PDA

View Full Version : MAGNAchrom v1.6 now available

MJSfoto1956
15-Sep-2007, 14:23
Wow. The 6th and final issue of Volume 1 is finally "in the can" and is available to download for free from our website www.magnachrom.com. Time for me to take a day off (or two) and then start the next volume (yes, it is now one year).

This issue's focus in hybrid photography -- anything that exhibits "out of the box" thinking in regards to producing photographic artwork.

http://www.magnachrom.com/issue_images/MAGNAchrom.v.1.6.1.jpg

Featured in this issue:

SHOT MODS: In The Pink
4-SQUARE: Edoardo Pasero
MEDIA: Tri-Transparency Prints
VISION Pinhole + Alternate Process
BEYOND LF: Room-size pinhole photography
TRAVELS: Enviro-Industrio Panoramas
CENTERFOLD: Klaus Esser
EQUIPMENT: Going Ultra: with a 14x17 Lotus View
TECHNIQUE: DIY inkjet print onto aluminum
INTERVIEW: Denise Ross
PORTFOLIO: Roger Aguirre Smith
NEW STUFF: Mamiya ZD
VIEWPOINT: Gum Printing, Then & Now
ADVICE: Hybrid Technique

NOTE: the next issue is the one year anniversay issue and we still have some "room" for a few additional supporting articles -- please feel free to pmail me at editor "at" magnachrom "dot" com and I'll try to fit your work in.

Some sample spreads from this issue:

http://www.magnachrom.com/images/MAGNAchrom.v.1.6.1.spread3.jpg

http://www.magnachrom.com/images/MAGNAchrom.v.1.6.1.spread4.jpg

http://www.magnachrom.com/images/MAGNAchrom.v.1.6.1.spread5.jpg

Be sure to let us know what you think of this (or any) issue -- we value your insight and contributions. MAGNAchrom is a labor of love.

CantikFotos
15-Sep-2007, 14:45
Great! Thanks!

Ash
15-Sep-2007, 14:55
Glad to see some RazzleDog exposure :D

I enjoyed flicking through the issue, great work as ever :)

BrianShaw
15-Sep-2007, 14:57
The cover photo... ummmm, what was it?

MJSfoto1956
15-Sep-2007, 16:35
The cover photo... ummmm, what was it?

Cover Photo: Squish ©2007 Christina Anderson

Dead Squirrel it appears -- dinner anyone? ;)

big_ben_blue
16-Sep-2007, 10:39
Dead Squirrel it appears -- dinner anyone? ;)

Sure, why not - my old Foxfire cookbook copy has some nice squirrel stew receices:eek:. Quote: "You just boil your squirrel like you would a chicken."

David A. Goldfarb
16-Sep-2007, 11:13
Well, as long as you don't depend on newsstand sales, I guess you can take a different approach to marketing with the cover photo than, say _American Photo_.

MJSfoto1956
16-Sep-2007, 11:39
Well, as long as you don't depend on newsstand sales, I guess you can take a different approach to marketing with the cover photo than, say _American Photo_.

I don't know -- I kinda think it is beatiful. Anyone else think so too?

CantikFotos
16-Sep-2007, 11:42
I like it alot. It's a hell of alot better than a shot of Britney Spears! :D

BrianShaw
16-Sep-2007, 11:47

I like it for it's visual appeal (note: I originally used the word "graphic" but replaced it with "visual" to avoid the connotation of "gross" or "discusting")... but I really thought it might turn out to be something a bit more exotic than Rocket J. Squirrel. :)

Jiri Vasina
16-Sep-2007, 12:01
Michael, I think it is a fantastic photo. Has several layers of meaning in it, and I had to stare at it for a while to figure it out. And that is what photography is about... to let also the viewer to use some of the brain cells too. (Unless you ran over the squirrel intentionally, which I doubt ;) ).

Gordon Moat
16-Sep-2007, 12:38
Well . . . not so thrilled about the cover. Sure, it is different than having some tart on there, but maybe next time you could have a tart in a hot car running over the squirrel.
:D :cool:

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio (http://www.allgstudio.com)

Bruce Watson
16-Sep-2007, 12:39

Striking maybe. Interesting even. But it's not beautiful. It's yet more of the American obsession with death and decay. I used to think that one day we'd grow out of it, but it never lets up.

It's to the point now where people even think it's beautiful, which is twisted. Most definitions of beauty point in the direction of a person or thing which gives pleasure to the senses and pleasurably exalts the mind or spirit.

If you are taking pleasure in the death of animals, if squashed dead squirrels pleasurably exalts your mind and/or spirit, you've got bigger issues than the definition of beauty.

tim atherton
16-Sep-2007, 12:56
It's yet more of the American obsession with death and decay. I used to think that one day we'd grow out of it, but it never lets up.

Actually, from my perspctive, the opposite seems true.

People would do almost anything to avoid thinking about the reality of death and decay. They'd rather it didn't exist at all. An attidued that has been growing rather than declining.

Yet I don't think you can get any more "real" then such issues

MJSfoto1956
16-Sep-2007, 13:00
If you are taking pleasure in the death of animals, if squashed dead squirrels pleasurably exalts your mind and/or spirit, you've got bigger issues than the definition of beauty.

