PDA

View Full Version : Razzle 900

Ash
13-Oct-2007, 16:17
So the Razzle has arrived. Here's my ongoing report, as unbiased as possible albeit highly subjective.

My absolute first impression the other day was Wow! This thing is HUGE!.

I've never experienced a Land camera before so I was shocked by the size of the thing, let alone the weight. So I guess straight away I was a little apprehensive; a big heavy camera on my skinny wrists!

I didn't have long to play around the other day, and I was fairly tired and distracted during the test shot (on the Getting Excited thread). Tonight I've been playing around without a film holder present to get a feel for the camera, maybe build up a technique of how to swing this bad boy around.

Looking over the camera it's a bit odd. It's a rangefinder camera, but it's also a 4x5. I'm used to Speed Graphics, folding field cameras, even monorails, so this is a bit of everything it seems!

The black leather and paint is appealing. Clean edges, a few scuffs on the leather and metal but it adds character. I love my hand-me-down cameras, so this has the marks from other's hands.

Face on we have the flash socket adapter, centre (vertical shot) tripod socket, the Razzle/Polaroid logo, open button, cable release mount, side strap/handle, and on the bottom the (horizontal shot) tripod socket.

That bottom socket has a machined metal cylinder to bring the socket clear of the Razzlok back.

So then we have the Razzlok back, metal and wood I believe. Absolutely secure. The back has its spring-tension to hold the GG or film holders in place. Tension can be adjusted.

It's kinda unsightly but totally functional. Every manufacturer has a different idea or patent for a spring back and this one works fine. Well, better than fine - included were two small metal bars than can allow film holders to be placed on.

The shape and bumps, curves, corners... they're growing on me. It's a little different in real life than in a picture, and by my constant handling and fiddling with the camera, I take it as a positive indication I quite like this machine :)

The rangefinder patch isn't as bright as say, a Leica, but maybe I'm spoilt with that tiny 35mm camera viewfinder. The patch is easily visible even indoors on darker objects. The nature of the beast is of course to focus on something with contrast.

Worst to worst, a (blasphemy altert) dot of black pen or paint over the centre of the viewing window can increase the visibility of the RF triangle. In my case this isn't necessary, but it has worked on older rangefinders I've owned with poor RF patches.

The front opens smoothly with a push of the lower button, nicely integrated into the design of the front. I find moving the lens to lock in position a tiny bit of hassle. I quite like the old folding cameras that spring out and do the work for you. I'm a lazy bugger ;)

So with the front standard in position I attach the cable release to the shutter and place my left hand through the side strap/handle as far as I can push it. I hold my thumb on the cable release, fingers curled and clenched onto the inside front cavity.

It's a little awkward unless the hand is perfectly placed. Easier still without the strap but I don't trust myself to hold the camera without it!! I have also tried with my thumb on the back of the camera, and my index finger out from the strap, resting on the cable release. I'm not sure what's more comfy.

I might possibly get some textile to put over the metal on the strap for convenience and comfort.

My right hand lays flat on the now open and locked side/front panel. My thumb or index finger can move the focusing wheel. A little bit of practice, going through the motions, and everything feels good.

That first test shot I'd checked everything with the GG, so this time around I'm trying to get the full Polaroid/RF/Razzle effect.

With my right hand bearing some of the weight, my left wrist feels a bit better. I can use a thumb or finger to rotate the focus wheel.

It's easier to have all the shutter speeds and apertures sorted before composing, then simply press the shutter. I can't see myself wanting to lift the camera, look at the lens and play around when I should be focusing on the subject.

I'm practicing focus then pressing the shutter, then cocking the shutter ready for the next shot....just like wind-on with a small-format (or graphic?).

I've loaded eight 4x5 film holders ready for the weeks ahead, I hope to shoot at least a couple shots tomorrow to test the Razzle out in the field.

The Razzle is something totally new to me, so I'm typing as I'm learning and discovering. I hope this thread and my thoughts will help provide some insight. :)

Dean Jones
13-Oct-2007, 16:54
Thanks Ash...

I too have been struggling with the video for YouTube. I had to make up some lights/stands/backgound supports and other apparatus to make this movie, there was far more to it than I first imagined.
The first take saw me in a bright pink jumpsuit but my canine family took one look and all scarpered.......so this is it, several takes later: :eek:

http://youtube.com/user/Deanoroid

It might help you to see how I throw the cameras around?

Cheers, Dean.

Ben R
13-Oct-2007, 17:27
Interesting video Dean, how long ago did you leave the UK? That's not an english accent anymore!

Dean Jones
13-Oct-2007, 17:49
Interesting video Dean, how long ago did you leave the UK? That's not an english accent anymore!

It was back in 59....I think? Aussies here pick the essence of Pommie accent easily, especially after a beer :D

Ash
14-Oct-2007, 04:44
Thanks for the vids Dean,

I'll be off shooting a few sheets as soon as I wake up fully. It's not yet 1pm so I'm only half-awake :D

David A. Goldfarb
14-Oct-2007, 05:25
Nice ten-string, Dean!

Frank Petronio
14-Oct-2007, 07:21
Dean you rule, your info-merrcials are the best.

Ash
14-Oct-2007, 07:43
I'm back from a trip into the town centre with a (heavy) bag full of Razzle.

The camera is easy to carry in both hands, and my sidebag is more manageable with filmholders and nothing else.

I had my Gossen Polysix around my shoulder and the weather meant my zip-hoody was around my waist. I felt positively over-prepared.

The shooting with the Razzle was just as I'd practiced, and very easy too! Managing some of the weight with the right hand really helped, and of course vertical shots are easy this way too.

I wandered around and all seemed good. I'll develop some of the negs shortly and post them. Lets hope my Gossen and Razzle like each other ;)

Ash
14-Oct-2007, 10:29
Six shots....The negs look good :)

I took about four at 1/60 (could be three, and an extra at 1/30 I'm not sure). One of the two handheld 1/30 shots is a lil blurred, but the other is fine.

I'll post the shots as soon as they are scanned, but as far as using the camera, all is good!

Ben R
14-Oct-2007, 10:37
What lens do you have on that thing Ash? I'm hard pressed to handhold a 1/60 perfectly for a 13 megapixel DSLR nevermind a bleeding 4X5"!

Asher Kelman
14-Oct-2007, 11:05
Excellent story telling, Ash!

Glad you can share all this adventure, this is a vicarious experience for the rest of us!

Do you have the front standard with adjustments? It would be great to report on this and also could you drop it on a scale so we can get an idea of the weight. After all a Canon 1DII with a 70-200 lens is not light either but I carry that for hours, LOL!

Asher

Ash
14-Oct-2007, 12:18
Here we go:

A couple aren't included. My first neg is fogged or improperly developed. Another neg was a duplicate of the tall building shot.

I've not managed to compose fully and rotate to be proper, but these are test shots after all.

I quite like this shot, but my composition is all off. I wanted just the door and the window, but I didn't fancy being run over by standing in the road to get it!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/second-belated/Untitled-1a_sm.jpg

I'd hoped for the lamp-post to be more important in this scene, it kinda merges into all the detail however.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/second-belated/Untitled-6b_sm.jpg

The blurry shot of the interior of an old go-kart track, previously home to Railway works.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/second-belated/Untitled-12a_sm.jpg

The other side, I quite like the checkers. This is my favourite of the shots.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/second-belated/Untitled-9a_sm-1.jpg

Ash
14-Oct-2007, 12:19
Just for fun here are the two stitched together in Canon Photo-merge.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/second-belated/Untitled-912a.jpg

So my next plan is to take more important shots (for the college project) and to get a better grasp of composing in the viewfinder. The neg has a little extra around the edges to what is seen, so in future I'll crop more closely I think.

Ash
14-Oct-2007, 12:29
The lens is a Fujinon 150/5,6 I believe.
EDIT: It weighs a fraction over 2kg.

