PDA

View Full Version : Lubricating 8x10 Darkslides

G Benaim
9-Aug-2007, 01:35
Hi All,

Just got some wooden 8x10 holders, and the slides are a little tight. What's the standard way of lubricating them? I seem to remember people using graphite powder, can one use pencil lead? How do you keep graphite from making a mess of your film? What other options are there? TIA,

GB

Vaughn
9-Aug-2007, 02:08
Furniture polish.

Robert A. Zeichner
9-Aug-2007, 04:15
One very effective method I have used is to rub the slides with crumpled up waxed paper. It doesn't leave any significant mess behind that might get on the film. but seems to make them slide a lot easier.

BradS
9-Aug-2007, 06:43
The wax paper sounds like a good idea. I've used bee's wax. I bought a candle made of it and rubbed the darkslide with the candle...then rub with a soft cloth until it smooths out. It is a lot of work but, when you're done, you've had a good work out and the dark slides are left with a beautiful shine and they literally glide in and out of the holder.

I've also heard of folks using car wax or teflon spray(?).

No way that I'd use graphite though. That seems like it would make such a mess of everything.

Uusilehto
9-Aug-2007, 07:00
Teflon spray sounds like a good idea. And I agree with BradS. Graphite works better than other lubricants in many photographic situations but this is definitely not one of them. Dust is a PITA for me as it is. No need to spread that graphite across the emulsion.

G Benaim
9-Aug-2007, 07:16
Brad,

Did you put the wax on the whole slide, or just the sides?

BradS
9-Aug-2007, 07:25
The whole flat surface. :)

wfwhitaker
9-Aug-2007, 07:59
I use Elmer's Slide-All teflon spray lubricant. After removing the darkslide from the holder spray both sides. Let the propellant evaporate, then buff out the lubricant with a clean cloth so that no powder remains. You should notice a marked improvement. I've not tried wax, but have some Renaissance wax on hand (good for both wood and prints) which I should try as an alternative.

matthew blais
9-Aug-2007, 08:44
Dryer sheets. Somewhat anti-static too..

Kevin Crisp
9-Aug-2007, 08:53
They pick up or put out something brownish that makes them stick. If you wash them off (try Simple Green with a scrubbing sponge) that alone will probably cure the problem. Some have suggested a good vigorous wipe down/scrub with Pledge spray, and when I tried it, it worked quite well. If you really wipe the Pledge off there is no residue to speak of and it still works. Wiping them down with anti-static sheets from the laundry room works if the above still doesn't do it, and you won't get the little bits of wax wax paper can leave.

G Benaim
9-Aug-2007, 09:06
Thanks all for the help. I used some furniture polish w silicon in it and it worked great. No I just have to test their light-tightness. How much of a bulge is normal in the middle when the slides are inserted at the insertion end?

John Powers
9-Aug-2007, 10:08
When I got into 7x17 format I bought an assortment of nine film holders of various brands, what was available. Some of the slides were a bit tight. Dick Phillips the builder of the camera recommended CRC Industrial Food Grade spray silicon. At about the same time I attended the 2006 View Camera Conference and heard JB Harlin talk on the year he took to build two beautiful ULF cameras from scratch (see article in VC magazine). JB recommended Renaissance wax from Light Impressions and expressed concern about using spray silicon. He felt the silicon would likely attract dust. I tried the wax first because I thought it might be easier to remove if I didn't like it. I have been very happy with the results and feel that it has cut down on what little dust I was experiencing. JB said that he waxes all of his equipment with Renaissance wax to reduce the amount of dust as well as improve moving parts.

Good Luck.
John