PDA

View Full Version : Just Sharing My First LF Shots

nelsonfotodotcom
3-Sep-2007, 18:07
Recently picked up a Graphic View II for $135, and received a Speed from a very generous Jim Graves. The GVII arrived with an Ysarex 127mm sorta-kinda jammed in the board with duct-tape. The front element, well-buffed, presumably for a soft-focus effect. I left it home, instead grabbed the Trinar 135mm I've had for many months, and managed a couple of 3 shots on Acros sheets. One, from the Speed, yesterday, and the latter two came off the GVII this afternoon.

I've got a ton (and then some) to learn about both cameras and LF in general, but I've been hungry to step up to 4x5 for a long time. Which is to say, while sharing, I know all 3 leave much to be desired. Also looks like I need to check the Speed for a leak, but should be easy to plug.

This community (and my own) have been very helpful in my pursuit of information about 4x5 photography. So, thanks, while I'm at it.

Best,
C.

David A. Goldfarb
3-Sep-2007, 18:51
You're off to a good start.

Looks like you might have some light leaks with the Speed. Check that you don't have any thin spots in the folds on top of the bellows, and that the bellows is securely attached in the back. It could also be a processing issue, like inadequate fixing, but that would be obvious from looking at the neg, and it isn't a problem on the others.

gregstidham
4-Sep-2007, 07:19
I like your three compositions. The lens seems to have some trouble in the corners. Of course, I like old lenses with trouble because it adds some character. :)

jetcode
6-Sep-2007, 11:15
I've got a ton (and then some) to learn about both cameras and LF in general, but I've been hungry to step up to 4x5 for a long time. Which is to say, while sharing, I know all 3 leave much to be desired. Also looks like I need to check the Speed for a leak, but should be easy to plug.

it's not about the camera, it's about the photograph, and you seem to know what that's about, 1st one my favorite

jetcode
6-Sep-2007, 11:16

it's not about the camera, it's about the photograph, and you seem to know what that's about, thanks for sharing

nelsonfotodotcom
7-Sep-2007, 07:44
Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm eager to take receipt of two barrel lenses en route and begin shooting portraits, which has been my focus of late.