PDA

View Full Version : View Camera Landscape Book Suggestions

Charles Mangano
18-Jul-2000, 18:39
Many landscape books are written from a 35mm perspective such as "Mountain Light " by Galen Rowell or from a MF perspective such as Charlie Waite's "Seeing Lands capes". I already have "Photgraphing the Landscape, The Art of Seeing" by John F ielder and Steve Simmons' "Using the View Camera" and have enjoyed them both. Wh at other titles would you suggest?

William Lindley
18-Jul-2000, 19:20
I liked the 3ed Book in Sinar's Large Format Book series; NATURAL LANDSCAPES, by Urs Tillmanns. It is Published by SINER AG, CH-8245 Feruerhalten 1994.I know it is available at Calumet Pro Shops. Good Images and text.

Simon_443
18-Jul-2000, 21:31
I agree on the Sinar book (although it manages to fit in a lot of Sinar plugs, of course). I got my copy through View Camera magazine, which used to sell such books; don't know if they still do.

Mark W.
18-Jul-2000, 21:59
I second the Fielder book, it's a true 4x5 landscape photography guide. A common sense guide with good techniques and nice pics.

Ray Dunn
18-Jul-2000, 22:04
All of the titles mentioned above are excellent references. I own those mentioned as well as a couple of others that are not about cameras, but are more oriented to composition which is where the real action is after you've learned the technical issues. Might I suggest two of my favorites: "Drawing Scenery: landscapes and seascapes" by Jack Hamm; and for color work I liked "Exploring Color - how to use and control color in your painting" by Nita Leland. In my research, these non-camera references are not hung up in technical issues, but focus (pardon the pun!) on composition from the purely creative perspective of drawing and painting. Another old favorite that is about photography is "Photographic Composition" by Ben Clements and David Rosenfeld. This one is strictly B&W, but covers composition thoroughly. Happy reading!

VNC
19-Jul-2000, 10:14
Ansel Adams: Examples. The making of 40 photographs.

Ellis Vener
19-Jul-2000, 11:49
There's no technique discussed in either of my recommendations but I highly reco mmend two of Jack Dykinga's books: The Sonoran Desert and < U>Stone Canyons of the Colorado Plateau</U>. All color, all 4x5, beautifully pri nted, and great essays related to the territory. Very inspirational.