Ash
14-Oct-2007, 15:07
Here's the second shot with better levels:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/second-belated/Untitled-6a1_sm.jpg

But anyway, hopefully I'll be shooting people with this Razzle soon :)

Ash
14-Oct-2007, 15:17
Here's the show of detail for the top shot - http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/second-belated/crop3.jpg

This was my point of focus at f/16 I think? - http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/second-belated/crop1.jpg

This is the people moving at 1/60 http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/second-belated/crop2.jpg

Considering the scanner is made for 35mm negs, I blame the improper calibration as at 720dpi I can't see the grain properly, so the images should be (and are) sharper than they appear here.

walter23
14-Oct-2007, 15:42
By the way...the diatribe written here becomes more absurd each day:

http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=littmanphotodesign

The man appears to have a psychiatric disorder.

This is just a couple of paragraphs out of like 30,000 words of disjointed insanity:

And in this context the man stands at the pulpit demanding to be the beneficiary of what he isnt entitled to in good faith and makes a refrence to the diagnoses his psychiatrist gave him last night but he knows he will not be able to keep the farce indefinitelly and has come up with the final solution for THE NEW ORDER

EXTERMINATION!

His would be better if I retired.

Projection? hm........... the man Says Im like HITLER and then says I use projection?

His final solution SS is composed of 2 simple and devastating weapons

The first in charge of his followers is to ensure everyone rates us on our old models deliberately depriving us from rightful revenue
And The final FINAL weapon is delivered by the Master who assures the future will be no different to ensure we get no revenue whatsoever!

and this is the simple and effective master plan for the final solution

Ash
14-Oct-2007, 15:56
I read that also. I have no idea what this loon is on about.

Dean Jones
14-Oct-2007, 15:56
And in this context the man stands at the pulpit demanding to be the beneficiary of what he isnt entitled to in good faith and makes a refrence to the diagnoses his psychiatrist gave him last night but he knows he will not be able to keep the farce indefinitelly and has come up with the final solution for THE NEW ORDER

EXTERMINATION!

Alright, I admit it.....Freud was my personal psychiatrist :D

fuegocito
15-Oct-2007, 13:26
By the way...the diatribe written here becomes more absurd each day:

http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=littmanphotodesign

Cheers.

:D Hi Dean,

I can't believe you still have the patient/time to sit through all that muck, that's way too much fun, or pain for any one person...:D

good user report there Ash, keep them coming.

Dean Jones
15-Oct-2007, 13:30
:D Hi Dean,
I can't believe you still have the patient/time to sit through all that muck, that's way too much fun, or pain for any one person...

There's a fine line between pleasure and pain :p

Ash
15-Oct-2007, 13:39
The Razzle worked fine in a studio setting (at college). Unfortunately the flash meter was set wrong so all my shots were underexposed by a fair few stops. What I dragged from the almost-clear negs was a sharp image, so all good in the way of the camera.

I need a remote flash trigger thing though, using a long flash sync cable is a bugger.

Dean Jones
15-Oct-2007, 14:10
Hi Ash.
I have both types, we import them at the store. For firing strobes you can use this one,
Item number is: 170158382511 It has 6.3mm phone jack plugs on the receivers.
For firing a standard hot shoe flash Item number is: 250176089689
I have found that some dedicated DSLR flashes won't trigger as I think the terminals may short out? Most flashes will work OK....any single pin flash is all you need, preferably get one with switchable output.
I use a Sunpak 5000AF inside my Flashball and it works really well, I can go blindingly powerful at full bore or switch it right down to 1/64th for a little fill.
The added test fire button on the transmitter is great...you just know it's gonna fire when you need it!
Don't forget the shutter sync's at all speeds and set it to X :)

Ash
15-Oct-2007, 14:15
Hi Dean. I'm still trying to find the X on the Copal shutter!! I was going to ask whether it sync's at all speeds :)

David A. Goldfarb
15-Oct-2007, 14:22
Any leaf shutter syncs at all speeds, with very few exceptions (i.e., with the most powerful studio lights that might have strobe durations longer than the shortest leaf shutter speeds). Modern Copal shutters are X-sync only.

Ash
15-Oct-2007, 14:24
Thanks David, as I'd hoped :)

Dean Jones
15-Oct-2007, 22:28
It is with much sorrow to learn that I am to be banned from making future postings.....I figure all those who have shared in Ash's excitement will know exactly why :mad:

Cheers to all, Dean Jones.

Gene McCluney
15-Oct-2007, 23:16
Dean, are you sure you are banned entirely, or just banned from making comments on the "other" brand?

Asher Kelman
15-Oct-2007, 23:21
It is with much sorrow to learn that I am to be banned from making future postings.....I figure all those who have shared in Ash's excitement will know exactly why :mad:

Cheers to all, Dean Jones.

[QUOTE=Asher Kelman;282831]Well Dean,

We all should be scrupulously careful to avoid refering to matters that have negative energy. It just sucks the positive from creative work!! So there! I'm sure you will be able to work something out if you can steer better!

To RF possiblities: I wonder whether one could fix my Cooke PS 945 on some great rangefinder with a customized perfect focus cam but have my lens removable!

For now I'm getting a Shen-Hao. Still, it would be great to have a magic rangefinder to match the quality of the lens.

You know where to find me!

Ciao!

David A. Goldfarb
16-Oct-2007, 05:52
To RF possiblities: I wonder whether one could fix my Cooke PS 945 on some great rangefinder with a customized perfect focus cam but have my lens removable!

The ideal focus position with a soft focus lens is a subjective matter and can vary with aperture, subject distance, the quality of the light, and the photographer's aesthetic sense. You really need to see the groundglass to know what it's doing. Of course one could design a rangefinder cam for a soft focus lens that would focus at a fixed position for any given subject distance, but the focus would be arbitrary in some sense. That's why Linhof doesn't cam Imagons.

Somewhere around here there's a good thread on focusing soft focus lenses. Someone found an article from the age of soft focus lenses where several photographers were invited to focus the same scene with the same lens and mark the focus position on the camera bed, and there was over an inch of spread between the nearest and farthest subjective focus position.

Ash
16-Oct-2007, 09:05
Some quick shots from today in the studio. Nothing special, just to check setup. F/11 at 1/60 I think?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/second-belated/ash001a_sm.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/second-belated/ash003a_sm.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/second-belated/ash004a_sm.jpg

Asher Kelman
16-Oct-2007, 10:33
Hi Ash,

I really like the images especially of # 3 which has a great dimesionality and presence. This is hand held?

Great job. I'm impressed and happy for you that the long wait paid off!

Now how much does it weigh loaded for shot?

Asher

Ash
16-Oct-2007, 10:35
Yep, handheld :)

Still 2kg total weight. Fine in both hands ;)

bartf
16-Oct-2007, 17:17
A trick I picked up from using my Super Graphic is to rest the camera on a shoulder when shooting.

I've been able to hold it steady for 1/4 second or so, but I don't mind a little motion blur.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bartf/871331033/in/set-72157600951066186/
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1396/871331033_c9f530ab48_o.jpg

Asher Kelman
16-Oct-2007, 21:38
A trick I picked up from using my Super Graphic is to rest the camera on a shoulder when shooting.

Sounds like you have a very cooperative wife!! LOL

I do like the street picture! The lights are rendered nicely OOF as blobs and not glare.

Asher

Ash
17-Oct-2007, 02:12
I saw a pic, I think it was on Dean's site, of Chris resting the Razzle on his shoulder. I guess it's something to consider for slower speeds. I got away with 1/30 handheld, elbows tight to the body in daylight.

mcdoogla
24-Oct-2007, 07:35
Using my conversion, I found that the right side could rest on my shoulder (which is moved a bit forward because of where I'm holding my hand on the door and focus knob). It's pretty sturdy and I do think there's something to the idea that larger cameras are easier to hand-hold at slower speeds. just my sense.

Shooting vertically, I found that my left hand would act as a platform for the door, with my elbow braced against my stomach. Also feels very sturdy.

While large, the cameras don't feel as heavy as it would if Leica carved them out of a solid bar of steel.

Enjoy the camera Ash, the test shots look really nice! Let us know about your experience with the movements if you got that version!

doug