PDA

View Full Version : How about a new color landscape thread?

Pages : [1] 2

D. Bryant
18-Aug-2007, 12:08
I'll kick this one off with a Velvia sunset shot.

Don Bryant

vinny
18-Aug-2007, 14:36
Wehman with splitter board, 8x10 E100vs, 305 G claron.

roteague
18-Aug-2007, 18:20
I'll kick this one off with a Velvia sunset shot.

Don Bryant

Great image Don. Do you mind if I ask where it was taken?

D. Bryant
18-Aug-2007, 19:47
Great image Don. Do you mind if I ask where it was taken?

Hi Robert,

This one was made on Jeckyl Is., Ga. Now that I have a new 4990 scanner I plan to wet scan the trannie and pull out more detail in the shadow areas at the bottom of the scene; detail is there though you can't see it in this version. This version is a composite of two scans, a highlight scan and a shadow scan, recombined with Photomatix Pro. BTW, there was no Tone Mapping or other PS manipulations, the color saturation is in the trannie.

Shot with a 90mm f/8 SA with a #2 Sign-Ray soft grad. I don't recall the exposure but it was several seconds or more. This was the last shot of the day and the light was going fast. With the f/8, the focusing screen was so dark I could barely focus.

Don

Sheldon N
18-Aug-2007, 20:35
Rodenstock 150mm APO Sironar-S, wide open & polarized, lots of swing. Taken near the Dalles, Oregon.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1070/1145531762_8a41f173bf_o.jpg

roteague
18-Aug-2007, 20:59
Hi Robert,

This one was made on Jeckyl Is., Ga. Now that I have a new 4990 scanner I plan to wet scan the trannie and pull out more detail in the shadow areas at the bottom of the scene; detail is there though you can't see it in this version. This version is a composite of two scans, a highlight scan and a shadow scan, recombined with Photomatix Pro. BTW, there was no Tone Mapping or other PS manipulations, the color saturation is in the trannie.

Shot with a 90mm f/8 SA with a #2 Sign-Ray soft grad. I don't recall the exposure but it was several seconds or more. This was the last shot of the day and the light was going fast. With the f/8, the focusing screen was so dark I could barely focus.

Don

That's a gorgeous image. I've thought about doing a double scan, but it does make sense; my 35mm scanner has that capability built in. I love the way you captured the highlights on the sand. I think that is my favorite part of the image. Thanks for sharing.

Eric Leppanen
18-Aug-2007, 21:00
311mm Cooke XVa lens, Lee 3-stop ND grad, 8x10 Provia 100F (cropped), drum scan by WCI.

Doug Dolde
18-Aug-2007, 21:13
Between a Rock and a Hard Place (or cat in a vise :D )

Brian Sims
18-Aug-2007, 22:14
At Toleak Point on the Washington Coast.

claudiocambon
18-Aug-2007, 23:36
The tree is north of Ocotlan, Oaxaca, less than an hour south of the city, and the horse is near Xico, Veracruz. These are rough, completely uncorrected scans, so apologies for the messiness!

claudiocambon
18-Aug-2007, 23:37
Sorry, I didn't do the profiles right, as I left them in Adobe RGB, so they look like heck...

Rory_5244
19-Aug-2007, 09:15
Waterloo, Trinidad. 8x10 Kodak E100VS. Arca Swiss/Fujinon 240A.

nicol_verheem
19-Aug-2007, 12:50
Never done this attachment thingy, hope it works...

Hanalei Bay Taro plantation at sunset.

Velvia 100F, thinks it's a Grandagon 75mm, f32, couple seconds.

gari beet
19-Aug-2007, 13:17
Looking across to Mull from the mainland, I live more or less under the cloud wrapped around the hill middle far horizon. 5x4, Provia100f. ziess 5.6/135.

Gari

Jiri Vasina
19-Aug-2007, 13:38
6x12 cm Fuji Pro 160S in DaYi 612 rollfilm holder, MPP Micro Technical Mk.VII, Schneider Xenar 135mm in very early morning (or it might have been a Schneider Anglulon 90mm f:6.8; the notes are a bit unclear :) )

http://www.vasina.net/photos/web/l003-4_web.jpg

Collin Orthner
19-Aug-2007, 16:54
Dry Island Buffalo Jump Provincial Park in southern Alberta. Wehman 8x10, Schneider 240mm G-Claron, Fuji RVP, and cropped to 4x10. The second image was made with an Anba Ikeda 4x5, Fujinon 125mm, Fuji Velvia 100F.

Jeffrey Sipress
19-Aug-2007, 19:27
A favorite of mine made in Zion NP in '05, and a First Place winner at the 'Shooting the West' event in '07.

Ebony SV45U, 90mm Rodenstock, astia.

http://machinearts.com/fredphotos/zionsnag-2.jpg

Rory_5244
19-Aug-2007, 20:01
Wow!

PViapiano
19-Aug-2007, 22:17
Ebony 45s, Kodak 100VS, 1/8 sec @ f45
Joshua Tree National Park
Taken during the Per Volquartz workshop weekend
January 28, 2007

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/153/423124617_ba83eb49af_o.jpg

Jorge Gasteazoro
19-Aug-2007, 22:18
A favorite of mine made in Zion NP in '05, and a First Place winner at the 'Shooting the West' event in '07.

Very nice...

Jeffrey Sipress
23-Aug-2007, 13:21
Thanks Rory and Jorge.

Man, this thread died fast......

naturephoto1
23-Aug-2007, 13:40
Well Jeffrey,

It isn't new, but I haven't posted the photo below on LF Forum. The photo was taken in 1998 shooting across Bear Lake, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO (flat topped mountain in back of image is Long's Peal) with Fujichrome Provia 100, Heliopan 3 stop Grad ND filter. Linhof Technikardan 45S, Rodenstock Grandagon N f6.8 90mm MC . Exposure NR. Image used as part of a traveling exhibit by the Sierra Club. No I did not add any of the debris in the Heart Shaped pool of water, it was there.

Rory_5244
23-Aug-2007, 15:29
Hey Rich,

Was the rock actually that colour or was that Provia turning it a bit blue? Nice pic though!

naturephoto1
23-Aug-2007, 15:56
Hey Rich,

Was the rock actually that colour or was that Provia turning it a bit blue? Nice pic though!

Hi Rory,

Thanks for the compliment. I believe that the rock in the foreground is granite. Granites are igneous rocks which form underground and their crystals can be observed by eye and magnifier. Granite does vary in color depending upon the mineral composition including the kinds of feldspars making up the rock. There should be some biotite mica and quite possibly horneblend in the rock; these minerals tend to be dark or black. Much of the rock will be quartz which should be light in color. Some of the feldspars will be pink in color (the mineral orthoclase) while the plagioclase feldspars are in fact a solid solution series of 6 different minerals. Granites tend to contain many of the lighter colored plagioclase feldspars including albite and oligoclase.

It is possible that the film is contrbuting to the color. However, there is a 3 stop ND Grad filter used here and there may be some blue reflection coming off of the sky and the water.

You can see much of the grain structure of the rock in the large prints. In the larger prints there is more color separation in the rock as well. So the size of the image (so small) is "compressing" the colors.

Rich

Paul Metcalf
23-Aug-2007, 16:44
1st: Regan Butte, 2000. Goes by Tilly's T*T, too. Wisner 4x5 Kodak E100S. 2nd: Near Steens Mt. OR, 2000. Wisner 4x5 Fuji RVP. 3rd: Toward Pinetum, Seattle Arboretum, 2004, Wisner 4x5 Fuji RVP, 1st Place Landscape Category, 2004 Seattle Arboretum Photo Contest http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nwgardens/179176_photocontest24.html

Rory_5244
23-Aug-2007, 16:48
Whew! A treatise! Consider me educated! Thanks for that, Rich, as I'm a complete rock dunce. :)

Eric James
23-Aug-2007, 17:23
Alpine Lupine and Mts Begich and Boggs
Summer Solstice around 11:15PM
Fuji Velvia 100 pushed one stop
Rodenstock 150 APO Sironar-S f11ish
Singh Ray GND filter 2 stop hard

Jrewt
23-Aug-2007, 18:27
I just took my first 8x10 chromes today.. I can't wait to contribute to a color thread, if the negs come out that is.

65Galaxie
24-Aug-2007, 20:01
Sunrise, Kansas pond. Kodak E100G. 90 Optar lens at F32 or Rodenstock 210. Speed Graphic.

Aender Brepsom
25-Aug-2007, 00:49
Ok, I am going to cheat a little bit as this is only a 6x9 cm image. Anyway, maybe someone's going to like despite the small size.

Porth Nanven, Cornwall (UK)
May 2007
Ebony SW23
Rodenstock Apo-Grandagon 4.5/55mm
Fuji Velvia 100
Lee ND grad

Rory_5244
25-Aug-2007, 09:23
Lovely shot, Aender! Hey, 65Galaxie, that's a great shot! Did you clone out the branches in front of the sun? I tried that once and it looked like grass was growing out in mid-air! Or maybe the glare of sun makes the branches hard to see. :)

Nicolai Morrisson
25-Aug-2007, 14:06
Eric, that is absolutely killer!

