PDA

View Full Version : Hasse lens case

lenser
7-Sep-2007, 21:38
Okay, so it's not strictly part of my large format gear, but the lens is big enough to qualify as large in anyone's book......

I just bought a beautiful 500mm C type Sonnar for my Hasselblad and I need a case. I've checked with KEH, Sylvio's, Calumet, and Midwest Photo as well as Paul Mayberry of Classic Cameras. Nobody can find one yet although they are all on the look out.

Anybody out there have a long lost empty Hasselblad case for the original style 500mm Sonnar?

Thanks guys!!!!!

douglas antonio
8-Sep-2007, 10:50
hi,

now i don't know anything about the size of your lens, but i had problems finding a case for a symmar-s 300, which is a really big lens. after searching high and low at all recommendable stores bruce at photobackpacker.com provided me with one in the end that fits nicely. you only may have to add extra padding for the lens not to wobble.
so you may want to check that.

douglas

lenser
8-Sep-2007, 11:03
Thanks, Doug. I certainly appreciate your prompt reply and I'll look into your suggestion for some of my large format lenses, but I think I should have given some dimensions for this particular Sonnar.

This lens is for the Hasselblad medium format cameras so it has a different configuration than view lenses. Is it about 4 inches across at the largest diameter and over 16 inches long. Basically, it is about the size of an adult man's forearm. Hasselblad sold the lens with its own beautifully made leather case. This one (from ebay) did not have the case, so I'm on a mission to find one.

Any and all ideas of where to continue my search are most welcome.

douglas antonio
8-Sep-2007, 11:50
oops! well, i understand ;-)
have you tried getting in touch with hasselblad themselves?
perhaps they can help you. either with a case or a recommendation where to try.

douglas antonio
8-Sep-2007, 11:56
something like this?
maybe the seller can help you finding a suitable one for you.
ebay 3854384487

lenser
8-Sep-2007, 12:07
Thanks, Doug.

It's exactly the right style (and I love the lived in look), but that one is for the 350mm which is a smaller lens and I just double checked an old Hasse catalog which lists product numbers even for the cases. Not the same, unfortunately.

Great idea to check with Cambridge though and I will email them right now.

I appreciate your ideas.

Tim

matthew blais
8-Sep-2007, 17:07
I was going to suggest a wine bottle carrier, but 16 inches is a bit long for that.
I'd use a couple lens wraps and stick it in a cut downed cardboard tube. For now..

douglas antonio
9-Sep-2007, 05:53
ebay 330162719365

maybe the seller is willing to sell you the case seperately?
to be honest i could never find a sonnar 500.
so am still guessing the right case.

and now i will stop bothering you! ;-))

douglas

lenser
9-Sep-2007, 07:22
Hi, Doug.

Good info and better intentions are never a bother. Your suggestions have been most welcome.

Proving once again how I can dumb things up, my typing got away from my brain in the wee hours of the morning. The lens is not a Sonnar (like my 150mm) but rather a TeleTessar.

I am in touch with Cambridge Camera now and trying to get all the details I need about a case they say they have that will fit.

Keep your fingers crossed and thanks again for the help.

Tim

Ron Bose
9-Sep-2007, 08:26
Watch out for Cambridge Camera NY, they appear to have everything ...

They have a reputation for bait and switch. If you can have a friend in NY go physically check it out before you buy.

douglas antonio
9-Sep-2007, 10:46
hi tim,

so cambridge camera seems to be a good place to keep my fingers crossed for as even ron recommends it. let us know whether you are successful!
yes, every time i checked for a 500mm lens, only the "tele-tessar" came up.

best of luck

doug

lenser
9-Sep-2007, 14:12
Thanks for the warning, Ron. So far, they have responded with an offer that they have the case but will not supply photos and then when I asked for a thorough description, confirmation that it is the correct catalog number, and justification why this one is about $80 bucks more than the (only slightly) smaller case for the 350mm.....silence....so far.

Maybe if they can confirm that it is a new one and will send it COD, I'll bite. Otherwise, I'll heed your warning.

douglas antonio
9-Sep-2007, 23:28
just looked up "bait and switch". didn't know it was just the opposite of a recommendation ...
so ron, sorry for calling your warning a recommendation for cambridge!

douglas antonio
10-Sep-2007, 02:39
tim,

just saw your lens tele-tessar 500mm and the matching lens case (beautifully worn tan leather) at a local camera shop opposite the lab i use. asked the guys whether they would sell the case seperately but unfortunately they refused to. otherwise i could have got it for you. but they told me that lowepro sells cases for lenses as long as those. so in case you are not successful with cambridge or anyone else you might want to check again. i have a lowepro catalog showing a lens case 5 with the inner dimensions of 6x11.75".

douglas

douglas antonio
10-Sep-2007, 05:36
of course your lens is longer than 11.75" ...
just an example.

lenser
10-Sep-2007, 07:48
Thank, Doug.

I already looked into the Lowpro web site and found the case you are referring to. If thought I would try to find the real thing first and then, if that's not successful, call Lowpro to see if they would do a custom job.

Thanks again for a great suggestion.

Tim

sog1927
10-Sep-2007, 17:15
The Hassy 500mm C lens is a Tele-Tessar, not a Sonnar (I have the later CF Tele-Apotessar).
I think it's going to be pretty hard to find an original case that doesn't have another lens with it. ;-)

The Apotessar is exactly 16" long (with hood and cape - the front cap fits over the hood so I never take the hood off).

Steve

Okay, so it's not strictly part of my large format gear, but the lens is big enough to qualify as large in anyone's book......

I just bought a beautiful 500mm C type Sonnar for my Hasselblad and I need a case. I've checked with KEH, Sylvio's, Calumet, and Midwest Photo as well as Paul Mayberry of Classic Cameras. Nobody can find one yet although they are all on the look out.

Anybody out there have a long lost empty Hasselblad case for the original style 500mm Sonnar?

Thanks guys!!!!!