PDA

View Full Version : Bought a 4x5, time to get started in the LF pond

Nicole BM
20-Oct-2007, 03:53
It's been a long time coming, but I'm finally the owner of a 4x5!! :)
Bought a Graphic View M.P.P. 25cm (10") Graphlex Tele-Optar f/5.6 lens.
Time to play!! (Any tips on how to use this beast... please send them my way) :)
I'll keep you posted how this relationship evolves.
Best wishes,
Nicole

Robert A. Zeichner
20-Oct-2007, 05:13
I think you will discover that the 10" Tele-Optar does not have a tremendous amount of coverage. You will certainly be able to make 4x5 negatives/chromes with this lens, but you may have to restrict any movements you use to the rear of the camera to avoid vignetting. This lens was more designed for press style cameras that have limited bellows draw. Nevertheless, you will certainly be able to make pictures and experience the wonders of big negatives with this outfit. Best of luck to you.

John Powers
20-Oct-2007, 05:20
You spent enough time recovering Nicole. Glad to read that you can now play. Come on in. Plenty of room in the pond.

John & Dolly Powers

Shen45
20-Oct-2007, 05:51
It's been a long time coming, but I'm finally the owner of a 4x5!! :)
Bought a Graphic View M.P.P. 25cm (10") Graphlex Tele-Optar f/5.6 lens.
Time to play!! (Any tips on how to use this beast... please send them my way) :)
I'll keep you posted how this relationship evolves.
Best wishes,
Nicole

The 10" should prove to be a fun lens to use as it will allow you just a bit of distance between you and you subject. I have a reasonable number of focal lengths but reach for a 10" Raptar I have more often than not. It will be a nice portrait length and being a tele design will allow you a bit more bellows to play with.

all the best Nicole, have lots of fun.

Ralph Barker
20-Oct-2007, 06:00
Congrats on the LF purchase, Nicole. I'm anxious to see how you blend the Graphic View into your work.

Joseph O'Neil
20-Oct-2007, 06:06
Shooting B&W or colour? If shooting B&W, get yourself a decent yellow filter, lighter, and put it on and leave it on. Reason is focusing through a yellow filter will give you a better idea of what a shot will look like in terms of monochrome and overall tonality.

good luck
joe

Sandeha
20-Oct-2007, 07:31
Lots of people have had a successful start using an MPP. It's a slippery slope, you know!

walter23
20-Oct-2007, 17:10
Congratulations. It's a fun world, but don't *ever* get anywhere near an even larger format lest you start sliding down that slippery slope. I was sure I'd stick with 4x5 when I entered, but I just got an 8x10 this month and now my 4x5 seems tiny (which means it seems like less of an encumbrance than it once did, but also means the ground glass just doesn't strike me with awe quite as much as it once did).

SamReeves
20-Oct-2007, 20:56
Congrats! Another member of the large format cult. :p

Michael Wynd
21-Oct-2007, 19:05
Congratulations Nicole. It'll only take a couple of years to find that you want to go bigger. I'm not sure that I could go back to 4x5 now, even though it's lighter. You're going to have lots of fun.
If you ever make it over to Victoria, let me know and I'll let you play with my 8x10.
Mike

matthew blais
21-Oct-2007, 21:50
Good fun ahead Nic...I think you'll like that combo for portraits.
Best of luck...

Scott Rosenberg
21-Oct-2007, 22:07
congrats, nicole. i would love to see some of you portraiture done with a 210 or 360 heliar!! Be sure to check in and keep us appraised of your learnings.

Ben Chase
22-Oct-2007, 01:42
Congratulations and welcome to the world of being able to print REALLY big and also to the world of 128,682 ways to mess up a shot :)

Sometimes I sure miss being able to load up a roll of film and not have to worry about darkslides, properly attached bellows, accidental double exposures, and film holders.

BTW - Excellent portraiture.

Ben C

Nicole BM
22-Oct-2007, 12:04
Oh wow! Hi everyone and thank you all for your words of encouragement. Yellow filter, I've had that mentioned a few times now and will have a play. My wonderful mother-in-law is lovingly sewing me a hood. I'm excited. Will keep you posted. And thank you very much for your compliments.

I will be coming to the Foto3 2008 Conference in Colorado and look forward to meeting some of you there.

Best wishes,
Nicole

Matt Magruder
22-Oct-2007, 12:52
Nicole. Im so excited for you. I know what a long trip its been. Glad to hear you finally got one.

Amund BLix Aaeng
22-Oct-2007, 13:13
It`s about time Nicole! :) I`m sure you`ll want a wider lens though, a 135-150mm-ish lens will be more suitable to the work you do IMO...