Wow!! That sure is a stretch! Of course I'm not taking pleasure at the death of an animal. But in a way, death is (yes it is) beautiful. To avoid the topic of death (in conversation, in photos, etc) is itself a hangup. Does this mean that we as photographers are supposed to "avoid" death at all costs less we be castigated with subtle innuendo such as this? Does your concept of beauty trump all others? Who gets to call the shots -- some cabal of exalted photo gurus who have the last say in the matter? I think Christina has stuck her neck out to "think outside of the box" -- and I for one want to congratulate her on it.

Sorry Bruce, but as an artist I think you are completely off base here. And frankly, you have hurt my feelings with the your not-so-subtle implication.

Kirk Gittings
16-Sep-2007, 13:19
It's yet more of the American obsession with death and decay. I used to think that one day we'd grow out of it, but it never lets up.

Whoa, look at the art of any country with a Catholic history (christ on the cross......) or any of the high native cultures of Central and South America? This is very common worldwide.

David A. Goldfarb
16-Sep-2007, 13:23

I never said I didn't like the photo--just that it isn't the sort of thing that usually sells magazines, and that one of the attractions of _MAGNAchrom_ is that it doesn't have to sell itself in the customary way.

JW Dewdney
16-Sep-2007, 13:28

I'm very surprised at this comment - coming from someone who purports to have enough visual and intellectual sophistication to be a photographer. You seem to deeply confuse representation with meaning- to such an extent that you assume that the display of a deceased creature is representative of the photographer's support of 'killing of innocents' and furthermore - the editors support of your projected idea. I'm sure you're a great guy in a lot of ways... but you might profit greatly from seeing things in a more open-minded way.

Bruce Watson
17-Sep-2007, 06:47
Wow!! That sure is a stretch! Of course I'm not taking pleasure at the death of an animal. But in a way, death is (yes it is) beautiful.

Use a dictionary. Look up the definition of "beauty." Use the word correctly. That's all I'm saying.

tim atherton
17-Sep-2007, 07:04
Use a dictionary. Look up the definition of "beauty." Use the word correctly. That's all I'm saying.

Apart from the fact that dictionaries provide the most limited, minimal rather than comprehensive descriptions (at least turn to dictionary of art for example)

Lets see:

"A combination of qualities that delight the senses"

"the quality or aggregate of qualities in a person or thing that gives pleasure to the senses"

"a particularly graceful, ornamental, or excellent quality"

not too hard to argue that the picture in question can fit any or all of these fairly easily and obviously has done so at some level for a number of posters on this thread - ergo it is beautiful in terms of the dictionary definition

Mattg
17-Sep-2007, 07:46
That's the best issue yet; inspiring and informative. Keep it up J Michael, I look forward to each new issue.

I don't think the cover is beautiful but it is arresting and thought provoking.

Rick Moore
17-Sep-2007, 08:08
Another outstanding issue, Michael.

I think Christina's cover is beautiful. One of photography's better aspects is the ability of some photographers to show us things from a different perspective, to find beauty or meaning or whatever in scenes where most people would not see it.

I have followed Christina's work for years on the Alt-Photo-Process list. She is not only a fine photographer and a superb gum printer, but also a very helpful and thoughtful contributor.

roteague
17-Sep-2007, 11:24
Great issue Michael. I don't care for the digital parts much, but I do like the way the magazine flows; I find that I sometimes read it two and three times. Keep up the great work.

Henry Ambrose
17-Sep-2007, 16:49
I like your magazine a lot.

I don't like that when you send me the notice I have to use a password. Seems that when sending to your list of subscribers you would send a link that bypasses the password. (its not like you're sending the code to launch nukes or something) Maybe its tougher doing than saying but it would improve your service.

Thanks for the free magazine!

davidb
17-Sep-2007, 17:01
Another great magazine.

Brian Vuillemenot
17-Sep-2007, 17:13
Another fantastic issue, Michael- keep up the great work. Now that the first volume is complete, will the printed bound version be available for purchase?

MJSfoto1956
17-Sep-2007, 18:33

I don't like that when you send me the notice I have to use a password. Seems that when sending to your list of subscribers you would send a link that bypasses the password. (its not like you're sending the code to launch nukes or something) Maybe its tougher doing than saying but it would improve your service.

Actually, assuming you allow cookies, you only need to type your password once. If for some reason cookies are blocked, then we can't help you -- we need the cookie to validate that you successfully logged in at least once in the past. (note that this feature has been tested on both Macs and PC with IE, Safari, and Firefox)

However, we *CAN* easily change your password to something trivial. How about something like "forgetmenot"? ;)

Thanx for the kudos.

Henry Ambrose
17-Sep-2007, 19:14
hmmmm....

I may have trashed the cookies which is something I do from time to time. I have too many passwords to keep up with manually. So what cookie do you set? Maybe I'll remember to keep it around.

MJSfoto1956
18-Sep-2007, 04:59
hmmmm....

I may have trashed the cookies which is something I do from time to time. I have too many passwords to keep up with manually. So what cookie do you set? Maybe I'll remember to keep it around.

The cookie names should be something like:

magnachrom.com/Email
magnachrom.com/Session

Jiri Vasina
18-Sep-2007, 10:34

As Michael answered in the above, it works very well for me. I may have already forgotten my password :eek: , but I needed it only once :rolleyes: