PDA

View Full Version : Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City

Henry Ambrose
16-Aug-2007, 10:21
Just in case you find yourself in Kansas City be sure to visit the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art. (or it's worth planning a trip around) I stopped on my way through Kansas City and I'm glad I did.

http://www.nelson-atkins.org/

Of particular interest over the years to come is the Hallmark Photography Collection that the museum acquired last year. The new wing, (the Bloch Building) which opened just a couple of months ago is spectacular. As nice a gallery venue as I've seen.

A current exhibition is "Developing Greatness: The Origins of American Photography, 1839 to 1885" showing June 9 – December 30, 2007. Wonderful early photographs extremely well displayed and lit.

And there's plenty more to see - its a great way to spend a day.

rmd-photography
16-Aug-2007, 22:19
I agree it is a wonderful exhibit and a great place to spend a day in KC.

Jim Chinn
17-Aug-2007, 06:22
I was there a couple of months ago and agree that the new addition is great. It really does justice to the museum's modern art collection and is a real pleasure to walk through. The dedicated photo gallery is a most welcome addition

If you go to Nelson-Atkins, just a few blocks away is the Kemper museum of Contemporary Art. They usually have some sort of photography exhibit as well and Kemper is free as is Nelson-Atkins except for special exhibits.

paulr
17-Aug-2007, 08:08
Thanks for the link, Henry.

Does anyone know if Hallmark is still collecting photographs, or is that the end of the line for their corporate collection?

Henry Ambrose
17-Aug-2007, 12:40
I think Hallmark gave it all to Nelson-Atkins. As far as I know it is one of the major photo collections in the world.

paulr
17-Aug-2007, 13:07
I think Hallmark gave it all to Nelson-Atkins. As far as I know it is one of the major photo collections in the world.

It definitely is. No connection to the artwork on the greeting cards!

I'm just wondering if this means they're not going to collect any more photography. I'm assuming so, but am not sure.

PViapiano
17-Aug-2007, 15:17
Steven Holl, the architect who designed the new addition, was on Charlie Rose a few weeks ago.

See it on Google video at:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3394847863136505171&q=charlie+rose+holl&total=9&start=0&num=50&so=0&type=search&plindex=0