PDA

View Full Version : tripod head for 810

Songyun
28-Oct-2007, 11:05
Which tripod head would you recommend for a 810?
I am currently using Z1 for my 4X5, is Z1 good enough for a light weight 810? (between 5 lbs to 8 lbs)
Does anyone using quick release system for 810? What is the longest arca type quick release plate on the market?

David A. Goldfarb
28-Oct-2007, 11:27
RRS makes very long "multipurpose plates" if you want a really long one. They also have one that's about 3-4" with two screws and a wider top surface that works well with flatbeds (plate number B35 if I remember correctly). I have one on my 7x17" Korona, and it works well, even with the camera on its side for verticals (I've added a second tripod socket to the camera to keep the camera from twisting on the plate in the vertical orientation).

Ken Lee
28-Oct-2007, 11:51
I use the Manfrotto 3275 410 tripod head. It lets you make geared fine adjustments in 3 directions, independently. It's small, light, and strong. It's a treat to make adjustments this way: there is no drift. It worked nicely with my Shen Hao 8x10. As you can see in the photo, there is a nice hefty quick release plate.

Mark Stahlke
28-Oct-2007, 13:45
I can also recommend the Manfrotto 410. I use it with a K. B. Canham 8x10. The geared adjustments are a godsend.

Songyun
28-Oct-2007, 15:05
RRS makes very long "multipurpose plates" if you want a really long one. They also have one that's about 3-4" with two screws and a wider top surface that works well with flatbeds (plate number B35 if I remember correctly). I have one on my 7x17" Korona, and it works well, even with the camera on its side for verticals (I've added a second tripod socket to the camera to keep the camera from twisting on the plate in the vertical orientation).
Thanks David, I just saw an 8" plate made by Kirk on Ebay. I think that is long enough. What tripod head do you use?

Songyun
28-Oct-2007, 15:09
I use the Manfrotto 3275 410 tripod head. It lets you make geared fine adjustments in 3 directions, independently. It's small, light, and strong. It's a treat to make adjustments this way: there is no drift. It worked nicely with my Shen Hao 8x10. As you can see in the photo, there is a nice hefty quick release plate.

Ken,
The manfrotto 410 was listed supports 11lbs. How does that work with a 810 and a copal 3 shutter lens?

Walter Calahan
28-Oct-2007, 15:30
I love Really Right Stuff products. I use their gear. But for 8x10, I don't use quick release. I like having as much tripod head connection to the base of my 8x10 camera as possible. It's all about stability for these massive cameras and lenses.

For 8x10 I use the Ries double tilt head. http://www.riestripod.com/head.htm

I've never been slowed down in setting up for a shot.

David A. Goldfarb
28-Oct-2007, 16:31
Thanks David, I just saw an 8" plate made by Kirk on Ebay. I think that is long enough. What tripod head do you use?

That should be plenty. Long clamps are about 3-4 inches, so a plate longer than that just gives you the ability to adjust the camera for balance, which changes with different lenses and bellows extensions. Do you have more than one tripod socket? Having two or more screws improves stability and prevents the camera from twisting on the plate.

I'm currently using an Arca-Swiss B2. Previously I used mainly a Gitzo G1570M in the field or a Majestic on my studio stand. I noticed a nice looking B2 on eBay yesterday.

Vaughn
28-Oct-2007, 18:57
...SNIP...For 8x10 I use the Ries double tilt head. I've never been slowed down in setting up for a shot.

I was photographing today with my 8x10 on a Reis pod and Reis double tilt head. I set up on top of some fallen redwoods. Working 8 or more feet above the ground, it is nice to have a well built pod and head. Tilting the base of the head 90 degrees to the ground makes attaching the camera very easy...without having to do any gymnastics, one can easily see the head screw and the bottom of the camera to match them up.

I have used a Majestic geared head. I attached the camera so that the geared movement controlled the horizon line...that is a sweet way to go.

Vaughn

Rory_5244
28-Oct-2007, 22:20
I use a good old AS B1 for 8x10.

Christopher Breitenstein
29-Oct-2007, 00:01
ries model A or J.

Yours;

Christopher J Breitenstein
www.ChristopherJBreitenstein.com

LargeFormatShooter
29-Oct-2007, 17:35
Mr. Songyun: We have use Manfrotto 400 heads on Foba stand when we must shoot in studio. It is very nice to use head. But is very heavy.

For when we must shoot out of studio we have Manfrotto 405 head that is gear and is very nice to use head too.

Songyun
29-Oct-2007, 18:03
Thanks everyone, I will choose between keep my Z1 or a Ries. Manfrotto is nice, but I don't want to invest in one more quick release system.

Ron McElroy
29-Oct-2007, 18:07
I using a Bogen/Manfrotto 3039 with the 4 inch quick release plates for my Agfa Ansco 8x10. Its seems to be very stable, but the quick release isn't as quick as my Linhof quick release system.