PDA

View Full Version : big-prints-by-hand developing system: who knows?

orp
9-Sep-2007, 12:36
I once came across a system to develop big prints by putting them on a kind of spiral and manually rotating them in long trays. Has anyone ever seen this? I remember it being 3-4 long trays 110cm x 20 x 20 (orange?) mounted on a table, and a simple rack for the rolled paper to be rotated and lifted from bath to bath....

Does anybody know a name, which company, or just how to build?

I try to put up a lab for sizes 100cm and bigger and I think, that this system might be very efficient, esp. for occasional use. Chemistry could be only 4-7l and roomtemperature process quite easy.

greets

Greg Lockrey
9-Sep-2007, 13:55
If memory serves me correctly, the one I had in the 70's was made by Arkway. It consisted of three 5x1x1' trays and a roller system where you hooked the photo paper to a beginning roll and finish roll. There was a handle where you turned the paper in both directions to get agitation and chemistry over the paper. It was easy enough just to put the paper on the two retainer rolls and turn them with your hands in the chemistry. So you really could fabricate it yourself if you can find the trays. If I recall, each tank used about 3 gallons of chemistry. They used to advertise these a lot back in the 60-70's in the photo magazines. Find one of those to look look up a brand name. (It's so much easier to do this digitally BTW).

Ash
9-Sep-2007, 14:12
Send me a pm and I'll try to remember to scan a book on cine-film processing.

It uses a similar principle that might help you construct your own spiral?

Jordan
9-Sep-2007, 19:06
If you're using a fairly large sink you will shallow long trays (about a foot wide and about 45-50 inches long). You'll need 4 for each of of your baths. Place the developer infront of the stop, then to the left you'll have your fixer infront of your water. The way you process your large sheet of paper is to scroll it though. If this is the type of info you are looking for let me know and I can fill you in further about mural printing.

orp
10-Sep-2007, 04:43
I think the system Greg describes is exactly what I am looking for. I know it was also produced still in the 90s, so I'll look if I can find a 2nd hand one before starting a building project, but tips and trick are for sure welcome.

thanks
orp