PDA

View Full Version : Reading Minolta Color Meter IIIF

Giovanni Peretti
10-Sep-2007, 11:37
Hi everybody in this wonderful forum,
I've got a question for all the Minolta Color Meter IIIF users out there (I just bought a used one, but it came without a manual...).
I've noticed that the meter sometimes suggests the use of two different filters (let's say 80B and, written in a smaller size, 82A): does it mean that I should use both of them or just choose one of them?
Thank you very much,
Giovanni

lenser
10-Sep-2007, 12:03
It is telling you to use both to balance the color.

First of all, you should be able to download a manual form the internet. Try Minolta's web site first and see if they a function to go to manuals or directions and you should find that. If not, Google 'Minolta Color III manual' and I bet you find one to download that way.

Back to the filtration. First be sure that you look a the side of the meter and have the correct type of film (daylight, tungsten, etc.) keyed. Then activate the meter and it will tell what combinations of filters are needed. Use what it says. Unless it is somehow out of calibration, it will be accurate for that type of film.

Caution, if you have light sources in the scene (sconces, chandeliers, ceiling lights, windows) the filters will often create secondary images since they effectively become additional "air glass" surfaces and create internal reflections of the lights.

If you are shooting large format, you can use instant photo material (Fuji Color is the most accurate I've found) to check your lighting and color. Just keep in mind that chromes will have even more vibrant and accurate color.

The meter is a good one. I've done many dozens of interiors shoots with mine and have never had a problem.

Giovanni Peretti
10-Sep-2007, 13:25
Lenser,
thank you.
I asked that because I did some tests in a commercial space and I noticed the meter suggested a little overfiltration. But maybe the light conditions (fluorescent, tungsten, daylight, all mixed together...) were somehow extreme.
I'll test it again and look for a manual!
And yes, I shoot large format. 4x5"
Thanks again,
Giovanni

John Hannon
10-Sep-2007, 13:41
Giovanni,
There is a copy of the manual in PDF here: http://www.vikenk.com/minolta_manual.htm

--John

Giovanni Peretti
10-Sep-2007, 23:35
John,
thank you very much. It'll be very helpful.
Ciao,
Giovanni