PDA

View Full Version : Agfascan T5000 Plus scanner

joolsb
2-Oct-2007, 04:40
I have a chance to acquire a refurbished Agfa T5000 Plus scanner at a seriously low price but would like to know how it stacks up against the competition and what the max resolution for 5x4 would be. The same seller is also offering the superior XY-15 at a great price but one of these beasts (although highly desireable) would not really work in a domestic setting.

Can anybody (Ted?) give me the low-down on the T5000+? I'm currently using an Epson V700 and I'm not very impressed with the results I'm getting.

Ted Harris
2-Oct-2007, 06:16
The T5000 will be a step up from the V700 but not as dramatic a step up as you may think. Remember that it was one of the best of the 'mid range' scanners in its day, not a high end scanner. More importantly, there is absolutely no support left for the scanner anywhere, it requires a SCSI connection (not necessarily a big deal) and is not that small itself. If it were me, I'd look real hard and do some serious measurement to see if I could squeeze in the XY-15 and not worry about the T5000+.

I am sending you via email (too large to post here) the Seybold article that compares both scanners and 12 others.

Ted Harris
2-Oct-2007, 06:18
Whoops, forgot. Can't send an attachment using the system here. Please send your email to mine (tedharris@mac.com) and I will forward the article.

sethf22
2-Oct-2007, 08:48
The article can be found online at http://www.kar.fi/Skannaus/pixelperfect2_seybold_2000_vol30_nro1.pdf

Seth

joolsb
2-Oct-2007, 09:38
Thanks everyone! The article is interesting and informative and a good overview of what's out there (or, at least, what was out there in 2000.)

The XY-15 is very tempting but I live in a first-floor apartment and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be able to be squeezed into the elevator.... even if I could spare the space. And then I have to consider that it weighs more than twice as much as I do!

Maybe I'll take another look at the possibility of stitched scanning with the Imacon 343....

Gordon Moat
2-Oct-2007, 09:56
The AGFA XY-15 is very similar to the Fuji FineScan 2750. Unfortunately, the AGFA will not run the Fuji software, so you will need the older AGFA software. To run that AGFA software will require a dedicated Mac OS 9 system. I think you can still download the last software from AGFA, but I am not certain on this.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio

Ole Tjugen
2-Oct-2007, 10:22
I'm using an even older AGFA Duoscan T1200. I'm not using AGFA software, VueScan runs it just fine. I don't even have the AGFA drivers installed...