PDA

View Full Version : Places that cut metal lensboard in NYC?

Rider
26-Aug-2007, 09:24
My Speedgraphic is still collecting dust on the shefl because I don't have any lensboards cut for the right sizes. I do have three lensboards with odd sizes (why are there so many Speedgraphic boards out there with funny sizes?). Is there a place around NYC that will do a professional cut for a cheap price?

cyrus
26-Aug-2007, 12:02
Any metal fabrication shop with a stomp shear (aka jump shear or Pexto) can cut sheet metal. Try the yellow pages. However, getting it all nice with rounded corners etc may be a chore requiring a dremel tool.

John Kasaian
26-Aug-2007, 12:04
Check with any High School that has a metal shop! The going rate in Fresno is a large box of Krispy Cremes for the faculty lounge. Oh wait, we don;t have a Krispy Creme anymore!

Bob Salomon
26-Aug-2007, 12:11
FotoCare Ltd, Photo Gizzmo, Photo Habitat, Lens and Repro, etc.

What is your definitions of professional and cheap? Someone in Manhattan that can do a "professional" milling job is not necessarily going to be "cheap".

Rider
26-Aug-2007, 15:35
Cheap enough to make it worthwile--if it's more than $5 or $10, I might as well spring for a new one from midwestphoto.

FotoCare Ltd, Photo Gizzmo, Photo Habitat, Lens and Repro, etc.

What is your definitions of professional and cheap? Someone in Manhattan that can do a "professional" milling job is not necessarily going to be "cheap".

John Schneider
26-Aug-2007, 15:59
No shop will touch a job for $5-10; heck, I won't even look at it myself for that little. Machine shop rates begin at about $40/hr and go up from there -- when I worked in aerospace, $80/hr was reasonable in the early 90's. If you want to do it that cheaply, I would suggest buying a decent import vise, a good hacksaw and a new mill bastard file. That'll set you back $100, but it will amortize out after several boards.

Rider
26-Aug-2007, 16:04
$40/hr doesn't seem unreasonable, but I wouldn't have thought this would take more than 15 minutes (if that long).

No shop will touch a job for $5-10; heck, I won't even look at it myself for that little. Machine shop rates begin at about $40/hr and go up from there -- when I worked in aerospace, $80/hr was reasonable in the early 90's. If you want to do it that cheaply, I would suggest buying a decent import vise, a good hacksaw and a new mill bastard file. That'll set you back $100, but it will amortize out after several boards.

David A. Goldfarb
26-Aug-2007, 16:05
The cost of mailing three lensboards is less than subway fare. If there's no rush, send it out.

Rider
26-Aug-2007, 16:47
At this point, there is no longer a rush. Can you recommend places outside of NYC that can do this by mail?

The cost of mailing three lensboards is less than subway fare. If there's no rush, send it out.

Nick_3536
26-Aug-2007, 16:56
Dremel? If they already have holes and you just need them enlarged just take your time.

You ask about the weird sizes? I'm guessing you want modern shutters and they're cut for older US imperial sized shutters.

David A. Goldfarb
26-Aug-2007, 18:22
If it's just drilling a hole, last I checked (which hasn't been recently) SK Grimes isn't too bad.

I've had Midwest drill lensboards for me, and I don't recall the charge being excessive.

Frank Marshman's rates for most things are very reasonable, though I don't know that I've had him drill a lensboard for me--1-800-471-8133. He always does a professional job, and I know he works on shutters for Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee as well as Sally Mann. He's worked on all my Bronica stuff, a few LF items, and some folding rangefinders.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
26-Aug-2007, 19:15
None of the camera repair shops drill lensboards in Manhattan since Marty Forscher closed. There is a machine shop somewhere downtown which used to be photographer friendly, but I can't recall where. Perhaps you should call L&R or Camera Care and ask if they know of anyone, but I suspect they will direct you to Grimes.

I have gone to a few machine shops in Brooklyn and had them do as I directed and I have never had a problem, but you do end up spending at least $60-100 since few of these places will charge less than an hours rate, even for a five minute job.

I think the best suggestion is to buy a Dremel and do it yourself.

Randy H
26-Aug-2007, 21:46
At this point, there is no longer a rush. Can you recommend places outside of NYC that can do this by mail?

Architectural Metals, in Califon NJ (about 30 minutes west of Elizabeth NJ)
Ask for Claudio (owner) or Doug (sales)
short drive from Manhattan. Take your camera with you and pick it up. Fantastic photo ops between you and Califon. They can do either light-gauge stainless or aluminum or brass. Plain mill finish, satin finish or mirrored.

If you can use wood, PM Scott-- on this forum (eastern PA). Does some fantastic wood work. (Take camera and pick up - great Photo ops)
Or Polished Metals Ltd in Hillside NJ. Ask for Jay (sales) (take camera and pick up)