PDA

View Full Version : Bellows extensions on field (wood or metal) 8x10s?

Darryl Baird
3-Sep-2007, 12:47
After I get comfortable with the 8x10 format camera and lenses, I plan to venture outside the studio, but not with my Cambo monorail. I'm presently using all 30" of bellows to do a bunch of still life shots and ultimately some full-frame head shots, so I need lots of bellows draw. I'd like more than 30." Currently my longest lens is 480mm.

What mid-priced ($1000-$2000) cameras are available to me? I'm the type of person to buy used gear first, so I'd consider even some of the portable vintage gear. I'm not really interested in backpacking or walking long distances (more than a 1/4 mile) with the equipment, so weight is not a top priority. I have a Wista 45 (early model like the SP w/o front swing) and greatly like the precision, it's better for my needs than the Tachi I sold to upgrade. SO -- I'd guess I'd prefer something quite that feels rock solid when locked down.

Cameras I have seen, used or just like from their specs include: Tachihara/Wista, Deardorff, Shen-Hao, Wehman, Gandolfi, and Canham (JMC810) 8x10 metal. Of course the Phillips would be in the list, but they've gotten too cult-worhsipped (no flame, but it gets crazy trying to find these). Perhaps the Charmonix is a contender, but the longest bellows they offer is just at 30" (760mm)

Anyone doing closeup style images on 8X10 in the field/locations?

Nick_3536
3-Sep-2007, 13:18
I think the Tachihara offers a tripple extension maybe that's long enough. The Shen is about 600mm [without measuring] The older Shen they don't sell anymore might have been long enough for you. Some one had one for sale here awhile back.

You sure you just don't want to take the Cambo out? If weight isn't the biggest worry then a monorail which backs well isn't going to be a worse choice then a field camera. I actually think my heavy old Cambo Super monorail isn't much heavier then my Ansco. The problem is you need to take it off the rail to back. Which means it takes awhile to setup for use.

Darryl Baird
3-Sep-2007, 13:33
you're probably right, but then I'd have to buy a case or just schlep it into the back seat and drive better than normal.(!):D

Nick_3536
3-Sep-2007, 13:41
If I take my Cambo off the rail it'll fit a back pack or the spot you'd put a field 8x10. Just need to use the 40" rail like a walking stick -)

Maris Rusis
3-Sep-2007, 17:12
My Tachihara 810HD triple extension camera offers 840mm of bellows extension as standard. By disengaging the lens standard from the vertical guides and using a bit of front tilt I can get maybe another 50mm. When all else fails I install a 100mm top-hat lens board made from pvc plumbing components and this gets me to 1:1 repro with a 450mm lens.

Jim Noel
5-Sep-2007, 12:41
Get a good old Deardorff. They have plenty of bellows for you and are a dream to operate.

erie patsellis
5-Sep-2007, 20:11
A C1 will offer somewhere around 36" of bellows, if you dare.

erie