Stephen Willard
25-Aug-2007, 17:08
1. Ruby Peak in Morning Light

Crested Butte, Colorado
GPS: 38~54.345’N 107~06.784’W
120mm Nikkor SW lens
f32.0 @ 4.0 sec
Kodak Portra VC 160
No filters
5x7 format
http://www.stephenwillard.com/various/photoLinksToOtherSites/CB-RR-01.jpg

2. Stormrise

Indian Peaks Wilderness, King Lake basin, Colorado
GPS: 39~56.669’N 105~41196’W
210mm Nikkor W lens
f32.0 @ 4.0 sec
Kodak Portra VC 160
No filters
5x7 format
http://www.stephenwillard.com/various/photoLinksToOtherSites/IP-KG-16.jpg

3. Red Waters Parted By Granite

Indian Peaks Wilderness, King Lake basin, Colorado
GPS: 39~57.094’N 105~41.089’W
120mm Nikkor SW lens
f32.0 @ 8.0 sec
Kodak Portra VC 160
No filters
5x7 format
http://www.stephenwillard.com/various/photoLinksToOtherSites/IP-KG-10.jpg

65Galaxie
25-Aug-2007, 17:15
Rory, no cloning out of branches. Staight shot.

Lucas M
25-Aug-2007, 17:50
Taken last winter and just scanned in yesterday with epson 4990.

Brian Bullen
25-Aug-2007, 18:48
Stephen, beautiful images and I'm glad to see them in the 5x7 format.

Stephen Willard
25-Aug-2007, 18:58
Stephen, beautiful images and I'm glad to see them in the 5x7 format.

Thanks, I just started shooting 5x7 two years ago, and just this past spring I actually got time to start printing some of them. I used to shoot 4x5, but I can tell this, "Holy Cow" there is a huge difference. The tones are creamy and the clarity of the images are life like. I used to complain a lot about having to cut my own film from 8x10, and all of the loading and unloading in the field made me real bitchy. No more. It is well worth the effort.

Daniel_Buck
25-Aug-2007, 20:49
Stephen, your images have odd halos around them, is this an artifact of scanning and/or digital processing? I really enjoy looking at "2. Stormrise" but the halos around the dark objects are a bit distracting to me.

Stephen Willard
25-Aug-2007, 22:50
Stephen, your images have odd halos around them, is this an artifact of scanning and/or digital processing? I really enjoy looking at "2. Stormrise" but the halos around the dark objects are a bit distracting to me.

The images are scans of the final prints and are marginal reproductions at best. All of my work is done using traditional darkroom methods. The halos are actual areas in the shallow pond where the water is smooth. I believe the wind was very irregular that morning. Those areas of water that were rougher tend to polarize and enrich the huge of the reflected light more while those areas of the water that were smooth polarized the light less and more accurately reflected the light in the sky. This phenomena is also seen in "Red Waters Parted By Granite" where the lake was uniformly rough and the water completely polarized the reflected light and the huge was enriched to a red. The long exposures have a very creamy effect on the waters in both prints.

I write a narrative of every photograph I decide to exhibit. Here is a rough draft for "Stormrise". Please feel free to correct or make comments.

"I new the weather predictions were not good when I left for the trip, but the shear magnitude of the storm that settled upon the land caught me by surprise.

From the moment my llamas and I touch down on the trail, the rain and wind hammered at us with such force that it was almost impossible to see. By the time we had reach last year's campsite, it was 11:00 PM, I was drenched, cold, and mildly hypothermic. We took temporary shelter under a near by mature spruce to break the force of the storm and waited for the rains to reside. It was not until 2:00 AM before the rains stopped long enough to set up my tent and stock it with necessary gear to sustain life.

I rid myself of all my wet clothing before crawling into my tent, suiting up in my dry long underwear,and sliding into my sleeping bag in hopes of restoring my core body temperature. I was shaking violently. It was not until about 5:00 PM that I really felt warm at which point I fell into a deep sleep.

When I woke it was close to noon, and the storm was still raging full force with my tent deforming from the pressures of the winds. My 1.5 mm nylon fly was the only thing that stood between me and death, but I had confidence in my tent from previous storms that we had weathered together.

I remained in my shelter for four days and four nights. On the 5th morning the storm was weak and silent. When I peeked out at 4:30 AM and saw a sliver of clear sky on the eastern horizon, I new magic was going to happen. I rushed to a place I prototyped two years ago, looked up the appropriate record in the database on my Palm Pilot, and set up my 5x7 accordingly. When the brilliant morning light exploded upon the land I was ready and did what I had to do.

It was the only photograph that I took while I was in the King Lake basin for six hellish days and 30 seconds of pure joy! My llamas were not bothered by the storm and feasted on the lush green grasses that the rain brought. When we finally got back to the car we were all ready and excited about the next basin deep in the Colorado mountains we were going to explore."

Joel Truckenbrod
25-Aug-2007, 23:28
Here's a random assortment of stuff...All shots taken with a Tachihara 4x5, Fujinon 90mm and 135mm lenses, and Fuji Astia, 160s.

Woodlands Sunset, Beaver Creek, MN
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/truckyj/BeaverCreekReflection-06.jpg

Dusk, Brule River, MN
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/truckyj/BruleRiver1-06.jpg

Fog, Bean Lake, MN
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/truckyj/BeanLakeFog2.jpg

Dark Days, Lake Superior, Split Rock State Park, MN
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/truckyj/SplitRockIce-07.jpg

PViapiano
26-Aug-2007, 01:00
Beautiful images, Joel...thanks for sharing these with us!

Ken Lee
26-Aug-2007, 06:24
I agree - each one has a special deep feeling, rich color, wonderful composition... Sublime !

joolsb
26-Aug-2007, 08:38
OK, here's a couple of fairly recent shots. The first was made on a small island in the Rhine, just a mile or so from the German border.

Ebony 45SU, 150mm Schneider APO-Symmar L, Velvia 50.

And this one is of the 'Creux du Van' in western Switzerland, at dawn.

Ebony 45SU, 75mm Caltar + 1 stop ND grad, Velvia 50.

Rory_5244
26-Aug-2007, 11:01
Fantastic pictures, Joel! I can never get Astia F to look like your pics. Were these pictures done using the original Astia or Astia F? Thanks.

Aender Brepsom
26-Aug-2007, 11:15
Joel,

your "Dark Days, Lake Superior, Split Rock State Park, MN" picture is just fabulous! Wow, it really amazes me.

Aender

Brian Bullen
26-Aug-2007, 11:34
Joel, very inspiring images and the light is amazing in each one. I live in Minnesota so I feel a certain connection to these images. How do you keep the mosquitos off your lenses?:)

al olson
26-Aug-2007, 14:19
Durango Silverton Scenic RR
Along the Animas River, Colorado
135mm Schneider Symmar lens
f22.0 @ 1/25 sec
Fuji NPS 160
No filter
4x5 format

Joe Smigiel
26-Aug-2007, 21:36
Those are sweet Joel.

David_Senesac
27-Aug-2007, 08:53
http://www.davidsenesac.com/_a-z_evad/treasure_c.jpg

13,396 foot Mount Humphreys at center in background. July 2007 John Muir Wilderness during 5-day backpack. I've been quite busy the last 3 months with 8 backpacking trips into the Sierra Nevada and tons of material that will send me to the poor house before I ever manage to get them all drum scanned and printed. Provia 100F 4x5 transparency through my 90 Caltar on a Wisner Expedition atop a G-1325 with a crude flatbed scan here processed to closely match slide per my relatively accurate color fidelity style. ...David

Jorge Gasteazoro
27-Aug-2007, 11:31
Well I figure I come to the experts and ask which color 8x10 transparency film is your favorite and what is available in this size? I have been getting the bug to shoot some 8x10 slides and go back more than 20 years when I started photography shooting in color. WHat would you guys recommend ?

ljb0904
27-Aug-2007, 11:47
A favorite cactus of mine
http://homepage.mac.com/mrljb/Galleries/WebDisplay/lf2007_062_02.jpg

Eric Leppanen
27-Aug-2007, 13:04
Well I figure I come to the experts and ask which color 8x10 transparency film is your favorite and what is available in this size?While I would demur regarding the "expert" label, I have shot quite a bit of 8x10 chrome for landscapes and architecture over the last several years. Here are my $0.02 worth...

IMHO, having the option of using fast film greatly enhances the fun and utility of shooting 8x10. Therefore I only use chrome film that can be pushed at least one stop.

My favorite general-purpose 8x10 chrome film is Provia 100F (which gracefully pushes two stops). It can go blue in shadows, but it's nothing that a good warming filter or two can't handle (I carry a color meter to help choose which filter to use). Contrast isn't over-the-top and it can also be pulled a half stop. One of the things I like about Provia versus the more color saturated films is that reds don't get overcooked (and browns don't get turned into reds), a problem I've had with Velvia 100 (see below).

For extra color saturation, I have also used Velvia 100 (which for evenly lit scenes can be pushed one stop). In some situations it tends to overly exaggerate reds (certains browns also tend to get turned into reds) and it is very contrasty, but for special situations like shooting fall colors it works just fine. I used it successfully at Zion last November during the fall color season (routinely pushing the film one stop to better freeze wind motion). I previously used E100VS, but when pushed the colors of that film start going a bit haywire. My understanding is that Fuji North America does not stock 8x10 Velvia 100, but Badger Graphic might still have some.

I've also used 8x10 Pro 160S and Portra 160VC for situations requiring more latitude, but I understand that the revised Portra 400NC is much improved, and am looking forward to trying some.

Joel Truckenbrod
27-Aug-2007, 13:05
Beautiful sky Laurent, I remember seeing that a short bit ago on NPN. David, I knew that image was yours before I even looked at the name. Quintessential Sierra Nevada for sure! I bet the small flowers in the foreground would stand out nicely in a large print.

Thank you all for your encouragement regarding the images I posted. In response to a few of your questions -

Rory, I've only shot on Astia 100f...I haven't been doing photography long enough to have ever used the non-"F" version. I tend to shoot "portrait" oriented films for their wider dynamic range and for flexibility on the printing end of the process. So, my Astia slides don't necessarily look like my final prints, liberties are taken to increase (or reduce) contrasts, adjust colors locally and globally, dodging/burning, etc. I'm a big believer in digital printing for color work, and really enjoy having the ability to render my final prints as close as possible to what I had in my minds eye at the time of exposure. I see a slide (or negative) as an information source for the print, no more.

