PDA

View Full Version : Traditional photography at Photo Plus Expo

steve simmons
24-Oct-2007, 09:34
For those of us interested in traditional photography I think Photo Plus was a plus. Ilford was there announcing that they weill continue all of the Kentmere products as well as their own after the acquisition, Freestyle announced they will continue to carry Kentmere products, Kodak has announced a new and improved T-Max 400, Fuji was promoting their newly released Velvia, there was a panel on the importance and future of black and white with concern expressed but positive feelings as well, etc., etc. Kodal, Fuji, and Ilford have all been surprised at the resiliency of the sheet film market, etc., etc.

Sorry, no doom and gloom here.

steve simmons

David Karp
24-Oct-2007, 09:45
Don't be sorry.

What concerns were voiced?

JPlomley
24-Oct-2007, 09:49
This is excellent news for one who dropped all his Canon DSLR gear to fund an Arca Swiss, Rodenstock glass, and lots of film. The first six months into LF has been mostly a positive experience (thanks to the excellent contributers on this forum) and the prints I am able to produce at 16x20 and larger far exceed anything I could do with the Canon system. I'm hoping to get at least 5 years out of 4x5 film before it is gone forever (I am talking strictly chrome film).

davidb
24-Oct-2007, 09:52
I think it is terrific news.

I am not one bit surprised.

Thanks for letting us know.

Ash
24-Oct-2007, 10:01
I'm hoping to get at least 5 years out of 4x5 film before it is gone forever (I am talking strictly chrome film).

A five year death sentence? I'll have to refuse to believe that or else I might be dead by 25!

Let's hope Ilford survive at an affordable price :)

JPlomley
24-Oct-2007, 13:44
Yep, five years. If there is nowhere to get E6 processed, then Fuji and Kodak can manufacture as much film as they want, but it is not going to sell. Labs are shutting down at a phenomeneal rate while Fuji continues to bring out new E6 emulsions. This sends mixed signals at best. If Fuji and Kodak want film manufacturing to continue as a viable business, then they will need to open up E6 processing labs to support it. One lab for every major city would probably do the trick.

Ash
24-Oct-2007, 13:55
That's all based on theory. Although you could see the closing of labs as an exponential curve, it could soon tail off.

The market is run by the customer, so if there are enough photographers who wish to shoot film for, say, 10 to 20 years and their voice is heard then the market and manufacturers/processors/retailers will respond.

Edit: E6 can also be processed at home. The dedicated will ALWAYS find a way :) (just look at alt-processes!)

naturephoto1
24-Oct-2007, 13:56
E6 film will be around for much more than 5 years. There are still a reasonable number of larger and even smaller cities with labs processing (though with less frequency) transparencies. My local Pro Lab (VIP) is in Bethlehem, PA with a population of about 71,300. The town that I live in has a population of only 2400 and the lab is close enough to drop off film for processing and they do an excellent job.

Rich

darr
24-Oct-2007, 14:09
Thanks for the update Steve!

John Kasaian
24-Oct-2007, 14:30
Yes, thanks for the good news! :) Heck Steve, thanks for the great news!:D

JPlomley
24-Oct-2007, 15:10
Richard/Ash, I am hoping film will be around longer than five years, but am not as skeptical given the closure of six local labs in the last two years, with just one pro lab remaining. After that lab folds, I guess I have to start shipping, and then I will begin to question whether it is worth the hassle/effort and risk of having those valuable images lost in the mail.

Capocheny
24-Oct-2007, 20:15
Steve,

Absolutely nothing to be sorry about.

Good news is great news. :)

Cheers

Greg Lockrey
24-Oct-2007, 20:36
Yep, five years. If there is nowhere to get E6 processed, then Fuji and Kodak can manufacture as much film as they want, but it is not going to sell. Labs are shutting down at a phenomeneal rate while Fuji continues to bring out new E6 emulsions. This sends mixed signals at best. If Fuji and Kodak want film manufacturing to continue as a viable business, then they will need to open up E6 processing labs to support it. One lab for every major city would probably do the trick.

But it is so easy to do yourself.:confused:

Capocheny
24-Oct-2007, 20:43
If Fuji and Kodak want film manufacturing to continue as a viable business, then they will need to open up E6 processing labs to support it.

I agree... and they have to process more than just 35 mm. One of the larger drugstore chains here in Vancouver have labs in most of their stores.

But, try and get them to process 4x5 or larger... they look at you like you've just arrived from some other galaxy.

And, of course, we (as consumers and end-users) need to support these same labs. :)

Cheers

Uri Kolet
24-Oct-2007, 21:54
That's the reason I bought 27 boxes of 4x5 Velvia last year 90% off(apart from keeping my Panatomic-X company!) Every time I return from a flight the wife has sneaked more FOOD into the fridge; I keep explaining to her that at our age and weight the fridge is ONLY for fillm. She claims my film killed her last fridge, and bought me a mini-fridge for Father's Day, which I promptly refunded - and bought more film!
P.S. Is it true that 1-hour labs can actually process 120 film quite easily?

Greg Lockrey
24-Oct-2007, 22:05
That's the reason I bought 27 boxes of 4x5 Velvia last year 90% off(apart from keeping my Panatomic-X company!) Every time I return from a flight the wife has sneaked more FOOD into the fridge; I keep explaining to her that at our age and weight the fridge is ONLY for fillm. She claims my film killed her last fridge, and bought me a mini-fridge for Father's Day, which I promptly refunded - and bought more film!

:D :D :D

Depends on the machine.

Capocheny
24-Oct-2007, 22:07

Uri,

Not that I know of...

Cheers

PS: G. King Photo isn't a 1-hour lab but give them a call (604.873.9329) and ask them. :)

steve simmons
25-Oct-2007, 04:24
I started this thread because there are so many people predicting the demise of film and traditional photography.

I think we can relax and keep working.

steve simmons

JPlomley
25-Oct-2007, 05:18
Apologies for the negativity. Did not intend to derail the intent of the thread. Just voiceing a concern from my neck of the woods. I love LF landscape photography and chrome film and am glad that I made the transition six months ago. It would truly break my heart to have this enjoyment cut short.

Ted Harris
25-Oct-2007, 05:28
I'll even add a note that, hopefully, turns the negativity around. No doubt that labs are closing and/or shutting don their film processing lines. The ones that remain, however, are the labs that are dedicated to serving our needs; the needs of professional and serious amateur photographers. The labs that are with us will be with us for a long time. Many of them have always done done smaller volume but done it carefully. I can think of a couple of labs that have closed in New Hampshire in the past few years and, with one exception, it has been no great loss. They were labs that were careless with processing, careless with film and catered to the consumer; not labs where I would take my film in the first place. I can, on the other hand, think of a number of labs across the country which cater to the professional, are run by dedicated passionate photographers/photo craftsmen, are successful small businesses and will stay with us as long as their owners are around.

I consider myself blessed that one of these labs is local to my neck of the woods. OTOH, I process my own E6 most of the time and it really is no big deal.

Greg Lockrey
25-Oct-2007, 05:36
Maybe I'll have to reopen my custom wet lab.;) ;) The one-hour labs killed me in the '80s. It would be enough just to do E-6 I would think. But in a metro area with just 4 camera stores and none are doing well, is there really a market?

bob carnie
25-Oct-2007, 06:06
Greg
This is absolutely the right time to open a small custom lab, a dedicated owner operated film printing operation is a very viable niche possibility.
I started my film/printing lab in 91 dedicated to silver printing* Silver Shack*.
everyone of my lab friends said I was crazy as there was already good BW labs in town. Today I am one of the last BW labs standing and we are very busy.
When every large lab is getting rid of B&W there will be pissed clients looking for your service.
Go to every camera store within 300 miles and tell them you are in operation, you will get the work.

