PDA

View Full Version : Lee vs Cokin P Holders?

R Mann
28-Oct-2007, 20:27
Not having the opportunity to handle both of these systems - what is the difference in build quality and function? I know Lee is more expensive, but do you buy long life and better materials/design with Lee? or is Lee pricing just a result of a higher mark up and limited distribution? I am looking for something simple - a double filter holder that attaches to the lens filter ring with the option of using a hood at times.

rippo
28-Oct-2007, 22:58
i use the cokin filters, and - in my limited experience - have had no problems with them. there are so many ways to screw up an LF shot, the difference between filters is so far down the list...

Geert
29-Oct-2007, 00:32
I also use the Cokin P system. I had the luck of buying some basic sets (filter holder + cap) and they stay on the lenses anytime.
The polarizer and orange filter are original Cokin and perform well. Yellow, red and grads are a cheap chinese brand and do their job as expected.

On my Toyo monorail, the P system fits inside the compendium.

Some might oppose to the use of cheap filters on expensive lenses but I have yet to find proof against this combination. Just make sure you know the exposure compensation.

Greetings,
G

Dave Parker
29-Oct-2007, 09:39
If I remember right, you can use the P holder for quite a few different companies filters, the holder is a holder, if you want higher quality filters, the holder is really not a big part of the equation, I use the cokin holders for other filters with no ill effects, and have no problem with them. I also use some cokin filters, but have found some of them are not all that good due to distortion and other things that have crept up, but as far as the holder, no problems here.

Dave

CG
29-Oct-2007, 10:23
The Lee hood is why I went with Lee. It just stays in the length you pull it out to. No clamps or other gear. I don't know how they make it flex when you pull on it, but stay when you let go. It just works very well.

C

Eric James
29-Oct-2007, 11:08
To complicate matters, Lee makes a hood for Cokin P.

I have a good deal invested in Singh Ray filters for Cokin P but I'm thinking about moving to Lee because of some vignetting problems with favorite lenses.

timparkin
31-Oct-2007, 11:18
I've had Cokin filters and they were bad (thin, flimsy, prone to scratching and colour casts). I've had Cokin filter holders and they've been OK but awkward to put on and remove and plasticky. I've had HiTech filters which were colour OK but thin and slightly prone to scratch. Lee Holder is very well made (to the point it saved my 16-35 in a trpod collapse) and is very easy to put on and remove. The Lee filters don't seem to scratch and are very robust (twice the thickness of cokin) and also colour correct.

big_ben_blue
31-Oct-2007, 11:42
To complicate matters, Lee makes a hood for Cokin P.

I own one of the Lee hoods for Cokin P holders - one of the two reasons why I still have a P-holder in my kit (the other reason being a few cheap star filters for "special effects"). The P-system is surely adequate for smaller to midsize lenses, considering one uses quality made filters (Singh-Ray, Hi-Tech, Lee). I am not too fond of Cokin's own filters - too much hit'n miss for my taste. Cokin's ND/grads filters can be everything but neutral; while not a problem with the B/W crowd or the digital warrier armed with Photoshop, the colour film shooter might be tempted to release some not so PC verbal renditions;) . I am slowly switching over to a 4x4 based system (slowly, as it's so prohibitly expensive).
BTW, just to complicate matters even more, Cokin now distributes/makes a so-called "Xpro" system; larger in size than the P, and pricewise up in the high-end league. Haven't seen it in real life however (and can't therefor comment on it's quality etc...).

v gese
31-Oct-2007, 14:10
Used the Cokin P with my old Nikon for years, worked ok but when got serious about LF, invested in the Lee filter holder. The Lee works without any vignetting problems for all my lenses from 75mm to 600mm (standardized all to 82mm threads with step-up rings). The Lee compendium lens shade is great. While I use Singh-Ray 4x6 graduated ND filters, the few Lee filters I've used (color compensating filters) perform well. The whole Lee system is very well made, the holders robust and easy to use. Have absolutely no complaints. While the lee holder and hood cost more than the Cokin, you definitely get a better product, IMHO.
Vance Gese

Ben Chase
31-Oct-2007, 14:43
Not having the opportunity to handle both of these systems - what is the difference in build quality and function? I know Lee is more expensive, but do you buy long life and better materials/design with Lee? or is Lee pricing just a result of a higher mark up and limited distribution? I am looking for something simple - a double filter holder that attaches to the lens filter ring with the option of using a hood at times.

Well since your question is regarding the systems themselves, I'll address that part.

I used the P system for a very long time when I shot smaller formats - 35mm up to 6x7. Now shooting 4x5, I am finding the P holders to be more of a nuisance than anything.

Enter the Lee system. The Lee filters are larger, and I believe the holder to be of better construction than the P system. Honestly, I think the largest benefit you will have by using the Lee system is the size of the filters. I don't even use the holder anymore and just resort to hand-holding all of my filters which saves a lot of time.

I think you'd be better served by buying the larger Lee-sized filters and handholding them. You don't have to stick with Lee-brand materials (although they are good), you can also use Singh-ray filters, which IMHO are the best out there.

Ben

Eric James
31-Oct-2007, 15:13
Has anyone ever successfully sued this forum for enabling stark-raving consumers such as myself? Vance, Ben - would you provide your middle name and mailing address?

roteague
31-Oct-2007, 17:34
I used to use the Cokin system, but switched over to Lee. The difference is obvious, the Lee system is much higher quality.

tgtaylor
1-Nov-2007, 15:26
For what its worth, Cokin makes a Cokin Z holder which looks identical to the Lee "Foundation" but cost about half as much. Like the Lee, its a well made holder and it will take all Lee, Sing Ray, Hi-Tech, etc 4x4 (i.e., 100mm) filters. You can adjust for filter thickness without tools. With the exception of the neutral grads, I've been using Cokin P filters for years without problems. However I need a 100mm filter on my 45mm and 55mm 6x7 lens, and 75mm and 90mm 4x5 lens so that's the reason I went with the Z. The filter connection offers a good deal on filters and holders: Check them out.

Gary Tarbert
2-Nov-2007, 02:18
I have only used Lee & Cokin switched from cokin to Lee so i suppose from my perspective that answers your question.Cheers Gary

Carsten Wolff
2-Nov-2007, 03:30
The Lee Pro-Hood is indeed great and also comes in a lovely, affordable, compact and useful version for the Cokin P system. The pros and cons of Cokin vs Lee, Hightech, Singh-Ray, Tiffen and the lot, as well as resin vs. glass in general have been discussed in various forums ad-nauseam. The problem for me would have been getting the (for me: mostly non-Cokin) filters I'd want in that 84mm size. Heaps of grads and funky stuff out there, but try to get e.g. good 84mm ND solids, - let alone in glass - and you're stuffed (anyone knowing better/otherwise?). Back to 4x4"...or screw-in; for me anyway.

R Mann
2-Nov-2007, 10:14
Thanks for the all the responses - I guess I will be looking into the Cokin Z holder - which I was unaware of until mentioned here - or a Lee.