PDA

View Full Version : Help eSATA Drives

Kirk Gittings
20-Sep-2007, 15:10
I've run out of room on my two eSata drives and their matching usb backup drives and just bought two additional 500GB Seagate Sata drives to run as eSata drives in Antec enclosures.

They are powered up. The problen is my PC cannot see them in Windows Explorer (it sees the other two older ones and the backups fine). The sata drives have identical dual outlet eSAta cards that came with the original Seagates.

I can see the two new drives in the device manager, but not in Windows explorer or in the bios.

I assume I need to format these drives, but I can't see them in a place where I can format them including through XP Setup disk going to the bios. I can't see them there either.

Any ideas? All the help info through Seagate, Antec and Windows suggest going at formating through XP setup disk/bios, but this is not working!

Darren Kruger
20-Sep-2007, 15:14
Any ideas? All the help info through Seagate, Antec and Windows suggest going at formating through XP setup disk/bios, but this is not working!

Do the new drives show up in the computer management program under disk management? They might need to be partitioned along with being formatted.

-Darren

Kirk Gittings
20-Sep-2007, 15:14
No they do not show up there either.

Kirk Gittings
20-Sep-2007, 16:25
I solved it. I moved them over to my MacBook Pro and formated and partitioned them and then moved them back. They work fine

Keith S. Walklet
20-Sep-2007, 21:11
I was going to say..., the Free Agent version of the Seagate eSata drives is incompatible with Macs. They apparently work just fine wih PCs, but I'm all Apple and had to send mine back and get another set of the earlier Seagate eSata drives, (non-Free Agent), which work just fine. Plus, the earlier set came with all the cables and a controller card to boot!

Kirk Gittings
20-Sep-2007, 21:25
So far so good. I just moved a bunch of files and backed them up. No problemo.

These are the Seagate Barracuda SATA 2 500GB drives.

jetcode
21-Sep-2007, 08:27
So far so good. I just moved a bunch of files and backed them up. No problemo.

These are the Seagate Barracuda SATA 2 500GB drives.

isn't it a pleasure to have such capacities without having to take out a second on the house? trouble is they fill up faster then ever