Maybe I'll have to reopen my custom wet lab.;) ;) The one-hour labs killed me in the '80s. It would be enough just to do E-6 I would think. But in a metro area with just 4 camera stores and none are doing well, is there really a market?

Greg Lockrey
25-Oct-2007, 06:23
Thanks Bob, I got out of custom B&W about ten years ago and started this digital printing. If my digital printing was slow I would really consider it. Actually now I work 7 days 12 hours as it is. I'm even picking up work from a nationally known frame shop who has a side business of doing custom printing for artists. Apparently there is a lot they can't seem to do for their clients and they send them to me. I have considered getting a Phototherm SideKick automatic processor to handle E-6 which I do for clients that need slides to submit to shows and then advertise the lab service.

davidb
25-Oct-2007, 09:50
greg, i think the key would be letting the photo world know that you exist, which would mean a lot of advertising and spending time on the internet.

I think it's a great idea.

D. Bryant
25-Oct-2007, 10:10
By and large, NO! The demand for 120 film processing is too low for small processors to service.

Don Bryant

RPNugent
25-Oct-2007, 11:04
I guess my local one hour labs are different. They all do 120 film on a regular basis. They may not be able to print it with the right mask, one does only 6x6 while another will do 6x7 as well. Best to ask your local shop.

roteague
25-Oct-2007, 11:10
Every time I return from a flight the wife has sneaked more FOOD into the fridge

Waiting for you to stop by again someday.

I just returned from a trip to Australia on Air Pacific, via Nadi, Fiji (and Christmas Island on the way home). I didn't know you could fly a 737 so far.

Dave Parker
25-Oct-2007, 13:48
Uri,

Not that I know of...

Cheers

PS: G. King Photo isn't a 1-hour lab but give them a call (604.873.9329) and ask them. :)

The majority of film labs that have 35mm 1 hour processing can also process 120 film, the machine is the same, the process is the same, I can get 35mm or 120 processed in E-6 in about an hour here locally and I live in a small town, it depends on IF the people running the lab are training their people correctly, but there is virtually no difference in the two film sizes..as far as processing goes...

Dave

Dave Parker
25-Oct-2007, 13:53
By and large, NO! The demand for 120 film processing is too low for small processors to service.

Don Bryant

I disagree Don, the process is the same, the cards that run through the machine are the same, it is not that difficult, takes no more time at all if your using a roller processing machine, you load the 120 into a black canister, tape the edges and feed the card into the machine, very simple to do, it don't take any extra time or money to process 120 over 35mm, heck I just had 40 rolls of 120 processed on Monday, and I took them in on Saturday, they were ready at noon on Monday and came out beautiful.

Dave

Dave Parker
25-Oct-2007, 13:54
I guess my local one hour labs are different. They all do 120 film on a regular basis. They may not be able to print it with the right mask, one does only 6x6 while another will do 6x7 as well. Best to ask your local shop.

The local lab here has masks that cover all 120 film formats from 645 to 6x9! and can print them if your shooting C41, they can also process in the same amount of time the pano formats on 120...If you have a lab locally that knows what the heck they are doing, they can process 120 film with no problems at all..

Dave

Capocheny
25-Oct-2007, 19:18
The majority of film labs that have 35mm 1 hour processing can also process 120 film, the machine is the same, the process is the same, I can get 35mm or 120 processed in E-6 in about an hour here locally and I live in a small town, it depends on IF the people running the lab are training their people correctly, but there is virtually no difference in the two film sizes..as far as processing goes...

Dave

Hi Dave,

I don't necessarily disagree with you in regards to the processing capabilities of these machines. However, it's more of an issue of whether they "will" process 120 inside an hour or not.

I don't know of too many places here in Vancouver that WILL do 120 processing in an hour.

However, I stand to be corrected. :)

Cheers

Dave Parker
25-Oct-2007, 20:08
Hi Dave,

I don't necessarily disagree with you in regards to the processing capabilities of these machines. However, it's more of an issue of whether they "will" process 120 inside an hour or not.