Brian, I've found my back and arms work well as a diversion to draw the mosquitos away from my lens ;). Depending on where I'm at, especially during June and July, I often come out of the woods with a lot of bites...deet helps, but only so much.

Jorge, I'm far from an expert, but here's a few of my thoughts. It's difficult to recommend a slide film choice from the standpoint that much of one's preference is simply a matter of personal taste and printing workflow. Also, some are more interested in the qualities of the transparency than others. Personally, if I had to choose one slide film, it would be Fuji Astia 100f. It's quite neutral in terms of white balance and color saturation. It also has the widest usable dynamic range of any slide film that I know of. If you want something punchy, Velvia 50 is a favorite of many. The trade off using Velvia is ease of scanning as well as the loss of potentially important shadow detail. Provia 100f can be a nice compromise if you want velviaesque color response (Speaking of color temperature response, not saturation - stronger response to warm values in the highlights and a tendency to blue shift in shadows) without as much contrast. Depending on the subject matter Provia can look great, a warming filter is handy to keep the blues in check depending on the situation. If your preference is for Kodak "flavors" over Fuji, I'd recommend 100G as a general purpose film, and 100vs if you want a contrasty/high saturation film like Velvia. Good luck!

Rory_5244
27-Aug-2007, 20:46
What an honest, and informative answer. Thank you, Joel.

Hi Jorge. I use E100VS mostly, though I have Velvia 50 in the freezer waiting for the current batch of E100VS to run out. One good thing about 100VS is that it doesn't require much correction for reciprocity failure at all.

Fabulous light ljb0904.

What flatbed did you scan that on, David? It's marvelously clear; like you can almost walk into the scene!

David_Senesac
27-Aug-2007, 21:01
Rory, its an old Epson 2450. The raw scan color balance, contrast, and luminance linearity is abysmal regardless of how I set it up. That reflects versus a good drum scan I always use for any marketed landscapes. I have quite strong long developed Photoshop skills especially regarding color hue and balance corrections that for the most part always require about the same corrections off the beast. Some transparency scans, especially with shadows simply cannot be fixed. I always work with transparencies on a light table right next to my computer in order to produce a close relatively accurate match to film. ...David

Rory_5244
27-Aug-2007, 22:26
Your Photoshop skills must be unbelievable! I have the 2450 too, and sometimes it's just beyond my ability to match the slide, even with Silverfast. At that point I just sigh, and send the slide in to WCI. The 2450 is like 'best approximation', and when there's plenty shadows in the slide, well, 'awful approximation'.

ageorge
29-Aug-2007, 15:27
Something a little less pretty....

Two from a resent trip to LA (Lower Alabama)

The Shed, Alberta, AL
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1107/1096043442_90a29594f6_o.jpg

Flat Tire, Bon Secour, AL
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1019/1139998163_37cda391b5_o.jpg

Leonard Metcalf
31-Aug-2007, 04:43
Charles Darwin Walk - Jamison Creek, Wentworth Falls, The Greater Blue Mountains World Heritage Area - Australia

Jim Jirka
2-Sep-2007, 08:57
Ruby Beach on the Olympic Washington coast.
Fuji NPS film.

http://home.comcast.net/~jrjirka/FNPS077ECSHP3.jpg

Saulius
2-Sep-2007, 11:53
A lot of wonderful images. Too many to comment on since I just saw this thread but a few that jump out at me that I really enjoy are:
Jim Jirka-Ruby Beach, lovely soft light and tones
Joel Truckenbrod-Woodlands Sunset, Beaver Creek, MN, wonderful image. It reminds me of my years living in the midwest. Great intimate landscape, great capture.
Jeffrey Sipress- just an outstanding composition.

So here's one from me.

Morning along the Crooked River in Smith Rock State Park.\

Gary Tarbert
12-Sep-2007, 05:01
Hi guys ,Some great shots on this thread i thought i would post this one as it is the only LF shot i have a scan of shot on a Tachihara 90mm super angulon on velvia 50.
.cheers Gary

Jiri Vasina
11-Jan-2008, 15:36
I'd like to again bring this thread with a lot of nice work to life. So here is a couple of pictures I finally managed to develop (E-6 developed in my darkroom).

MPP Micro Technical Mk.VII, DaYi 6x12cm roll back, Kodak E100 G.

http://www.vasina.net/photos/web/l010-3_web.jpg

http://www.vasina.net/photos/web/l010-6_web.jpg

Randy Redford
11-Jan-2008, 19:42
Great work everyone. It is inspiring me to break out the camera and start planning for spring.

Here are a couple of mine. Monument Valley and an Oregon Coast Lighthouse

Don Boyd
11-Jan-2008, 20:27
I couldn't decide which I liked better, the Straight Cliffs over the Hole-in-the-Rock Rd, Escalante, Utah, or the convenience of a . . . a--h-h . . . portable waste disposal system. So, I decided to include them both.

Toho 4x5, no filters (definitely a bag) and probably my Nikkor 200 M with Velvia 50. In retrospect, I think the polarizing filter would have helped.

Ron McElroy
11-Jan-2008, 22:32
I love the panoramas Jiri! The First image, l010-3, reminds me of some of my wife's paintings that were inspired from her stay in Germany.

Don Boyd
12-Jan-2008, 16:53
O.K., here's another one. Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge, looking west over the Chupaderas. Arca-Swiss 4x5, Astia, Fuji 450.

Harley Goldman
12-Jan-2008, 17:34
From a couple of weeks ago in Death Valley. Something different.

Velvia 50
80mm SS

Lucas M
12-Jan-2008, 20:18
Just outside Okotoks, Alberta. Hot from the scanner.

brian reed
12-Jan-2008, 22:16
Grand Canyon at twilight
Ebony Ti 4x5
Fuji 300mm
Fuji Astia

Thanks BR

Michael Graves
13-Jan-2008, 06:31
Footbrook, near Johnson, Vermont.

Ole Tjugen
13-Jan-2008, 07:18
I've only got the one...

Taken with a Linhof Technika 5x7" and a 165mm f:6.8 Schneider Angulon on outdated Ektachrome EPN 13x18cm.

Dick Hilker
13-Jan-2008, 09:03
A kettle pond in Myles Standish State Forest, Plymouth, Mas.. -- Wista 45RF, 90mm Super Angulon, Fuji Pro 160S

srbphoto
13-Jan-2008, 11:05
Don,

You said "I plan to wet scan the trannie"

That may be ok in Georgia, but you can get in BIG trouble if you try that in California:eek: :)

Scott
recent refugee from San Francisco Bay Area

Norm Buchanan
13-Jan-2008, 11:13
The lake was in Illinois, and the other is the Wave. Both were taken with and Arca Swiss F-field 4x5, Caltar IIN 90mm lens, on Velvia.

Andrea Gazzoni
15-Jan-2008, 01:04
humble contribution from a lf beginner

winter sunset in Montespluga (Northern Alps, Italy)
Sinar 4x5, can't remember if it was a 210 or 360mm ;-)
Velvia 100, ilfochrome print, crap scanner

thank you all for the beautiful pictures here
Andrea

dominikus bw
15-Jan-2008, 08:41
Waw...
You're all outstanding photographers...

Rory_5244
21-Jan-2008, 21:46
From long ago, by moonlight. AS 4x5 Kodak E100VS.

tgtaylor
24-Jan-2008, 00:46
Spring at Calavares Reservoir: 9324

Toyo-Field 45CF, 150mm Lens.

Thomas

BradS
24-Jan-2008, 22:56
Spring at Calavares Reservoir: 9324

Toyo-Field 45CF, 150mm Lens.

Thomas

Hey, cool! I know this place...it's practically in my back yard.

Eugene van der Merwe
28-Jan-2008, 23:57
Goodness,
Some great stuff you guys are showing, may even motivate me to get of my backside and scan all the trannies i've been procrastinating over for the last year! Here are a couple of shots to share though...
1) Linhof technika, Schneider super angulon 90mm F8, Velvia
2) Linhof technika, Schneider super angulon 65mm F8, 6 x 9cm rollfilm back, velvia
3) Cambo SC1 6 x 9 with RB67 back, Schneider super angulon 47mm f8, velvia 100, yes, i have gone a bit too far with the front rise...

Eugene van der Merwe
29-Jan-2008, 06:29
Oops, comments are in reverse order...

JavaDuke
29-Jan-2008, 11:50
Not much to brag about, but here are some:

1) The Castle, Capitol Reef park, Toyo/Omega View 45E, Graphlex Optar 135 at f/22, Velvia 100
2) Lassen Volcanic Natl Park, Wista 45DXII, Ilex Caltar 90mm, Velvia 100
3) McWay Falls, Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, CA. Wista 45DXII, Ilex Caltar 90mm, Velvia 100

Hollis
29-Jan-2008, 12:04
Shot at White Sands this summer. It was the wettest year I had ever seen - the desert was greener than Tennessee when I flew out there.

Darren H
29-Jan-2008, 15:22
O.K., here's another one. Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge, looking west over the Chupaderas. Arca-Swiss 4x5, Astia, Fuji 450.

Great image. Even nicer being from Bosque. I have never heard of anyone using a view camera there, seems to be all DSLR's with 600mm lenses and 9fps.

Alan Davenport
29-Jan-2008, 21:52
I must have missed this thread when it started; I just noticed it. So many wonderful photos I can't begin to comment on them all. I will say to Randy R., your excellent Oregon lighthouse photo is the Yaquina Head lighthouse.

