PDA

View Full Version : Correct tripod kit for my Tachi 4x5?

kalvino67
3-Sep-2007, 23:52
Hi all,

Well I finally decided to buy a Tachihara 4x5 (thanks to you all for your advice!) which should arrive in the next week or so.

I also needed a tripod for the camera and I purchased a Gitzo 2530LVL tripod plus a RRS BH-40 ball head plus B2-Pro-II QR clamp.

However, not being able to try the camera or tripod kit prior to purchase, I am concerned that either a Gitzo series 2 tripod or the BH-40 head may not be sturdy enough for 4x5.

Can anyone confirm if this was a sensible or stupid tripod choice for the Tachi?

FWIW, I will be using a 90, 150 and 210mm lens. Possibly adding a 75mm in the future.

Thanks for any advice.

Joanna Carter
3-Sep-2007, 23:54
There has just been another discussion about tripods and I mentioned that I have a Gitzo 2530LVL with a Manfrotto 410 head; this has proven to be a perfectly adequate solution for my Ebony SV45Te, much more stable and lighter than my previous Manfrotto 055ProB.

Matus Kalisky
4-Sep-2007, 00:29
I have used my tachihara with 125, 210 and 400(tele) lenses with Benro M227 (Gitzo 1227 clone) and two heads: Novolfex Magicball 50 and Linhof 3-D that I use now. The tripod is stabil enough so I guess that new Gitzo will be more than enough. The Magicball (~ 550g or so) by itself was strong enough but without quick release I was not able to tighten the camera strongly enough. The Linhof 3-D is more than enough and is rock solid (and cheaper than BH-40, weight is reasonable 800g).
The only stability issue comes now froom the camera itself when used close to full extension with the tele lens, but is still perfectly usable. But if I were you I would spend a bit more and get the RRS BH-55 which is stronger and adds friction control (or some other ballhead for that matter)

Just a comment - I guess yuo are new in LF and would mention that using LF camera with a ballhead is a bit different that with 35mm gear. It is perfectly fine with landscapes and lenses upt to 210 (I have only experience with Tachi) as if you would go with longer lenses than the camera becomes nose-heavy and is uneasy to adjust the position. It is doable but not so comfortable as with 3-way head (I guess that geared Manfrotto 410).

For architecture I would definitely go with pan-tilt head.

Anyway, good luck - it is a lot of fun to use LF.

Daniel_Buck
4-Sep-2007, 00:46
oops sorry for posting in that other thread, this must be the correct one :-)

The Tachi is probably similar to the Wista I'm using. I have been using a Ries J100 tripod and J200 head. Being my first wooden tripod I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but I have grown to really enjoy it! In fact, I'm even using it with my digital 1Ds2 (with a different head though, my old ball head)

I don't know if this would be any more (or less) 'correct', but it's nice having a wooden tripod to go along with a wooden camera. To be honest at first I was a little skeptical about a wooden set of legs, but under recommendation by a family member I went for it, and I have been very pleased with it!

Michael Heald
4-Sep-2007, 03:08
Hello! I use a Sunpak lightweight tripod for landscape work with my Tachihara. I use a 210mm Sironar N and 90mm Super Angulon. It's not rock stable, but the few times I've shot with the wind, I haven't had any problems. If needed, in that case, I'd probably do something additional to stabalize the system, such as using an umbrella. Best regards.

Mike

Brian Ellis
4-Sep-2007, 06:40
I have a Tachihara and the B40 head but I'm not familiar with your tripod. I use the B40 on a Feisol carbon fiber tripod for hikes and not usually with the Tachihara. However, I've put the Tachihara on the B40 a few times and it's seemed fine so you're probably o.k. though I would suggest avoiding big lenses in Copal 3 or similar shutters. If you had it to do over again the next larger size RRS ball head probably would have been a better choice but I think you can get by fine with the B40. I don't normally use the B40 with my Tachihara just because I don't care for ball heads with large format cameras. Most of the time I use a Bogen 410 geared head for large format.

Walter Calahan
4-Sep-2007, 06:54
What IS correct?

What works for your situation is best. Easiest solution is to physically check them out to see which one you like.

Sheldon N
4-Sep-2007, 19:55
I think you made a great choice and the tripod will be a good match for the camera.

