PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with exposed sheet film

Dick Silven
21-Oct-1997, 15:07
Has anyone found a better solution to the problem of traveling with exposed B&W 4x5 negs which are to have different development (N-,N,N+,N++,etc) than to bring along an empty film box for each different development? The bother is complica ted further when one is using several different films on the trip.

Corey Allen
26-Oct-1997, 22:34
I primarily shoot color film and ussually do not run into this problem, but I do know someone who has a different system to you. He has traveled through europe with both 4X5 and 8X10 and what he does is upon exposing his film he fills out a data sheet. All the important info then in a dark bathroom or whatever he tak es his film out of holder and puts it into a box, he then puts the data sheet on top of the film and lays his next sheet of film on top of that and so on and so on. This system seems logical to me. good luck

Will Varnell
14-Dec-1997, 20:50
Dick,

I use a variation of the method suggested to me by Bruce Barnbaum while at one o f his Granite Falls Workshops. I use an empty film box and place all N- at the b ottom, followed by a paper spacer (the cardboard from the packets of original un exposed film), then N, N+ , and N++, each separated by a spacer. When I get back to the darkroom, it is an easy matter to separate the film into the proper stac k for developing. This does require a changing bag in the field or at least a ve ry dark closet. I also notch each paper with one, two, or no corners missing to identify the film by touch alone. After exposing the film, I mark my development on each holder with a pencil so I can keep each straight when placing into the box. The box is in an inside coat pocket when I travel through airports, so the exposed film doesn't have to be x-rayed and I don't have to argue with security.

If you use more than one type of film, then you will need more spacers and good notes.

Bruce doesn't use spacers but takes careful notes.

from Will Varnell (varnell@alabama.com)

Scott F. Feighner
28-Dec-1997, 02:12
I use a variation of the Bruce Barnbaum "put them in a box" method. Instead of putting the negatives in a single sheet-film box divided by spacers, I carry wit h me FOUR film boxes. Marked N, N+1, N+2, and N-1. After each exposure, I writ e the technical info, including development requirements, on masking tape I've p laced on each film holder. Then, when I have a moment, I transfer each sheet, us ing a changing bag or a dark-room, into the correct box. This way I don't have to worry about incorrect development times because I mis-filed an exposed sheet of film. Granted, it is a little cumbersome carrying around the additional boxe s, BUT,....think of the alternative

Atul Sharma
5-Jan-1998, 16:29
How would you guys manage 4x5 colour transparency film , considering one bracket s, in similar situations aside from using Quickload.

Peter Kowalchuk
6-Jun-1998, 10:58
I like the box with the dividers, but have also used a different technique that might be good if you don't want to take the chanc of mis-filing. Go get two siz es of manila envelopes -- one just a bit larger than your file size, the other a bit larger than the first. Then wrap them entirely with gaffers tape or duct t ape. Your negs go into the smaller envelop which then goes into the larger one with the opening end in first. I don't know about the long term effects of this on film, but I use this as only short term storage and have never experienced p roblems. I use tabs -- again made from duct tape -- to identify the different p rocessing modes.

This doesn't take a lot of room when traveling and allows you to hold a lot of e xposed film. I also use poly sleeves for each sheet of film to prevent scuffing . I've been able to store much more than 100 sheets in the different envelopes w ithout a worry about misfiling.

Peter

AtlantaTerry
16-Sep-2013, 06:44
I like the box with the dividers, but have also used a different technique that might be good if you don't want to take the chanc of mis-filing. Go get two siz es of manila envelopes -- one just a bit larger than your file size, the other a bit larger than the first. Then wrap them entirely with gaffers tape or duct t ape. Your negs go into the smaller envelop which then goes into the larger one with the opening end in first. I don't know about the long term effects of this on film, but I use this as only short term storage and have never experienced p roblems. I use tabs -- again made from duct tape -- to identify the different p rocessing modes.

This doesn't take a lot of room when traveling and allows you to hold a lot of e xposed film. I also use poly sleeves for each sheet of film to prevent scuffing . I've been able to store much more than 100 sheets in the different envelopes w ithout a worry about misfiling.

Peter

Peter, surely you don't put unprocessed film into a Manila envelope wrapped with tape?

vinny
16-Sep-2013, 08:41
How would you guys manage 4x5 colour transparency film , considering one bracket s, in similar situations aside from using Quickload.
bracketing is for sissies.
I rarely bracket a shot but if I do I put the alternate exposure in one of the cardboard sleeves before sticking it in the box with N sheets. Usually I just process all the sheets together regardless of exposure as 95% of my shots are spot on.