I don't know of too many places here in Vancouver that WILL do 120 processing in an hour.

However, I stand to be corrected. :)

Cheers

Hi,

I can't understand why they would not do it, like I said, the lab here locally does it in an hour for me! Now, it may be because I worked there for several years and know what it takes to do it, but we used to do it for others when I worked there, so I can't imagine I am getting special treatment.

Dave

william linne
25-Oct-2007, 20:32
AFAIK, most one hour places don't have the right reels to process 120. Why would they? If you are running the photo lab at the local Rite Aid, why would you try and convince your boss to buy that reel?

Canon is apparently hard at work on a 40 megapixel DSLR. I see the new IDS Mk III having a big impact on the medium format digital sector. There are fewer and fewer viable platforms to mount the increasingly expensive digital backs on. Hasselblad has just closed off their system with the new H3D's and what are you gonna mount your Phase back onto? I think the trend of "amateurs" buying up cheap used medium format equipment and the resurgence of interest in LF bodes well for the future of LF film. Sure, the processing side of it will see some heavy consolidation, but so what? Keep shooting....

W.

Dave Parker
25-Oct-2007, 20:40
The machine, I worked on in the lab, did not require any special reels, it was simply a small canister that we used for both 120 and 220 film, it was a noritisu and they cost about $3.50 each, we took the film off the 120 reel in a counter top darkbox, put in the canister, taped to the edge of the card and inserted into the processing machine, be it E6 or C41, our local walmart, and walgreens both have them as they are not expensive and the film runs the same way as 35mm film..

Dave

Capocheny
25-Oct-2007, 20:54
Hi,

I can't understand why they would not do it, like I said, the lab here locally does it in an hour for me! Now, it may be because I worked there for several years and know what it takes to do it, but we used to do it for others when I worked there, so I can't imagine I am getting special treatment.

Dave

Dave,

Admittedly, I haven't shot 120 for a number of years. So, who knows? Perhaps, you're right and they've changed things.

The next time I'm by a 1-hour photo lab... I'll stop in and ask. :)

Cheers

Stephen Willard
25-Oct-2007, 20:58
I believe that digital has been very good for the LF sheet film industry. DSLR people who are maturing as serious photographers are looking for a better solution that is more powerful and distinguishes them from the millions of other DSLR people. LF photography is becoming just the ticket. I believe there currently is very strong growth for LF cameras. Here is some data points to support this.

1. I just returned from a three week fall shoot in Colorado. Last year I met up with nine 4x5 LF photographers. This year my tally sheet said I bumped into 57 LF photographers. Three of them were shooting 8x10s, and two were using 11x14s. The rest were shooting 4x5. I was the only one who was shooting 5x7 and 4x10. It seemed every time I turned the corner there was a LF photographer. I suspect next year will even be better. If I could only buy stock in a LF camera company, I would do it in a heart beat.

2. Before I left for my trip I read an article in the local newspaper about how Kodak surveyed 12,000 (I think it was that many) professional photographers about their personal preference for film or digital. 70% said they preferred film over digital, and when there clients had no preference, then they used film.

3. I am investigating purchasing an Ebony SV810U camera from Badger Graphics sometime in March. I just received email from them stating that Ebony is very very busy and to allow at least eight weeks to receive the order. I am also looking at a Lotus, and they said basically the same thing.

4. It is a seven hour commute through the mountains of Colorado to visit my newly wed daughter in Durango. I made two trips so far this year, and each time I saw at least one LF guy making magic on the road side. This has never happened before.

Based I my own personal observations, I believe the future for LF photography is bright and sunny, and there is nothing to worry about.

SAShruby
25-Oct-2007, 22:11
Dave,

Admittedly, I haven't shot 120 for a number of years. So, who knows? Perhaps, you're right and they've changed things.