I'm way behind on my scanning, but here's one I don't think I've burdened this forum with before:

North Falls at Oregon's Silver Falls State Park
10" Elgeet lens on E100SW

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/129/319213432_e08b356266_t.jpg (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/129/319213432_e08b356266.jpg)

Rory_5244
3-Feb-2008, 14:54
Two done at dusk/night respectively. Arca Swiss 8x10 and Kodak E100VS. Developed at home using the Tetenal 3 bath kit.

mrladewig
4-Feb-2008, 11:30
Pikes Peak and Waldo Canyon taken a couple weeks ago in -6F weather.

Tachiara 45BR, Fuji 125 W, 2stop GND, Provia, cold hands.

http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/d/694-4/RRR_20080121_05.jpg

roteague
4-Feb-2008, 12:11

http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/d/694-4/RRR_20080121_05.jpg

Fantastic image, makes me want to return (at least temporarily) to Colo Sprgs after being away for more than 15 years.

Jiri Vasina
4-Feb-2008, 12:47

mrladewig, that one is good. The coldness is radiating from the blues (Provia well chosen to emphasize them IMO).

Two questions concerning the image - why the whitish line near the left edge? Some kind of reflection in camera? Or light leak? And why the one at the top? Luckily none of them ruining the image, the required crop will not matter much.

I like it very much.

eddie
4-Feb-2008, 14:00
the reflection shot is in "sauger-stock. toyo 45CF 300mm nikon velvia 100F

the ridge line is mohonk NY. some of the best rock climbing the east. toyo 45CF 300mm nikon velvia 100F

the bryce canyon. kodak 2D 8x10. 12inch wolly. velvia 100F

mrladewig
4-Feb-2008, 14:02
Thanks Jiri and Robert.

I haven't figured out why I'm getting the light lines on the left yet. I get it on almost all my E-6 shots with both my cameras and I think always on the same side. I spoke with a friend who shot 4X5 for a long time about it and he did not think that it was a light leak or reflection unless it was a very slight light leak in through the darkslide slot. He had seen similar issues with all of the shots from one of his cameras and thought maybe it was due to pressure or stress applied to the film either at exposure or during development. I'm not sure yet myself, but for now, I'll have to take it into consideration when composing to leave some room to crop it out.

The other lines are because I shot this in its sleeve (there is one at the bottom too). I haven't invested in a scanner yet, so in order to share what I'm shooting, I've been shooting the slides with my dslr on my light table. I've left them in their sleeves just to protect them from dust and scratching until I get them scanned.

I'm planning to pick up some newer 4X5 film holders, but have alot of stuff on the list that I need sooner. (some jeep parts, a quickload holder for summer backpacking, scanner, etc...)

Jiri Vasina
4-Feb-2008, 14:09
mrladewig, do you use always same holders for the color shots? Have you tried shooting some BW film with the same holders? Was the "fault" there too? This way you could narrow down the reason a bit.

And the sleeve, I have not thought of that. It's good that it's not on the negative itself...

mrladewig
4-Feb-2008, 14:57
I have only a dozen holders, so I've used them for both. I don't remember seeing a dark line on the B&W negatives, but I can't swear to it, so I'll check when I have time.

I'm pretty sure it isn't an internal reflection since I've gotten it with both my cameras. So would most likely be a problem with the holders or something happening in the processing.

Mel-

tgtaylor
7-Feb-2008, 17:00
I have only a dozen holders, so I've used them for both. I don't remember seeing a dark line on the B&W negatives, but I can't swear to it, so I'll check when I have time.

I'm pretty sure it isn't an internal reflection since I've gotten it with both my cameras. So would most likely be a problem with the holders or something happening in the processing.

Mel-
Could it be that you are flexing the film a little too much when you load the holder?

Alan Davenport
8-Feb-2008, 23:36
Here's a new one, taken a couple weeks ago at Silver Falls.

Tachihara, 90/8 Super Angulon, 1/125@f/16 on E100SW.

Donald Miller
9-Feb-2008, 00:15
Cinque

Rakesh Malik
13-Feb-2008, 09:04
Wow, there are a lot of beautiful photographs on this thread already!

Here are some of mine... hopefully not too much of a let down after all that!

This one is of Mount Saint Helens.
http://i.pbase.com/g1/95/755395/2/92601124.N5nBsBLH.jpg

This is of Lipsy Lake, near North Bend, WA.
http://i.pbase.com/g1/95/755395/2/92601226.HZ9NNnnF.jpg

Louie Powell
13-Feb-2008, 09:16
Thanks Jiri and Robert.

I haven't figured out why I'm getting the light lines on the left yet. I get it on almost all my E-6 shots with both my cameras and I think always on the same side. I spoke with a friend who shot 4X5 for a long time about it and he did not think that it was a light leak or reflection unless it was a very slight light leak in through the darkslide slot. He had seen similar issues with all of the shots from one of his cameras and thought maybe it was due to pressure or stress applied to the film either at exposure or during development. I'm not sure yet myself, but for now, I'll have to take it into consideration when composing to leave some room to crop it out.

There appears to also be a series of dark dots in the lower left corner that also falls in to the light area on the left. Possibly hanger marks? If so, they are probably not avoidable, so regardless of what is causing the light area, the only solution may be to simply anticipate that there will be an unusable area on the left end of the sheet, and frame accordingly.

One of the paradoxes of photography is that 35mm shooters mercilessly crop their images, but LF folks want to use every square millimeter - even though we have so many more square millimeters to work with!:)

Ed Richards
13-Feb-2008, 11:52
> 35mm shooters mercilessly crop their images, but LF folks want to use every square millimeter

Hmm, that is not my experience with 35mm. One of my problems with LF is shooting like I did in 35mm, and not allowing any room for cropping. I have to force myself to step back and leave some adjustment room.

These are great pictures, now if we could just see them in black and white.:-)

Rakesh Malik
15-Feb-2008, 09:03
Wow, there are a lot of beautiful photographs on this thread already!

Gr... my post doesn't seem to be working, even though the preview did.

So here are the links:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Tamerlin/MountBakerSnoqualimieNationalForest/photo#5166004971460651618

http://picasaweb.google.com/Tamerlin/MtSaintHelens/photo#5166005422432217730

mrladewig
15-Feb-2008, 09:12
The mount saint helens shot is very nice Rakesh.

lostcoyote
15-Feb-2008, 10:15
Great shots everyone...
I am new here and here is my contribution...
(it's not yet a sharp scan or an unfinished digital job)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2341/1809468734_8ca94e966f_o.jpg

say, can somebody here direct me to a topic that compares digital b/w prints vs. silver gelatin? i wish to compare current state of the art digital prints with silver. what can silver do that digital can not do.

D. Bryant
15-Feb-2008, 10:43
Great shots everyone...
I am new here and here is my contribution...
(it's not yet a sharp scan or an unfinished digital job)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2341/1809468734_8ca94e966f_o.jpg

say, can somebody here direct me to a topic that compares digital b/w prints vs. silver gelatin? i wish to compare current state of the art digital prints with silver. what can silver do that digital can not do.
Wow, that shot looks almost stereoscopic, very 3D and saturated.

As for digital gelatin silver vs. analog traditional I think you will find that they are visually indistinguishable.

Don Bryant

Edwin Beckenbach
15-Feb-2008, 11:08
Inspiration Point, Anacapa Island, California
135mm Sironar-S, Pro 160C, f16 1/15"

PViapiano
15-Feb-2008, 11:16
As for digital gelatin silver vs. analog traditional I think you will find that they are visually indistinguishable.

Don Bryant

Sorry, but I have to disagree very strongly.

If behind glass, a digital B&W from one of the new inkjet printers can look very, very good...but silver gelatin prints have a certain look and feel in the hand that is still unmatched by any of today's papers. It's getting better, and there are some marvelous new papers that have just arrived and I'd love to try, but there is still no substitute.

On the other hand, digital and silver gelatin are two different and viable animals, and people should just accept that fact. Neither one should be superior to the other, it's just a preference. For me at this point in time, I consider a photograph to be an object, an art object in itself, and appreciate the inherent quality of work and time that goes into making it.

I've been printing digitally on inkjet for 6 years and have usually loved the results and the quickness of the workflow. However, over the last 6 months, when I started to undertake silver gelatin printing seriously, I have developed (no pun intended!) a passion for the traditional craft and art of B&W printing. Yes, it can be very frustrating and the learning curve is incredibly steep, but the feeling of satisfaction when you've made a decent print is unmatched by any other feeling I've had when preparing images otherwise.

lostcoyote
15-Feb-2008, 11:26
I did not wish to derail this topic. Should we start a silver vs. digital topic? I saw one months and months back but can not find it.

Here is another color shot...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2199/1808630043_dce75d6ad2_o.jpg

I intentionally stood in Ansel's footsteps - hehehehe - and not a whole lot has changed there since 1932... except for the ice pattern, the insects, spiders, and swallows that inhabit the cracks of the granite wall.

Rakesh Malik
15-Feb-2008, 12:32
The mount saint helens shot is very nice Rakesh.

Thanks!

domenico Foschi
15-Feb-2008, 13:46
Sorry, but I have to disagree very strongly.

If behind glass, a digital B&W from one of the new inkjet printers can look very, very good...but silver gelatin prints have a certain look and feel in the hand that is still unmatched by any of today's papers. It's getting better, and there are some marvelous new papers that have just arrived and I'd love to try, but there is still no substitute.

On the other hand, digital and silver gelatin are two different and viable animals, and people should just accept that fact. Neither one should be superior to the other, it's just a preference. For me at this point in time, I consider a photograph to be an object, an art object in itself, and appreciate the inherent quality of work and time that goes into making it.