A heavier camera, heavier/longer lenses, or a heavy wind might make the GT3xxx series or 13xx series a slightly better option, but the reduced weight + rigidity of your chosen tripod/head setup is a good match for the Tachi and the lenses you mention.

You probably chose the best lightweight tripod ballhead combo available in the "price no object" category.

TenOx
4-Sep-2007, 21:55
Have that tripod, 2530LVL, looking for a good ballhead that doesn't break the bank. Thinking about the Markins M-10. The tripod is rigid and seems to dampen vibrations well, very impressed after seeing results of time exposures. It does seem awkward to setup at first, with the unusual side-mounted column. But after a while, it still seems a bit strange, but gets more usable with practice. The odd column does offer advantages in tabletop and macro, and the design seems like it can be tapped for other uses as well.

/..

kalvino67
5-Sep-2007, 23:43
I think you made a great choice and the tripod will be a good match for the camera.

A heavier camera, heavier/longer lenses, or a heavy wind might make the GT3xxx series or 13xx series a slightly better option, but the reduced weight + rigidity of your chosen tripod/head setup is a good match for the Tachi and the lenses you mention.

You probably chose the best lightweight tripod ballhead combo available in the "price no object" category.

Thanks Sheldon and everyone else for your comments.

Hopefully everthing should arrive by next week...can't wait!!!

squiress
6-Sep-2007, 19:10
Have that tripod, 2530LVL, looking for a good ballhead that doesn't break the bank. Thinking about the Markins M-10. The tripod is rigid and seems to dampen vibrations well, very impressed after seeing results of time exposures. It does seem awkward to setup at first, with the unusual side-mounted column. But after a while, it still seems a bit strange, but gets more usable with practice. The odd column does offer advantages in tabletop and macro, and the design seems like it can be tapped for other uses as well.

/..

I have the Markins Q3 and consider it one of the finest ball mounts made. The M10 is a nice piece of work and great value. For whatever reason they tend to be wonderfully smooth at the tension point. Posts are titanium now as well. Getting better and better.

Stew

walter23
12-Sep-2007, 20:06
Hi all,

Well I finally decided to buy a Tachihara 4x5 (thanks to you all for your advice!) which should arrive in the next week or so.

I also needed a tripod for the camera and I purchased a Gitzo 2530LVL tripod plus a RRS BH-40 ball head plus B2-Pro-II QR clamp.

However, not being able to try the camera or tripod kit prior to purchase, I am concerned that either a Gitzo series 2 tripod or the BH-40 head may not be sturdy enough for 4x5.

Can anyone confirm if this was a sensible or stupid tripod choice for the Tachi?

FWIW, I will be using a 90, 150 and 210mm lens. Possibly adding a 75mm in the future.

Thanks for any advice.

I've had absolutely no problems using my shenhao 4x5 (which is heavier than the tachi) on a manfrotto 055B pro tripod. I'm not sure what the foreign equivalent model number is, but I think it might be bogen 2021 or something like that (you can google it to figure out). It's got a standard 3-way head. It's basically an approx. 6' high, 3 segment tripod made out of metal tubing (steel? damned if I know). It's robust by consumer standards, but nothing like some of the monster video tripods and the stuff 8x10 and higher users get stuck with.

I don't think you'll have a problem with a heavy consumer (or light professional) tripod.

SamReeves
12-Sep-2007, 21:32
Another Tachi kind of guy here. I've been using on my Slik UA212, and haven't had a problem yet. When I feel lazy and don't want to pack up the 4x5 when walking along, I leave it attached to the tripod. The Slik does a fine job holding it together. Thanks to the Tachi's weight the sky's probably the limit on a tripod as long as you figure on a minmum of 4-5 pounds.

kalvino67
14-Sep-2007, 15:39
Thanks again to everyone for your input.

In the end, I decided on a Markins M20 ball head and Gitzo 2530LVL tripod. It's a nice combination for the Tachi in 'calm' conditions. I have not tried it as yet for windy conditions but I doubt it would be so stable. It probably doesn't matter though as I couldn't see the Tachi bellows coping with seriously adverse conditions anyway. I'm not too fond of the Markins camera plate and I may end up changing the screw that attaches camera to plate, so that the camera is more secure.

But overall, this combo seems to be a good choice.