PDA

View Full Version : Deardorff mystique

Dave Henry
22-Aug-2007, 02:21
I'm looking to buy a good 8x10 that won't break the wallet and am seriously considering the Shen Hoa. Following the popular auction site for the last couple months I've noticed the huge prices that Deardorff's are getting and don't understand it.

I was in Samy's in LA last month and spent a lot of time looking at the Deardorff and can't put my finger on the reason a 40 year old camera without positive detent registration points sells for more than a new Shen Hoa or Tachihara. The new cameras have numerous features and system accessories over the Deardorff. The 4x5 reduction back that was with one of the Deardorffs wouldn't accept a Grafmatic holder. Only DDS holders.

Is there something I'm not aware of or is it just the mystique and legend. Your advise is greatly needed. Thanks

Vaughn
22-Aug-2007, 04:26
Mystique. legend, American made, proven long working life, and whatever the market will bare. (bear?)

I borrowed a Deardorff 8x10 for a few months before buying a used Zone VI 8x10. I have been using my Zone VI for the past ten or so years. It will take another couple decades of use before it will develop any kind of character like that of the older Deardorff. I'm working on it ;)

So yes, there is a lot of hogwash...character doesn't take photographs. But a well made camera that has stood the test of time is nice to use.

Vaughn

Ed K.
22-Aug-2007, 04:55
Dave -

There are a few reasons to get a 'dorff:

They were popular enough to have a large number of accessories and spare parts available now on the used market.
Decent bellows draw - no need to pay extra for a double extension model
Not light, but not that heavy either
Even beaters, like mine, bring back nice photos
Less expensive than most other cameras that have the movements and bellows
Simple to use if you don't mind either a level in your pocket or mounting one on the camera
They settle down well - pretty stable cameras.
It's a right of passage - nearly everyone has used one
Each picture that comes out well seems like a miracle, yet most come out great!
If you like talking to people and being bothered while working - they are supreme!
To do a friend a favor, use your 'dorff to attract attention while he merrily shoots away

But then, I'm talking about the 8x10. In a 4x5, there are so many camera choices that are probably better. I believe that Samys had a 5x7 Deardorff. That, with a 4x5 back, might be nice. There are 4x5 backs that will take all sorts of holders. It just depends upon which one you were looking for. The 4x5 conversion back for my 8x10 back takes all holder types just fine.

The simplicity of the 'dorff is nice in the field. It's not a good studio camera though. A Sinar P series is so much nicer (but that's not a field camera).

Don't be too swayed by a 'dorff with a high price tag. Last time I looked at a 4x5 at Samys, it was in really nice shape - but they wanted all their money on it. Understandable for them, as good 'dorffs are not that easy to find - but there are plenty of Toyos that will bring back just as good a photo.

I like my old beater 'dorff. If I could cost-justify a nice Ebony or something like that, I'd sell it. It's becoming a good old friend of mine over time. It's sort of like the "Red Violin" in an odd way - I'm sure that many photographers have had a dream come true when they got it - that's the fun part.

There really isn't anything special enough to warrant selling your first-born for one. The special part about a 'dorff is probably more about what it isn't than what it is.

And Vaughn, you'd better watch out - if you make fun of it, I'll post a picture taken of you with it! :p

Brian Ellis
22-Aug-2007, 05:11
I've owned two Deardorffs. I'm not that familiar with the Tachihara and Shen Hao 8x10s though I've owned several Tachihara 4x5s and very briefly owned a Shen Hao 4x5 knockoff. The Deardorff has a longer bellows extension than the Tachihara double extension. The Tachihara triple may be as long, I'm not sure but it weighs a ton as I recall and isn't something I'd want to carry around for very long. I don't know about the Shen Hao. The Deardorff has a nice touch with the little sliding gizmo that gives you some front rise without having to move the front standard or point the camera up, I don't know whether the Shen or Tachi have that little feature. The Deardorff is a very simple but elegant design, very well made and solid (assuming you get one in excellent condition), and is very easy to set up and use. While it may not have all the movements of a Shen Hao or a Tachihara movements come at a price - increased complexity of operation and additional weight. The Deardorff had all the movements I needed.

