PDA

View Full Version : copal 3 with a Phillips Explorer how?

Jordan
11-Aug-2007, 21:29
It is prob common knowledge to most of you, but how do I use a copal on a lensboard that is too tiny? Thanks in advance.

Jordan

tim atherton
11-Aug-2007, 21:51
It is prob common knowledge to most of you, but how do I use a copal on a lensboard that is too tiny? Thanks in advance.

Jordan

I'm trying to remeber, there's either a spacer that comes with the Copal three, or a technika style lensboard for copal three that's sort of the reverse of a recessed board.

Have you tried phoning dick phillips? I think I remember him saying something about it.

(but remember, the lens you are using also needs a rear element smaller than the copal lensboard hole...)

tim atherton
11-Aug-2007, 22:00
i think this is one version

(not sure if it sticks out far enough to clear the front of the explorer though)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/31349-REG/Linhof_001119_Flat_Lensboard_for_3.html

same caveat as above - like I said, probably best to call Dick

I think this is the wista version

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/63472-REG/Wista_214523_Extended_Lensboard_for_3.html

Oren Grad
11-Aug-2007, 22:07
Jordan -

You can get Technika boards drilled for Copal 3. The questions are (1) whether the rear element of the lens you want to use is too large to fit through the front standard opening and (2) whether the body of the lens gets in the way of seating the board securely in the front standard. Best to call Dick and ask. If you can't reach him - he's often away on travel - send me a PM and we can discuss further.

For anyone who looks up this thread later: Dick has made 8x10 Explorers with two different types of front standard. The older cameras have a large opening and accept Sinar boards, but his latest batches have been made with a smaller front standard to accept Technika boards.

Don Hutton
11-Aug-2007, 22:10
Give Adam a call at SK Grimes - they can supply spacer rings for either Copal 3 shutters, or Copal 3 S shutters - use them to move the shutter off the front surface of the Technika style board and you will have no problems - they will fit fine on a Phillips Explorer. About $20 each I think.

tim atherton
11-Aug-2007, 22:12
The older cameras have a large opening and accept Sinar boards, but his latest batches have been made with a smaller front standard to accept Technika boards.

And the technika lensboard mount is slightly recessed into the front standard

Oren Grad
11-Aug-2007, 22:16
And the technika lensboard mount is slightly recessed into the front standard

Important point - thanks for mentioning. This was an issue with Dick's 4x5 camera as well - early versions at least wouldn't accept even a Copal 1 if it was mounted on a board with the hole displaced downward, as the Linhof- and Wista-branded boards are drilled. You needed a center-drilled board. We discussed this when I was reviewing the camera and he may have done something to the design after that.

Jordan
14-Aug-2007, 05:41
Thanks guys for the responses. Oren, I'll hit you up with a PM if I need any more help. Thanks again.