The next time I'm by a 1-hour photo lab... I'll stop in and ask. :)

Cheers

Well, this is just another example of many, making statement without knowing for sure what the local labs in Vancouver can do or cannot do. :confused: Taking sides is not a qualitative contribution to any conversation.

Quite Sad.

Capocheny
26-Oct-2007, 01:49
Well, this is just another example of many, making statement without knowing for sure what the local labs in Vancouver can do or cannot do. :confused: Taking sides is not a qualitative contribution to any conversation.

Quite Sad.

Peter,

LOL... I hope your "qualitative" statement made your day! :D

Maretzo
26-Oct-2007, 04:23
No please, give us at least 20 years! My fridge is full of those!! :eek:

Randy H
26-Oct-2007, 05:08
Well, this is just another example of many, making statement without knowing for sure what the local labs in Vancouver can do or cannot do

I live in a larger major metro area, we have two labs left that process 120 in-house. None that "WILL" do anything larger. I don't necessarily think it is a matter of "ability" of these other places to process it. It is IMO a lack of "willingness" or proper training to do so, of that 18-year-old/minimum-wage/never-seen-nothing-like-that associate behind the glass counter. I took some E6 in to the local WalMart and it took me 20 minutes to convince the person that I really-really "wanted" it processed C41 (particular appearance for shots taken) They kept insisting they would have to send it out to have it processed. That's cool.
Long live LF and home darkrooms. :cool:

JPlomley
26-Oct-2007, 07:20
Canon is apparently hard at work on a 40 megapixel DSLR.

Hopefully they are working equally hard on lenses that match the capability of the sensor. Canon's wide angles leave a lot to be desired. Hopefully Zeiss will start manufacturing lenses for the EOS mount. Until then, I'm sticking with 4x5.

D. Bryant
26-Oct-2007, 08:14
The machine, I worked on in the lab, did not require any special reels, it was simply a small canister that we used for both 120 and 220 film, it was a noritisu and they cost about $3.50 each, we took the film off the 120 reel in a counter top darkbox, put in the canister, taped to the edge of the card and inserted into the processing machine, be it E6 or C41, our local walmart, and walgreens both have them as they are not expensive and the film runs the same way as 35mm film..

Dave
Dave,

Most one hour labs or should I say all one hour labs in metro Atlanta will not process 120 film on premises. Instead they agrregate the film (if they get any) and ship it to a lab that can provide the service. Cost for their service is $8 to $12 per roll and service time is 7 to 10 days!

Don Bryant

SAShruby
26-Oct-2007, 08:45
Peter,

LOL... I hope your "qualitative" statement made your day! :D

My statements doesn't make my days. What I accomplish makes may day. Only egocentrics likes what they say. I just stated a fact that can be confirmed. If anybody interested he can check themsevles. Like looking at your last 150 posts.

Dave Parker
26-Oct-2007, 08:45
Dave,

Most one hour labs or should I say all one hour labs in metro Atlanta will not process 120 film on premises. Instead they agrregate the film (if they get any) and ship it to a lab that can provide the service. Cost for their service is $8 to $12 per roll and service time is 7 to 10 days!

Don Bryant

Thanks Don,

That surprises me, I guess I have been blessed as our local lab is set up to do this kind of work, but, of course, I guess we are behind the times here, the lab I worked at and now does my work for me still processes over 100 rolls of MF film a week, I guess we are high up in the percentages of who still shoots 120 around here. Might be because our Local High School and Community College still teaches film photography classes..and then digital once they have worked in film first. It is amazing to me, how much others are charging for MF processing, I pay $2.31 per roll for C41 and then .39c a print for 645 or 6x6...6x7, 6x9 and 6x12 costs .49c per print..

Dave

ljb0904
26-Oct-2007, 10:22
Whew! Glad I live in the same city as Dykinga! I'll give up film when he gives it up :-D

Mama don't take my fujichrome away!

