PDA

View Full Version : SCSI Scanner on a Powerbook G3

Scott Rosenberg
25-Sep-2007, 13:24
Knowing nothing about Macs, I have a question for you guys that run these computers… do you think that the SCSI card in the old Powerbook G3 ‘Lombard’ laptops - the last laptop with a SCSI interface - will be able to drive an older SCSI scanner? I’ve been told that SCSI scanners are pretty particular about the SCSI card that drives them, so, have any of you tried to run a SCSI scanner with a Lombard Powerbook?

thanks for any thoughts,

Gordon Moat
26-Sep-2007, 11:17
Slightly older PowerBook WallStreet with SCSI that is still running some things. The biggest issues I had were termination, order of devices, and SCSI ID on each machine. However, when I wanted to just run one device, then there were no issues other than having proper termination. As long as you can get software for the scanner to run in OS 9.2.2 or slightly earlier, you should be fine.

Contrast this to my more modern PowerBook G4 running a few SCSI devices through a Ratoc FireWire adapter. Definitely tougher to get up and running, and not without some issues. So with this one, the two scanners and one external MO drive I want to run are only operated separately one at a time. Set-up was tough, though all of the devices I want to run now operate smoothly.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio