time will show.

Kirk Gittings
4-Nov-2007, 15:32
I wasn't aware the baryta base Harman papers were available in matte. How does this look compared to a premium rag mat paper? Anybody tried it?

Ted Harris
4-Nov-2007, 17:20
Kirk, it comes in both a neutral and warm matte. Actually, I believe I sent you a print done on the neutral matte but that may be my brain failing. I have not tried the warm matte yet. I am very pleased with the neutral version.

I've also just started testing the Ilford Gallerie Gold Fibre Silk, another baryta based paper. It is similar to the Harman but not quite as glossy.

Kirk Gittings
4-Nov-2007, 17:22
Kirk, it comes in both a neutral and warm matte. Actually, I believe I sent you a print done on the neutral matte but that may be my brain failing. I have not tried the warm matte yet. I am very pleased with the neutral version.

I've also just started testing the Ilford Gallerie Gold Fibre Silk, another baryta based paper. It is similar to the Harman but not quite as glossy.

I hate to say it but there are almost too many choices out there these days! I can't begin to keep up.

SamReeves
4-Nov-2007, 18:24
The regular Epson heavyweight matte works just fine for me.

Ted Harris
4-Nov-2007, 19:39
Kirk,

So true! There are entire ranges of paper that I haven't tried.

tucker.john
10-Jan-2008, 02:34
In my view paper quality should be good, then only prints look professional.I can assure you that i have got one site which offers quality inkjet papers for printing.I just tried it which I got from freephotopaper (http://freephotopaper.com/inkjet_papers.htm) and i should say that i am very much satisfied with the quality.I suggest you order today itself and get your's and try it out.