PDA

View Full Version : Comments and opinions please, Pentax Flash Meter V

Robert J Pellegrino
22-Jul-2000, 22:35
Im planning on purchasing a new incident light meter, I think that Ive settled on the Pentax Flash Meter V. The attributes that I seek in a meter are as foll ows:

1) Accurate and repeatable measurements. 2) The ability to choose an aperture priority mode. 3) Simple operation. 4) Reliability.

Ive looked at the specifications of numerous meters, and it seems that my apert ure priority requirement really narrows the field. I'd like some feedback on th e Flash Meter V, from current users. How do you feel about this meter, how does it compare to other makes. Thanks.

Bob P.

Scott Walton
22-Jul-2000, 23:38
Robert, First off, if you are talking about the 10 Spot meter, it isn't a flash meter. I t is an ambient light only. I have that meter and love it. I had the analog one but upgraded to the Digital several years ago. It is very accurate and easy to use. It goes down to 4 minutes and up to 1/4000th. The f stops range from f1 to f128 and the ASA goes from 6 to 6400! If this isn't the meter that you are talking about, sorry. Cheers, Scott

fred_1006
23-Jul-2000, 08:06
Bob, Did you really mean the Minolta flash meter V? If so then I don't think you can go wrong with it. They are great meters. I'm not much for keeping up with new equipment so I was puzzled by your reference to a Pentax flash meter V. Never heard of such an animal.

Robert J Pellegrino
23-Jul-2000, 09:35
What was I thinking??? This should read. "MINOLTA FLASH METER V." Sorry for the confusion. Thanks.

Bob P.

PS Can an exsisting post be edited, by the originator, to correct errors like this?

Ellis Vener
23-Jul-2000, 21:44
I use and rely on the older Minolta Flash meter IV and think it is great! The Fl ash V is a streamlined version of the Flash IV. I think you'll be very happy: it is very easy to read and very reliable

Larry Huppert
24-Jul-2000, 01:34
Excellent meter. Particularly good at flash:ambient ratio metering and strobe multipoping. You can also hit a button and take readings with a delta stop difference to the first reading. This is great for determining the contrast range in a scene (works good when shooting interiors).

I do wish this meter had incorporated a straight forward way of inputing filter factor corrections. Overall, this is a meter you can depend on.

Bruce Barelly
16-Apr-2001, 16:22
Hi guys !

Well, I think Flash Meters III, IV and V are all great tools from Minolta, one of the best brand for Flashmeters, right ?

I'm looking forward in buying a flash meter IV by also adding the small removable spot metering 5? device. Is it accurate enough to have spot measurements ? What about the parallax problem ?

Thanx for giving your opinion.

Regards,

Bruce

Ellis Vener
17-Apr-2001, 21:08
I own the five degree attachment but haven't used it in about eight years. No problems with the accuracy or aim , it just wasn't selective enough for me. The Flash IV is a great meter that got a bad rap for being too complex, hence the simplified ergonomics of the Flash V. I bought my Flash IV 10 years ago from a friend who wanted to do "studio-in-the-field portrait work with an 8x10 but quickly got overwhelmed; I love it and use it virtually every day, it is very rugged. Both the Minolta Flash Meter IV and V are professional caliber instruments. I started with the Flash III meter when I was assisting but prefer the utility of the Flash IV and Flash V. Or for that matter the lower priced IVF meter. The other advantage of the Flash IV,V, and IVF meters is that they use "AA" batteries and not a stack of MS-76 batteries.

If you really are looking for a spot meter and an incident meter combined in one unit look at the Sekonic 508, that too is a fine meter.

Geoffrey_1456
17-Apr-2001, 21:41
Bob,

Sekonic 508 is a fine meter, and very convenient. I've been using it since it just came out. Here's a few things I'd like to see improvements in their new 608 model: more consistent reading in low light and in flash mode, and better sealing of its battery chamber against moisture. I haven't used a 608 meter yet, so I don't know its performance. You might also want to look at Gossen's new meter "Starlight", which is similar in functionality and is in the same price range as 508. Here's a link:

http://www.aaacamera.com/gossen_starlight.html

No matter which meter you use, you need to do some tests to make sure the meter is working in the way you want and consistent with your metering habits. Cheers

Phil Rose
12-Nov-2001, 18:15
What about the Minolta Flash Meter II? There's one for sale and it is far more in my price range. Should I buy it? I can't seem to find any info on that old beast. Thanks Phil