I've been printing digitally on inkjet for 6 years and have usually loved the results and the quickness of the workflow. However, over the last 6 months, when I started to undertake silver gelatin printing seriously, I have developed (no pun intended!) a passion for the traditional craft and art of B&W printing. Yes, it can be very frustrating and the learning curve is incredibly steep, but the feeling of satisfaction when you've made a decent print is unmatched by any other feeling I've had when preparing images otherwise.

Paul, has used the words very pertinently.
Digital and Silver are two different things.
Photographers who work with silver are sometime criticized when instead of calling their works photographs call them silver prints.
I think is importaqnt to inform the public of the nature of the work.
Do you criticize the painter when he specifies Acrylic instead of oil?
Why should it be different for photographers?

Justin Black
15-Feb-2008, 19:46
Here's a recent one made at sunrise from Black Point at Mono Lake.

Doug Dolde
28-Feb-2008, 19:52
From Joshua Tree on Groundhog Day this year. 4x5, 110mm, Provia 100.

http://www.painted-with-light.com/images/site/CALIFORNIA/JOSHUA TREE/JT1M.jpg

Rakesh Malik
8-Mar-2008, 10:21
From the Chuckanut Mountains in Washington, at an overlook facing the Sound:
http://www.pbase.com/tamerlin/image/93681693

And one from Deadman's Bay, San Juan Island, WA:
http://www.pbase.com/tamerlin/image/93683616

jgunderson
8-Mar-2008, 12:19
Lone Mountain, Sweetwater Rocks, Wyoming
Shen-Hao HZX-45IIA
Rodenstock APO-Sironar-S 210mm/5.6
Fujichrome Provia 100F

http://wyominglandscapephotography.com/images/photos/lone_mountain.jpg

JPlomley
8-Mar-2008, 17:22
Wonderland
Acadia National Park
Arca Swiss F-Field Camera
Rodentock 135mm APO Sironar-S
4 sec f/32.3
RVP-50

claudiocambon
8-Mar-2008, 18:25
Xico, Veracruz, April 2007, Tech V, Xenotar 135, NPS (I have the odd sensation I may have posted this already; forgive me if I repeat!)

claudiocambon
8-Mar-2008, 18:28
And one more: Moonrise, Harpswell, Maine, November 1995 (same data as last pic). Congrats everyone on the beautiful work!

JPlomley
8-Mar-2008, 18:37
Claudio,

Beautiful tones in the Moonrise image. Which film did you use to record the image?

Cheers,
Jeff

claudiocambon
8-Mar-2008, 18:44
Claudio,

Beautiful tones in the Moonrise image. Which film did you use to record the image?

Cheers,
Jeff

Thank you, Jeff! I think it's NPS exposed for about 10 minutes or so. It was right after sunset, right before the sky went fully dark, so I got the last of the light blue in the sky before it went black, but all of the brilliance of the moonlight.

I have another sheet taken a bit earlier, which is not worth putting up because the composition is inferior, but it does show that there is also a slightly earlier point after sunset when the ocean gets this great turquoise glow (at least in terms of how film records it over an extended period of time) , as if there were pool lights shining up through it!

I can watch the ocean change color at sunset in this direction just about any day of my life...

cgf
8-Mar-2008, 21:37
...the ocean gets this great turquoise glow (at least in terms of how film records it over an extended period of time) , as if there were pool lights shining up through it!

Regardless of composition, I'd like to see that.

George.

walter23
8-Mar-2008, 23:20
4x5 shen hao, rodenstock 90, velvia 100, grad ND + polarizer

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/walter2323/img001.jpg

JPlomley
9-Mar-2008, 07:35
Walter, was this in Yoho NP. I spent about a week there in early December and it was incredible. Nobody was out there. In fact the silence was a bit unnerving at first, and I often wondered what would come out and attack me when I was under the dark cloth!

JonathanPerkins
9-Mar-2008, 12:51
Hunstanton on the North Norfolk coast, UK, is nowadays known for its caravan parks and amusements. However near-by is Old Hunstanton with its stratified cliffs of white chalk on a red limestone and below that the sandy coloured Carstone. The wreck is whats left of an old trawler that lost its moorings in 1945.

http://www.perkins.org.uk/npn/hunstanton_wreck.jpg

Ebony 45S, 110XL and Fuji 160s

Scott Squires
9-Mar-2008, 16:04
Monument Valley two weeks ago. Canham 4x10 Camera, Fuji 210 CM-W, new Velvia 50.

Ben Chase
9-Mar-2008, 21:06
4x5 shen hao, rodenstock 90, velvia 100, grad ND + polarizer

That is awesome - was this early in the morning?

Alan Davenport
9-Mar-2008, 21:47
I took this in January the day after a big snow. 4x5 Ektachrome E100SW.
Yes, this is full color...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3283/2322521389_f72de41c2c_o.jpg

walter23
10-Mar-2008, 13:12
Nope, Kananaskis (elbow river), Alberta.

Walter, was this in Yoho NP. I spent about a week there in early December and it was incredible. Nobody was out there. In fact the silence was a bit unnerving at first, and I often wondered what would come out and attack me when I was under the dark cloth!

linuxpng
10-Mar-2008, 23:35
My first picture post.. Be gentle.

ljsegil
11-Mar-2008, 03:19
About as close as suburban Chicago gets to a landscape. Technika 4x5, Fuji 240/A, Velvia 100, very early newbie effort. Hope somebody besides me likes it,
LJS

Mike Stacey
11-Mar-2008, 05:00
A recent shot with a Horseman Field Camera, 65mm Nikkor and Astia:

Ted Harris
11-Mar-2008, 05:22
My first picture post.. Be gentle.

Happy to be gentle about your picture but not about the domain name of your website.

You are using .org for a purely commercial site, this is against the rules. Nonprofit organizations are the only ones allowed to use .org (e.g. Red Cross SPCA, etc.). A commercial site should use .net, .com, .biz (maybe a couple of new ones too). Domain usage is not terribly closely watched but if someone yelps your ISP could shut you down. You should fix it.

linuxpng
11-Mar-2008, 05:42
Happy to be gentle about your picture but not about the domain name of your website.

You are using .org for a purely commercial site, this is against the rules. Nonprofit organizations are the only ones allowed to use .org (e.g. Red Cross SPCA, etc.). A commercial site should use .net, .com, .biz (maybe a couple of new ones too). Domain usage is not terribly closely watched but if someone yelps your ISP could shut you down. You should fix it.

Yes, but a squater has taken the .com. I didn't honestly know it was a big deal with the .org versus .com. They seem to be billed the same.

Ted Harris
11-Mar-2008, 05:57
It is a big deal, use .biz or change the site name.

JonathanPerkins
11-Mar-2008, 05:57
Hi Mike,

A recent shot with a Horseman Field Camera, 65mm Nikkor and Astia

A stunning image - I really like your work, especially the Temporal Coast series - very inspiring!

Jonathan

Mike Stacey
11-Mar-2008, 13:01
Hi Jonathon,

Thanks for the kind words. I like the image you posted here and am experimenting with 160S at the moment. Any tips for scanning, exposing etc? I use Vuescan and also Epson s/ware (depending on the image) combined with a 4990 scanner for web output. For printing I send out for an Imacon scan.

Thanks,
Mike

PS: I want your camera :-)

JonathanPerkins
11-Mar-2008, 14:02
Hi Mike,

I'll email you offline to discuss 160s, but I did struggle with a bit with Vuescan for colour negatives - I have since found Silverfast suites me better for the 160s. I'm using the V700 scanner.

Cheers,
Jonathan [I'm afraid I'm very happy with my camera :-) ]

D. Bryant
11-Mar-2008, 15:08
It is a big deal, use .biz or change the site name.

AFAIK, there is nothing written in stone or blood preventing individuals or businesses obtaining and using a dot-org domain name. Yes dot-org is often used by non-profits for their domains but it isn't unusual for a profit making business to capture a .com, .org, and .net domain name.

Ever hear of APUG.ORG? Not hardly what I would call a charitable organization.

Don Bryant

roteague
11-Mar-2008, 15:17
According to ICANN:

http://www.icann.org/tlds/

"In the 1980s, seven gTLDs (.com, .edu, .gov, .int, .mil, .net, and .org) were created. Domain names may be registered in three of these (.com, .net, and .org) without restriction; the other four have limited purposes."

Originally. .ORG names were intended for Non-Profit organizations, but I don't believe this is the case any longer.

Eric James
11-Mar-2008, 16:17
Yes, but a squater has taken the .com. I didn't honestly know it was a big deal with the .org versus .com. They seem to be billed the same.

What is the significance of your name? Goobus, like Goober - I think you can do better:) On the other hand, I feel your pain - the dot com of my url is also a godaddy advert. What an annoyance. I guess I'm part of the problem though - I've registered four names, three of which forward to my active site. Regardless of the appropriateness of the .org tag, if you put your mind to it I bet you can come up with a better name. Nice photo by the way.

Ever hear of APUG.ORG? Not hardly what I would call a charitable organization...
:D

linuxpng
11-Mar-2008, 17:58
What is the significance of your name? Goobus, like Goober - I think you can do better:) On the other hand, I feel your pain - the dot com of my url is also a godaddy advert. What an annoyance. I guess I'm part of the problem though - I've registered four names, three of which forward to my active site. Regardless of the appropriateness of the .org tag, if you put your mind to it I bet you can come up with a better name. Nice photo by the way.

:D

It's sort of an odd story. My wife's nickname is goo (nothing dirty there) and it over time had morphed to goobus. It's just one of those silly names that makes no sense really and it just sort of stuck.

I appreciate the feedback on the ICANN rules and am weighing the options with changing the domain name. There was more discussion around whether the domain was appropriate than if the photo was any good so that's probably not a good sign ;)

Thanks again,
Steve

Sanjay Sen
11-Mar-2008, 21:28
Steve, I liked your photo. And the subject is also very familiar - that is one of the few lighthouses I can almost always correctly identify! :)

BTW, I don't think you should worry about the .org domain name - like Don and Robert pointed out, it's fairly common to use .org domains for commercial purposes, although I believe the original idea was probably non-commercial.