Beyond that I don't know. I don't think I'd call it "mystique" or "hogwash" since the Deardorff is a user camera, not something with a price that has been jacked up by collectors. I suspect that almost everyone who buys a Deardorff plans to use it. The Deardorffs I owned were relatively inexpensive as 8x10s go (I paid about $1500 for each of mine, one had been restored, the other was in excellent condition). Maybe a little more than the Tachihara double extension or the Shen Hao but a lot less than a new Canham, Wisner (when there were new Wisners), Lotus, etc. But if you prefer the Tachihara or Shen Hao by all means buy one, I'm sure both are excellent cameras. Personally if I were to buy another 8x10 it would be either a Deardorff or a Wehman, the Wehman mainly because of the low weight.

John Kasaian
22-Aug-2007, 09:25
I had a fling with a Kodak Master View before before tying the knot with a Deardorff, so my experience is limited. The KMV is a great camera but it wasn't as instinctive for me as the Deardorff and I think that is probably the reason many people like 'dorffs, but as you mentioned about detents, if that sort of stuff is important to you then a 'dorff will definately not satisfy everyone's tastes.
Yes, they've become iconic and that has driven the prices up. I wish I could afford to buy another for a 'spare.'
Yes they are old and most exhibit not a little wear. But that is part of the charm---I often wonder who had my 'dorff before me---some commercial lab in a big city shooting catalog shots for J.C.Pennys? Did it travel up the Congo in a canoe with NAtinal Geographic? Did some famous 'tog from long ago cart it around the Mojave and Sonora deserts?
Yes, they are wonderful, very capable cameras. Are they worth today's prices? Perhaps, perhaps not. I haven't seen too many go for the price of a new 8x10 Tachi or Canham, so you could save a few bucks buying a used 'dorff. Maybe.
I don't know what Shens are going for but I'm very sceptical of the human rights and consumer safety issues going on in china right now. A preschooler down the road had Thomas toys constantly in his hands and mouth for the past few years, even sleeping with them and now has classic symptoms of lead poisoning(but thats straying from the subject at hand.)
If I had the coin and insited on a new 8x10 wood field I'd take a look at the Tachihara and Canham. If I was on a strict budget and could only buy used I'd look for an Ansco, B&J, or better yet Century Universal which is a delightfully light & compact camera compared to the Ansco, Kodak 2D, and B&J (of course you can expect to pay more for the Century because of those "dorff like" qualities!)
Essentially al that really maters on this subject is if you enjoy working with a particular model camera or not. It is sort of like playing a musical instrument. If you enjoy it you'll practice more. If you enjoy your 8x10, you'll go shooting more (they are terribly expensive pieces of wood to keep locked up and unenjoyed!)

Cheers & happy 8x10 shopping. I love the format!

Jim Galli
22-Aug-2007, 11:14
Within the last week or two if you search the ebay sold archives there were 2 user cameras that sold for far less than you're describing. One did not have a back but looked quite nice otherwise for $550 and a second decent user for $630-ish. Both had front swings iirc. It depends on what you're after. "New" is really important to some. Others just want to make pictures and could care less what the light tight box looks like. There was also a near mint 'dorff that soared up in the $3000 range. In that case, the Shen Hao looks very nifty. I have a Deardorff and it's a joy to use. It's currently languishing in a back pack because I enjoy the funky Kodak 2D with the Packard shutter inside over the 'dorff. I'd sell it but not for the current Ebay trend. I feel a good user deardorff should be worth $1100 bucks plus or minus.

I'll add that I dis-agree with the mystique thing. Deardorff's are handsome useable cameras and will continue to bring a price equal to that value as compared to the various newer bells and whistles offerings.

Herb Cunningham
22-Aug-2007, 11:20
Within the last week or two if you search the ebay sold archives there were 2 user cameras that sold for far less than you're describing. One did not have a back but looked quite nice otherwise for $550 and a second decent user for $630-ish. Both had front swings iirc. It depends on what you're after. "New" is really important to some. Others just want to make pictures and could care less what the light tight box looks like. There was also a near mint 'dorff that soared up in the $3000 range. In that case, the Shen Hao looks very nifty. I have a Deardorff and it's a joy to use. It's currently languishing in a back pack because I enjoy the funky Kodak 2D with the Packard shutter inside over the 'dorff. I'd sell it but not for the current Ebay trend. I feel a good user deardorff should be worth $1100 bucks plus or minus.

I'll add that I dis-agree with the mystique thing. Deardorff's are handsome useable cameras and will continue to bring a price equal to that value as compared to the various newer bells and whistles offerings.