PDA

View Full Version : Technika infinity stop question

claudiocambon
17-Aug-2007, 08:48
I read once here on the forum that a 135mm is put in a recessed lens board so that it can share an infinity stop with a 150mm on a flat board.

Following that logic, and given that the proportional difference between these wider lenses is close, my question is simply, if my 135 were on a flat board, and my 120 on the recessed board, would they share the same infinity stop?

Thanks for any info, as always!

David A. Goldfarb
17-Aug-2007, 08:58
I think you would have the longer lens in the recessed board and the shorter lens on the flat board to do that.

There are also ways of sharing stops with more widely spaced lenses using the recessed and extended positions on the rail. This may require shimming and/or spacers in the recessed board to get it exactly right, and it will vary with different lenses. For instance, a 150 on a flat board with the rail in the normal position can share a stop with a 90 in a recessed board with the rail in the retracted position, and the same is true of a 135 and a 75. A 360 tele with the rail in the extended position might be able to share a stop with a 180 and the rail in the normal position.

sparq
17-Aug-2007, 09:22
A 15mm recessed board is a deep one. If you get an original Linhof board, it will cost you $$$ - I see no benefit over an extra pair of stops. If you get a cheap Chinese one, you'll be experiencing an utter lack of comfort and you'll quickly re-mount the lens back to flat board.

Bob Salomon
17-Aug-2007, 10:47
Since people are giving depths for Technika boards let's be accurate.

Current Linhof recessed 45 boards are:

001015 12mm recessed "Comfort" board with controls for setting aperture and press focus on face of lensboard. Also has aperture scale on face of lensboard, indicator for open press focus and flexible cable release quick connector. This board replaces all earlier 001015 10mm recessed board and the 001016 12mm recessed board. They do not have the "Comfort" features.
001047 6mm recessed lensboard
001035 21mm recessed board.

The latter 2 boards have the Cable Release QR with the new flexible connector that replaces the old wire connector types of Cable Release QR.

There is no 15mm recessed Linhof Technika board.

Bill_1856
17-Aug-2007, 15:34
I think that the reason for recessed boards and "normal" focal length lenses is so the front door can be closed with the lens inside.

gregstidham
18-Aug-2007, 08:03
I don't think one rangefinder cam will work for both lenses. I suppose you could test it out.

David A. Goldfarb
18-Aug-2007, 09:23
One cam will not work with two lenses, but one set of infinity stops will work for two lenses, if they are set up properly.