Jack Brauer
12-Mar-2008, 22:28
My kind of thread! Here's one from the Elk Range in Colorado, right before I ran back to the forest as the lightning started booming.

http://www.widerange.org/images/large/bellsFravertReflection.jpg

Christopher Hansen
12-Mar-2008, 22:34
Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, Big Sur, California....

mrladewig
13-Mar-2008, 09:48
My kind of thread! Here's one from the Elk Range in Colorado, right before I ran back to the forest as the lightning started booming.

This is a great shot Jack.

Jack Brauer
14-Mar-2008, 15:31
Hey Mel and "Van", thanks for your comments. No fish here though! Just a shallow tarn at about 12,000 feet. Probably frozen solid through May.

Ben Chase
14-Mar-2008, 16:43

Good stuff!

Rakesh Malik
14-Mar-2008, 16:48

Gorgeous!

rippo
17-Mar-2008, 21:29
Went to Morro Bay, CA this weekend for my mother-in-law's birthday. Morro Bay is famous for Morro Rock, a large 'mountain' stuck out in the bay.

As luck would have it, a commercial photographer friend leant me his Linhof Technika 4x5 and twelve lenses ("here, just take the cases, it's easier"). Spoilt for choice, I narrowed the selection down to four lenses. This was shot on a 250mm, using Provia film. I cropped it to a 1:2 ratio which works better for me. Scanned and tweaked a little in photoshop.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2120/2341694387_c40b2921bc.jpg

mrladewig
18-Mar-2008, 06:28
Beauty rippo. Wish some friend would drop 12 lenses by here. :)

rippo
18-Mar-2008, 09:22
thanks! i just met this guy a few weeks ago: our sons play T-ball together. he's a commercial photog and only shoots digital now. so when i mentioned i shot 4x5 with a monorail, and didn't do a lot of landscapes because it was difficult to carry, he said "hey i've got this linhof..." when i went to pick it up to borrow it, i had no idea he was going to send me home with some much stuff! i did a quick mental calculation of the replacement value on the way home, and almost turned around and took it back!

now to find more uses for it before i have to return the stuff!

Ken Lee
18-Mar-2008, 17:03
http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/forum/L3.jpg

timparkin
18-Mar-2008, 17:04
It's sort of an odd story. My wife's nickname is goo (nothing dirty there) and it over time had morphed to goobus. It's just one of those silly names that makes no sense really and it just sort of stuck.

I appreciate the feedback on the ICANN rules and am weighing the options with changing the domain name. There was more discussion around whether the domain was appropriate than if the photo was any good so that's probably not a good sign ;)

Thanks again,
Steve

Don't worry about the domain name.. The convention is for .org to be 'personal' or 'non-commercial' it will never be forced (Verisign tried to do this in 2001 and failed). Check out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.org

Tim

Robert Bicknell
3-Apr-2008, 20:46
Two of my recent pictures. One of the Cape Arago lighthouse and the Upper Mckenzie River.

Jiri Vasina
8-Apr-2008, 13:11
I love this one. My wife said it's nothing special, she would not present it. But I love it, so you have the chance to make your own mind here...

MPP, i think it was Angulon 90mm, DaYi 6×12cm roll back, Fuji Velvia 50.

http://www.vasina.net/photos/web/l015-3_web.jpg

Michael Chmilar
8-Apr-2008, 13:24
I love this one.

That reminds me of this classic, from The Onion:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/46932

roteague
8-Apr-2008, 13:42
I love this one.

Then that is all that really matters for the purposes of this thread. We all have our own favorites, which may or may not mean something to anyone else.

Jim collum
8-Apr-2008, 14:35
Horseman SW-D II, Digitar 35mm, Aptus 75 (shifted horizontal)

http://www.jcollum.com/m/2008_04_06_pano1_flat.jpg

Fall Creek, in Felton Ca.

Donald Miller
12-Apr-2008, 13:43
Near Superstition Mountains Arizona. 305 G Claron.

Michael Graves
12-Apr-2008, 15:59
Vermont on Rt. 100.

mrladewig
16-Apr-2008, 09:56
A frosty December morning on Rampart Range Road in Colorado. The temp was very close to 0F when I took this shot.

http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/d/826-1/RRR_Dec_2007_edited-1.jpg

mrladewig
16-Apr-2008, 10:02
Thick hoar frost from a spring storm. Forgot my warming filter on my desk at home, so I had to do a bit of desaturation on the blue to get this to work. Also Rampart Range Road. March 2008.

Schneider 150/5.6 Symmar S, Provia
http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/d/828-1/RRR_Frost_A_edited-1.jpg

John Brady
16-Apr-2008, 10:07
Just got back into color again. Here are some new one's with fuji pro 160 s.

mrladewig
16-Apr-2008, 10:47
Very nice images John. The 160S seems to work really well with the greens here.

gari beet
16-Apr-2008, 12:51
A shot from a recent trip to Skye, Elgol looking across to the Black Cuillins. Pretty rough scan, not cleaned etc but you get the idea.

Taken from the shelf beyond the beach.
Freezing day with snow coming through every 10-15 mins. Set up, brace and hope it clears long enough to make an image, re-grad and meter, wait for the next storm to clear through, X4 or 5 times and finally got this.

Tachihara, SA90/f8, .3 and .6 grads, Fuji Provia, 2 sec@f32.
Gari

Rory_5244
16-Apr-2008, 19:25
Very nice, Gary.

gflanslo
16-Apr-2008, 23:30

Big Sur, CA. Taken with plenty of tilt and swing...isn't it obvious on the top

Donald Miller
18-Apr-2008, 03:39
Thick hoar frost from a spring storm. Forgot my warming filter on my desk at home, so I had to do a bit of desaturation on the blue to get this to work. Also Rampart Range Road. March 2008.

Schneider 150/5.6 Symmar S, Provia
http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/d/828-1/RRR_Frost_A_edited-1.jpg

Both of these images are very nice. Brings back memories of when I lived there. Thanks for posting.

mrladewig
18-Apr-2008, 11:00
Sunrise on from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, September 2007.

http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/d/835-1/NRGC_sunrise_01_edited-1.jpg

mrladewig
24-Apr-2008, 09:47
Capitol Reef's Carmel formation from the Notom Road, September 2007

Inspired by Steve Weaver's excellent short-grass prairie work.

Symmar-S 150/5.6, some front tilt, GND, Velvia 100

http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/d/847-1/Capitol_Reef_45.jpg

mrladewig
14-May-2008, 11:38
The Maze Overlook at sunset

Tachihara 45BR, Kodak E100VS, Fuji 125, 3 stop GND

http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/d/999-1/CMD_Mazeo_037.jpg

Mel-

mrladewig
14-May-2008, 11:47
Sunrise on the Dollhouse

Provia, 75 Super Angulon, 3 stop hard GND

http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/d/1012-1/CMD_Doll_001.jpg

mrladewig
14-May-2008, 11:49
Hidden Canyon and the La Sal mountains

150 Symmar-S, 2 stop hard GND, Provia

http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/d/1016-1/HCO_sunset_003.jpg

Wally
14-May-2008, 17:18
Sunrise on the Dollhouse

Provia, 75 Super Angulon, 3 stop hard GND

Very nice composition.

It looks like the filter siginificantly darkened the tops of the two columns.

mrladewig
14-May-2008, 17:33
Very nice composition.

It looks like the filter siginificantly darkened the tops of the two columns.

Yes, but they're darker than the bases. The sandstone is layered red on top of white. Without the filter, the sky would have blown.

Ben Chase
14-May-2008, 18:10
Yes, but they're darker than the bases. The sandstone is layered red on top of white. Without the filter, the sky would have blown.

This is just one of those situations that cannot be avoided unless you blend two exposures. That is of course, unless you have an ND filter shaped exactly like the sandstone :)

SamReeves
15-May-2008, 09:19
I'll put in 2’. Fog in the Salinas Valley from Fremont Peak, California.

http://www.samreevesphoto.com/landscapes/images/CN45070823_2gallery.jpg

Jiri Vasina
15-May-2008, 22:46
Xenar 135mm lens, 9×12cm Agfa RSX II 100 slide film, I'm not sure about filters used (possibly none).

http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/leto/p9x12-109_web.jpg

Wally
15-May-2008, 23:28
Here's a shot I took at the cliffs in Ocean Beach, a little beach community in San Diego.

Provia 100F, f32, 6 and a half seconds, 75mm Rodenstock, and cropped quit a bit for the composition.

Nana Sousa Dias
16-May-2008, 09:49

Fabulous image!

Nana Sousa Dias
16-May-2008, 12:10
I shot this photo at Lagoa do Fogo, S. Miguel island, Azores in last august. I used a Wista 45 DXII, Schneider Super Angulon 90mm XL and Fuji Velvia.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2935/lagoadofogo1sk2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

mrladewig
16-May-2008, 14:26
Another from Hidden Canyon, UT. Cropped a little to a 4X6 format

Fuji 210, Provia, CPL

http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/d/1022-1/HCO_Garden_002.jpg

Jiri Vasina
28-May-2008, 00:16
Xenar 135mm, 9×12cm Agfa RSX II 100.

http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/podzim/p9x12-139_web.jpg

John Brady
28-May-2008, 06:32
Hi, here are a few recent pics, two 5x8 and one 4x5...

vinny
28-May-2008, 17:45
Xenar 135mm, 9Χ12cm Agfa RSX II 100.

http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/podzim/p9x12-139_web.jpg

Nice shot Jiri. I've got a bunch of this stuff in the freezer that i have't tried yet. Great colors.

z_photo
31-May-2008, 05:53
lots of outstanding work here. as i am on the verge of the leap into LF it is inspiring.

just to reference a couple i think are wonderful

http://machinearts.com/fredphotos/zionsnag-2.jpg

Jiri Vasina
31-May-2008, 06:58
Thanks vinny.