Robert Skeoch
26-Oct-2007, 16:57
A couple of really good points have been made above.
I set up my mail order business to fill a niche for large format in Canada. I never planned to have a "usual storefront on the best corner in town."
I'm not the one to do it, but maybe it's time to set up a large format E6 line. Build the entire business around the idea of a mailorder lab... don't buy expensive retail space .... streamline the shipping somehow so people can do it easier.
It would give those photographers who don't live in a major centre a place to get their film processed. Those that live in large centres could continue to use the labs in their cities.
Just expanding on those ideas that others have contributed.
-Rob Skeoch
www.bigcameraworkshops.com

LargeFormatShooter
28-Oct-2007, 03:50
My statements doesn't make my days. What I accomplish makes may day. Only egocentrics likes what they say. I just stated a fact that can be confirmed. If anybody interested he can check themsevles. Like looking at your last 150 posts.

Mr SAShruby. Why do you think people on forum should care about ywht ou think about his posts. Some postings is very good. Other not so helpful to me but they can be to othee persons. It cannot be only postings that get you all angry. How old you are?

Mr. Moderator: I do not understand why let postings like this go on. One member whine like 2 year old about another member. This is sure way to lose good membership.

Mr. Dave Snow. You are very lucky to be close to ab that will process MF film in one hour. None of the ones here do MF except in 2 or 3 days.

bob carnie
28-Oct-2007, 06:31
At our lab we have a Fuji C41roller transport system that does 120 film , no problem at all. This machine is more for the develop and proof wedding headshot crowd.
I think the more retail outlets may shy away from 120 as you need a daylight holding box to load the 120 onto the transport reels, the staff here hate doing this as there is possiblity of damage and nobody wants an ass kicking for scratching film.
35mm is loaded in daylight and just needs to pull the leader out of the cannister with a neat little device and then onto the machine. Therefore everyone wants to do the 35mm shift and leave the 120 film to others.

Thanks Don,

That surprises me, I guess I have been blessed as our local lab is set up to do this kind of work, but, of course, I guess we are behind the times here, the lab I worked at and now does my work for me still processes over 100 rolls of MF film a week, I guess we are high up in the percentages of who still shoots 120 around here. Might be because our Local High School and Community College still teaches film photography classes..and then digital once they have worked in film first. It is amazing to me, how much others are charging for MF processing, I pay $2.31 per roll for C41 and then .39c a print for 645 or 6x6...6x7, 6x9 and 6x12 costs .49c per print..

Dave

JPlomley
28-Oct-2007, 07:58
I'm not the one to do it, but maybe it's time to set up a large format E6 line. Build the entire business around the idea of a mailorder lab... don't buy expensive retail space .... streamline the shipping somehow so people can do it easier.

Funny you should mention that Rob. My wife and I were discussing this exact idea. Should Dafoe close it's doors, all the hardware/chemistry will be available for sale. We would simply couple this with our Fine Art printing service.

evan clarke
28-Oct-2007, 09:18
E6 film will be around for much more than 5 years. There are still a reasonable number of larger and even smaller cities with labs processing (though with less frequency) transparencies. My local Pro Lab (VIP) is in Bethlehem, PA with a population of about 71,300. The town that I live in has a population of only 2400 and the lab is close enough to drop off film for processing and they do an excellent job.

Rich

I'm in Milwaukee (metro area 1 1/2 million), one lab does E6 sheet film and not every day now. Color film coating is more complex than B&W and all film coating requires big volume on big capacity machinery, maybe only 2 or 3 coating lines in the world for color transparency film. E6 will be gone long before B&W. Try to buy a full case of 4x5 transparency film from the same lot in the US..EC

rjphil
1-Nov-2007, 10:41
greg, i think the key would be letting the photo world know that you exist, which would mean a lot of advertising and spending time on the internet.

I think it's a great idea.