Misty autumn morning - another one on Agfa RSX II 100 in 9×12cm, shot with Xenar 135mm

http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/podzim/p9x12-149_web.jpg

My impressions on this Agfa slide film are rather positive - it may be slightly less sharp than let's say Velvia or Provia (have not tried Astia), but only very slightly. It is less saturated in the greens and yellows, seems to me to be very accurate in rendering the colors. And IMO it has a bit wider lattitude than Provia...

mrladewig
27-Jun-2008, 06:57
Macey Lakes, Sangre de Cristo Wilderness in Colorado

http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/d/1107-1/MACEY_45_RDP_20080624_01_2.jpg

SA75/8, Astia, GND

A difficult 8 mile trek, the final mile covered in snow brought me to this gorgeous and infrequently visited lake in the wilderness. I spent my afternoon resting and fly fishing and dodging thundershowers, waiting for the light.

Christopher Hansen
27-Jun-2008, 22:26
Red Rock Canyon National Recreation Area
February 2008
Kodak E100G

D. Bryant
28-Jun-2008, 05:29
Red Rock Canyon National Recreation Area
February 2008
Kodak E100G

Nice!

Don Bryant

RickD
28-Jun-2008, 09:33
Some very inspiring work in this thread! Here's one of my favorites from near Cascade Springs, UT.

Wista DX 4x5, Schneider 120mm HM

http://www.rickdunn.net/LFinfo/Cascade-Springs-720px.jpg

Donald Miller
29-Jun-2008, 19:32
+++

Jiri Vasina
30-Jun-2008, 23:28
Last winter, misty cold morning - one of the outings I tremendously enjoyed and was oblivious of my frozen feet and fingers (I realized that in the car on the way home...)

Fuji Velvia 50, Angulon 90mm f:6,8

http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/zima/p4x5-065_web.jpg

Greg Lockrey
30-Jun-2008, 23:41
Some very inspiring work in this thread! Here's one of my favorites from near Cascade Springs, UT.

This is a nice one Rick, I feel like I'm standing there. :)

Greg Lockrey
30-Jun-2008, 23:42
Last winter, misty cold morning - one of the outings I tremendously enjoyed and was oblivious of my frozen feet and fingers (I realized that in the car on the way home...)

Another nice one Jiri. :)

Don Boyd
1-Jul-2008, 06:57
New cactus spine. Arca-Swiss 4x5, nikkor 120, Astia.

mrladewig
1-Jul-2008, 08:20
Sunrise alpenglow on Macey Lakes, Sangre de Cristo Wilderness, CO.

http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/d/1151-1/Macey_sunrise1.jpg

Fuji 125-NW, Front rise, f22, 4 seconds

Joe O'Hara
15-Jul-2008, 06:47
Wharton S.F., New Jersey. The sun was just breaking through the clouds and lit this group of ferns.

al olson
19-Jul-2008, 18:15
Such wonderful photos, Everyone!

Here is one of a full moonrise taken at Silverton in 12/04. When I drove up there it was a perfectly clear day. I set up my Linhof IV and waited for the moon to rise in the twilight. Thirty minutes before the moon was to appear, this filmy veil of clouds began moving in from the east.

Not the image I envisioned, but I had to salvage something out of the four hour round trip. Image made on Fuji RDP III, 4x5 sheet with Schneider Symmar 150mm lens.

Joe O'Hara
19-Jul-2008, 19:47
I think you did well, Al.

h2oman
20-Jul-2008, 16:50
I've been wanting to post some of my efforts here, but I don't have access to a scanner. Finally I decided to just tape the tranparencies (in sleeves!) to my living room window and shoot them (handheld) with my DSLR. I corrected the colors to roughly match the transparencies.

These are among my first ten LF exposures, with the Osaka 4x5 and 150mm Sironar-N I purchased from Blueberrydesk. I believe the film for the first is some expired Velvia 50 that Jim at Midwest was kind enough to spot me when I bought some things from him, and the second is on some gratis Astia 100 from Blueberrydesk. Metered with my DSLR. I wish I had taken the first with Astia, as the shadowed snow has an unpleasant purplish cast in the transparency. You will see the tops of the neighbor's trees at the bottom of that transparency, and clouds outside the window are the reason for the funny light blotches on the frozen lake in the second. I think there is a dog hair in there too!

I darn near got frostbite while taking the second shot! :eek: Oh yeah, the first one is Crater Lake from near the top of Mount Garfield. The second is Crescent Lake, OR. I'm thinking it might work well converted to B&W.

http://www.greggwaterman.com/crater.jpg

http://www.greggwaterman.com/shore.jpg

h2oman
20-Jul-2008, 17:20
Correction to the above: The Crater Lake shot was with a 90mm 5.6 Caltar (Grandagon)-N.

mrladewig
26-Jul-2008, 19:46
Velvia 100, 125 -NW, GND (didn't note which)

Upper Yankee Boy Basin

http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/d/1253-1/YBB_45_RVP1_20080725_01_edit2.jpg

Brian_A
26-Jul-2008, 19:49
That is amazing. Wow. Ok, enough of my gawking.

-Brian

Robert Fisher
26-Jul-2008, 20:00
ladewig, beautiful image. just perfect!!

h2oman
26-Jul-2008, 22:13
Mel, I think your images are getting better and better!

Gregg W

Donald Miller
26-Jul-2008, 23:04
Urban landscape

mrladewig
28-Jul-2008, 21:40
Another work in progress. Lower Blue Lake, Sneffels Wilderness, CO.
And the lake really is that color.
Tachihara 45BR, Provia, SA 75/8

http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/d/1257-1/BLB_45_RDP_20080726_03.jpg

Josh Z.
28-Jul-2008, 23:45
One of my latest.
Shen Hao w/90mm. Velvia 50
Desert View, Grand Canyon National Park AZ.

http://joshzamor.com/photos/DesertView-full.jpg

mrladewig
31-Jul-2008, 06:52
Some additional work on my last image has brought me to this point.

http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/d/1268-2/45_RDP_20080726_03-sRGB_sm.jpg

Brian_A
31-Jul-2008, 10:09
mrladewig,

Has anyone ever told you that they hate you? I do. But it's only because I'm completely jealous of your skill and physical location. Call me a hater I guess. :) Great work. I don't think I've seen a shot of yours I don't thoroughly enjoy spending time looking at.

-Brian

ljb0904
31-Jul-2008, 11:52
Great work, Mel. This looks awesome!

mrladewig
31-Jul-2008, 11:53
Thanks Brian. You just haven't seen my bad shots. Trust me, there are plenty of them. I'm just lucky to live in this area so I can have the opportunity to get one right.

Speaking of, I lived not too far from you for a while when growing up. My dad is retired military, and we lived in Chantilly in the early 80s and then inside the beltway for a very short time in 90 or 91 before returning to the family roots here in Colorado. I remember Manassas and even the area over by Dulles being mostly open country. I flew through Dulles en route to Europe a few years ago and couldn't believe how built up it was around the airport. I've heard that Manassas is pretty well built out too. Amazing.

Mel-

Brian_A
31-Jul-2008, 12:43
Mel,

It's definitely not the country anymore... It's the 'burbs now.. Heck, even Dulles itself is way built up now. I can't wait to move away from here. Too much b/s. I either like to live IN the city or in the middle of nowhere... I hate the burbs. Anyways, great work man. Kickass stuff!

-Brian

z_photo
2-Aug-2008, 11:23
so i finally went out shooting LF for the very first time. it feels like a steep learning curve for sure. here is a shot from the first day shooting with the wisner technical field camera and a 150 apo symmar. no scanner so this is a photo of the sheet using a digital camera. i left the film in the sleeve for the shot. Roaring Fork in the Smokies. The sunrise and ferns are from the next day.

JonathanPerkins
2-Aug-2008, 11:57
Staithes is an old fishing port on the North Yorkshire coast, UK. It remains reasonably unspoilt, a lovely place for a few days rest!

I made this image towards the end of a day that had seen the sea crashing over the harbour wall. There was still a large swell in the harbour and I decided to try a long (2 minute) exposure, with my back to the sea spray and holding the QuickLoad to try and stop it flapping around!

http://www.perkins.org.uk/npn/staithes_harbour.jpg

Ebony 45s, 110xl, Provia, F22 2mins.

prec88
2-Aug-2008, 16:03
how do you post a message or question here?
JOhn

z_photo
14-Aug-2008, 17:09
let me try this again

Another image form my first day shooting 4x5. Roaring Fork, Smokies

mrladewig
15-Aug-2008, 08:45
For not having a scanner, you're doing a pretty good job to share these. I've been there before too. You've got a nice batch of photos for your first time out.

z_photo
15-Aug-2008, 12:47
oh, i should point out that this was from the first day shooting, but it was scanned on a consumer grade scanner rather than via a digital shot of the film. my goal when i bought the 4x5 was to get some shots on the first time out that i'd not be embarrassed to show. to that end i am pleased but it is pretty obvious to me i've a lot to learn. but then that is why i decided to jump in with LF in the first place. for real amusement i should post some of the "misses". thanks for your kind comment.

PViapiano
15-Aug-2008, 14:10
I finally posted some of my Maui images on my Flickr photostream.

All made with my Ebony 45s and Fuji Provia...more to come!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/viapiano/sets/72157606739532385/

z_photo
15-Aug-2008, 19:14
scanned smokies sunrise, i think this was the nikon 360 tele. only photoshop work was spot removal. the stream shot is a repeat but with a longer lens and scanned vs. a digital photo of the sheet.