That's the hard part - getting the word out that we exist (as photographers and lab rats). :) I started out as a custom commercial lab, but have migrated to fine art printing with the advent of D*****l. Still have a few die-hard film geeks (including myself) in the stable. I've been running E6 daily, up to 8x10, for 28 years. It's hard to know where to put your ad $$$, the market is so targeted. With more labs closing down, operations like those described in this forum (the custom, hands-on labs) will hopefully fall into the niche that fine art shooters are looking for.

r.j.phil
www.customphotolabct.com

SAShruby
1-Nov-2007, 11:19
Mr SAShruby. Why do you think people on forum should care about ywht ou think about his posts. Some postings is very good. Other not so helpful to me but they can be to othee persons. It cannot be only postings that get you all angry. How old you are?

Mr. Moderator: I do not understand why let postings like this go on. One member whine like 2 year old about another member. This is sure way to lose good membership.

Mr. Dave Snow. You are very lucky to be close to ab that will process MF film in one hour. None of the ones here do MF except in 2 or 3 days.

Well, for a start, before you say something you don't even understand, you should probably do a big picture of what is going on. If you don't analyze what I said, then you're two years old, not me.

Based on how many posts you posted here, I would say you know nothing about what is going on. Secondly, there are some issues you don't see in Budapest. You need to live in Vancouver. But you're welcomed to make your pointless comments.:rolleyes:

C. D. Keth
3-Nov-2007, 23:33
Guys, 160 years ago photography killed painting yet I can go to a store in most towns and get artists' paint. ;)

Sylvester Graham
5-Nov-2007, 07:33
Hopefully they are working equally hard on lenses that match the capability of the sensor. Canon's wide angles leave a lot to be desired. Hopefully Zeiss will start manufacturing lenses for the EOS mount. Until then, I'm sticking with 4x5.

I use Zeiss ZF lenses on my Canon DSLR's with an adapter. Phenomenal results. There's no auto anything but I'm not shooting racecars... the new zeiss SLR line doesn't have any automatic features anyways so whatever.

I actually did quite a bit of research before purchasing these lenses since they are somewhat of an investment, including emailing someone from Zeiss USA. It is my understanding Zeiss lenses will never be manufactured in EOS mount due to copyright complications.

roteague
5-Nov-2007, 11:12
Guys, 160 years ago photography killed painting yet I can go to a store in most towns and get artists' paint. ;)

Sorry, but the analogy doesn't work in this case. Film and traditional papers require major manufacturing infastructure to product; painting doesn't.

jetcode
6-Nov-2007, 05:54
I live in a larger major metro area, we have two labs left that process 120 in-house. None that "WILL" do anything larger. I don't necessarily think it is a matter of "ability" of these other places to process it. It is IMO a lack of "willingness" or proper training to do so, of that 18-year-old/minimum-wage/never-seen-nothing-like-that associate behind the glass counter.

at small labs 35mm and 120 is machine processed, sheet film is not.

steve simmons
6-Nov-2007, 05:58
painting doesn't.

paint does

steve simmons

Marko
6-Nov-2007, 08:14
I use Zeiss ZF lenses on my Canon DSLR's with an adapter. Phenomenal results. There's no auto anything but I'm not shooting racecars... the new zeiss SLR line doesn't have any automatic features anyways so whatever.

I actually did quite a bit of research before purchasing these lenses since they are somewhat of an investment, including emailing someone from Zeiss USA. It is my understanding Zeiss lenses will never be manufactured in EOS mount due to copyright complications.

The complication must be due to something else, because AFAIK the copyright applies primarily to the electronic interface which controls the aperture and transfers data between the lens and camera, not the bayonet mount itself. Since these lenses are all manual anyway, they need no electronics. Manual xxx-to-EOS adapters are relatively easy (and cheap) to find - if the physical mount itself were the problem, I'm sure Canon would go after their sources, just like Epson is doing these days with ink cartridges.

As a side note, EOS mount has one of the shortest Flange To Focal Plane Distances, which makes it possible to adopt most other lenses to EOS. One of those that cannot be adopted is Canon FD, which has a shorter FTFPD. Canon obviously wanted to force the FD users to buy all new glass rather then adopt their old lenses, so they made sure that were not possible.