Jiri Vasina
16-Aug-2008, 23:15
http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/leto/p9x12-217_web.jpg

MPP MikroTechnical MK.VII, Agfa RSX II 100 9×12cm, Schneider Angulon 90mm f:6.8

Randy Acker
19-Aug-2008, 13:06
Golden Gardens Park, Seattle, WA Nikon 90/4.5 on a Sinar F

Eugene van der Merwe
19-Aug-2008, 23:44
Here's a pair of recent ones:
Reflection: Ebony SV45ti, Symmar S 300mm F5.6, Velvia 100, 3 sec @ F45
Tree, rock, grass: Ebony SV45ti, Nikkor SW 90mm F4.5, velvia 100, 1 sec @ F32, 0.9 & 0.3 ND grad.
I hope they meet the high standard you guys are setting...:D

GSX4
20-Aug-2008, 07:32
Here's mine. The winter shots were taken in -15 Degrees weather in MN about 8 years ago.

The 'Gwithian' shot was taken in Cornwall England also about 8 years ago now at Gwithian beach/towans

JonathanPerkins
21-Aug-2008, 15:32
Here's another from my recent visit to Staithes, North Yorkshire in the UK.

http://www.perkins.org.uk/npn/cownab_sunset.jpg

Ebony 45s, 110xl, 8secs @ F22 on Velvia 50.

jnantz
28-Aug-2008, 09:33

Jehu
28-Aug-2008, 10:06
My first ever color shot from a couple of weeks ago at Donner Lake. 210mm Rodenstock, Kodak VS100, f16(I think).

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z95/Jehu10842/LF_color/Donner_color02-2.jpg

Joe O'Hara
1-Sep-2008, 08:47
Those are both beautiful, Eugene.

Eugene van der Merwe
1-Sep-2008, 23:33
Thanks Joe, glad you like them!

mrladewig
23-Oct-2008, 05:37
More from my recent fall outing.

Forest floor
http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/d/1447-1/SCR_45_RAP_20081016_06.jpg

Ranchland
http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/d/1454-1/SCR_45_RDP_20081016_01.jpg

Gold in the hills - reworked a previous post
http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/d/1458-1/SCR_45_RAP_20081016_01_C.jpg

Minature lilypads - crop and rework from a previous post.
http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/d/1460-1/SCR_45_RAP_20081016_02_b.jpg

Mel-

David Hedley
19-Nov-2008, 08:57
Here's mine. The winter shots were taken in -15 Degrees weather in MN about 8 years ago.

The 'Gwithian' shot was taken in Cornwall England also about 8 years ago now at Gwithian beach/towans

Some really excellent pictures in this thread. I particularly like the middle picture in GSX4's post no. 227, which reminds me of Cy Twombly's paintings, and also some of Harry Callahan's work.

Here's one from Yellowstone;

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3291/3034782583_3e06d9b8b9.jpg

Toyo 4x5, 90mm Fujinon, Astia

h2oman
2-Jan-2009, 13:44
There is some kind of problem with a "trojan" on my web page. Another member told me about it when they tried my page and I immediately removed the link to my page from my forum info, but I forgot that I had posted some photos through my web page. I will ask the moderators to delete the post on page 21 and any others linking to my web page. Hopefully that will protect everyone else.

I will go now to the host for my page and delete all the files, maybe start again. I had my computer cleaned up since being alerted to this problem.

I am sorry for any inconvenience/anguish!

nathanm
5-Jan-2009, 11:01
I really like these two, Eugene. Great color and composition.

Here's a pair of recent ones:
Reflection: Ebony SV45ti, Symmar S 300mm F5.6, Velvia 100, 3 sec @ F45
Tree, rock, grass: Ebony SV45ti, Nikkor SW 90mm F4.5, velvia 100, 1 sec @ F32, 0.9 & 0.3 ND grad.
I hope they meet the high standard you guys are setting...:D

Eugene van der Merwe
6-Jan-2009, 01:36
Thanks Nathan, here are a couple more.
Sunset: Ebony SV 45ti, Nikkor 90mm F4.5, 0.9 hard ND grad. F22ish on Velvia 100
Yosemite tree: Ebony SV45ti, Symmar S 300mm F5.6, 0.6 ND grad hard, F32 @ 1/2s on Velvia 100

nathanm
6-Jan-2009, 01:51
I envy people who actually put their ND grad filters to good use! Mine sit around in their case, being expensive. *sigh*

tmastran
6-Jan-2009, 07:11
http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/leto/p9x12-217_web.jpg

MPP MikroTechnical MK.VII, Agfa RSX II 100 9Χ12cm, Schneider Angulon 90mm f:6.8

Excellent! I really like the lighting and color.

SamReeves
6-Jan-2009, 13:36
Yosemite tree: Ebony SV45ti, Symmar S 300mm F5.6, 0.6 ND grad hard, F32 @ 1/2s on Velvia 100

What a perfect splash of color in the snow. I guess the beetle got that pine? In any case it worked out great for the photo! :)

Eugene van der Merwe
6-Jan-2009, 23:42
I was rather excited when i spotted the little red tree! I'm not sure what turned it red, it looked a bit burnt and there were a few other in a similar state around (if you look carefully you'll spot them in the bg on the righhand side), i just figured there may have been a controlled burn earlier in year. I'm not much of a botanist though, so it certainly may have been beetles of some description.

David Hedley
7-Jan-2009, 02:27
Grand Prismatic Spring, Yellowstone;

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3202/3034769871_b9c4ef25c0.jpg

Toyo metal field, Fujinon 90mm, Astia

SamReeves
7-Jan-2009, 12:52
Do cityscapes count? In any case some recent negatives from Twin Peaks and the Golden Gate in San Francisco on December 30th.

http://www.samreevesphoto.com/posts/CN45081230_2gallery.jpg
Tachihara 4x5 Field, Rodenstock 210mm Geronar ƒ6.8, Portra 160VC

http://www.samreevesphoto.com/posts/CN45081230_5gallery.jpg
Tachihara 4x5 Field, Nikkor 90mm ƒ8, Portra 160VC

http://www.samreevesphoto.com/posts/CN45081230_7gallery.jpg

drew.saunders
7-Jan-2009, 16:59
A little known waterfall in a little known California park:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3293/3099745508_c6791df2b1.jpg
Larger @Flickr. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/3099745508/sizes/o/in/set-72157611038107688/)

and

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3160/3099745822_0213c526d4.jpg
Larger @Flickr. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/3099745822/sizes/o/in/set-72157611038107688/)

David Hedley
8-Jan-2009, 03:09
Jigokudani (Hell's Valley), Noboribetsu, Hokkaido;
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3505/3178175236_e40fc71230.jpg
Toyo metal field, Schneider 180mm, Velvia

Larger at flickr. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/32131681@N00/3178175236/sizes/l/)

bernal
8-Jan-2009, 12:12
TK 45 with 210mm Schneider Apo-Symmar.

Vaughn
8-Jan-2009, 13:40
Here is my only LF color I have done (not counting 6x7 roll back on a 4x5.)

I just scanned these (two 4x10's on an 8x10 transparency) and tried to match them (one was a half stop less exposed)...afraid my photoshop skills need a lot of work!!

Taken as a 4 or 5 part panorama (I forget, but this is all I have left of it). Taken from the top on an elevator shaft on top of the County Jail -- tallest building in Humboldt County.

Vaughn

PS...looking at the image, it is pretty pitiful!LOL!

BradS
8-Jan-2009, 16:24
Here is my only LF color I have done (not counting 6x7 roll back on a 4x5.)

I just scanned these (two 4x10's on an 8x10 transparency) and tried to match them (one was a half stop less exposed)...afraid my photoshop skills need a lot of work!!

Taken as a 4 or 5 part panorama (I forget, but this is all I have left of it). Taken from the top on an elevator shaft on top of the County Jail -- tallest building in Humboldt County.

Vaughn

PS...looking at the image, it is pretty pitiful!LOL!

Cool!

Steve M Hostetter
8-Jan-2009, 17:28
Do cityscapes count? In any case some recent negatives from Twin Peaks and the Golden Gate in San Francisco on December 30th.

http://www.samreevesphoto.com/posts/CN45081230_2gallery.jpg

http://www.samreevesphoto.com/posts/CN45081230_5gallery.jpg
Tachihara 4x5 Field, Nikkor 90mm ƒ8, Portra 160VC

http://www.samreevesphoto.com/posts/CN45081230_7gallery.jpg
Good show

Heroique
8-Jan-2009, 17:58
Here’s a view of a snowy Mount Baker (a sleeping volcano in the Cascades) from high-up in very different mountains – the Olympics of Northwest Washington. The volcano is about 70 or 80 miles distant.

I raced to capture this easy, early-evening shot – shadows were creeping in from the left.

I think the horizontal bands of color caught my attention: white, magenta, blue.

I also liked the vertical contrast between the cold-white volcano and burnt-black trunk. They seem so lonely.

Tachi 4x5
Schneider XL 110mm/5.6
Fuji Tungsten 64 (w/ 85b filter)
1/15 sec. @ f22
Slight lens forward tilt
Epson 4990

klausesser
22-Feb-2009, 10:29
sorry - wrong thread

Martin Miksch
25-Feb-2009, 16:44
Seneca Improved View 5x7, Carl Zeiss 135/4,5, Kodak EG 100

Michal Makowski
1-Mar-2009, 23:49
Toyofield, 150, Karkonosze Mt.

cjbroadbent
31-Mar-2009, 08:41
This is a Yellowstone painting. Is it really like this? Is it an embellishment? Maybe someone can tell me the author.