PDA

View Full Version : Adapting Cambo Viewer to Ebony

Sideshow Bob
7-Aug-2007, 09:36
After doing a search on this forum I see a few have adapted the Cambo reflex viewer to fit the Ebony cameras. I’m reluctant to contact these individuals directly so I’m hoping that if anyone had done this that they could share how they did it. Any input would be very much appreciated.

Gale

Marko
7-Aug-2007, 09:44
Hopefully, it would also be useful for adopting it for other cameras as well. I would be interested to do the same thing with a Shen-Hao. Or, ideally, adopting a binocular viewer, either Sinar or Horseman, which could be found on eBay for relatively decent amounts.

Paul O
8-Aug-2007, 00:34
Hi. Unless I'm mistaken the majority of Ebony users either specify the adaptation prior to purchase or return the camera to Ebony for them to carry out the modification. If I were looking to modify I would certainly send the camera back - the thought of taking any woodworking tool (with my lack of skill) to my Ebony fills me with dread :eek:

Paul O
8-Aug-2007, 00:39
Just remembered - if you go to the home page of this web site and scroll down to camera reviews, click and scroll down to Peter Brown's review of the Ebony 45S, he shows a photo of his camera with the modification carried out to the top of the rear standard!

Greg Lockrey
8-Aug-2007, 00:39
Wouldn't it be easier to just adapt the viewer?:confused:

Dave - Landscapes
8-Aug-2007, 03:34
Hi. I had a modification done to the 2 retaining plates on the back of my SV45Te by SK Grimes to take the Cambo Reflex Viewer in November 05. I gave them a sketch of what I wanted, sent them the viewer and the GG back off the Ebony and did their magic producing the goods! If you look at their web site under Whats New and New Now and scroll down to 7/08/06, you will see the result they did for me. Cost was about $120US plus shipping.

Regards

Dave

Miguel Curbelo
8-Aug-2007, 03:51
An alternative solution, simple, fast and cheap: get a spare Ebony ABS GG protector, cut out a rectangle the size of the GG and glue the remaining frame to the Reflex Viewer.

Narcissist
8-Aug-2007, 04:48
To those of you that use this viewer, how useful is it? Have you abondoned the dark cloth totally or do you still fine focus with a loupe? How is it for judging movements?

This viewer isn't cheap at £220 and I can't really try one out first.

Keith Pitman
8-Aug-2007, 13:34
I adapted the Cambo reflex viewer to my Ebony myself. My workmanship is nothing like Grimes, but it cost me zero. Attached are pix. These are the steps: 1. Take a 1/16" x 1/2" aluminum angle and cut two pieces to about 2 7/8" in length. 2. Open up the angle of each piece to 125 degrees by placing a round bar inside the angle and compressing it in a vice. 3. Cut a notch (I used a file) in one side of the angle to fit the "locator" on the back of the Ebony. 4. On a router table, notch each end of the Cambo viewer by 1/16" deep and 2 7/8" to accept the aluminum angle. 5. Drill two holes in each end of the viewer and corresponding holes in each of the angles. 6. Use small stainless screws and nuts to secure the angles to the viewer. 7. Test fit and adjust as needed. 8. Coat with black paint.

The assembly as described fits my Ebony perfectly and works very well with normal and longer lenses. The corners are rather dark with shorter lenses. As a result, I haven't decided yet whether it will be my preferred method for composing and focusing. It weighs about 10 1/2 ounces compared to my Gnass darkcloth at 15 1/2 ounces, but it takes more room in my pack. Finally, you cannot use the viewer if you need to set up your camera at eye level. In these instances, I have resorted to the darkcloth (I'm carrying both right now, so no weight savings). The reflex viewer is easier to use in wind, of course. It also presents the image right side up (another element I haven't decided that I like). I think the reflex viewer would be most useful in a studio. All-in-all a useful accessory, but no panacea.

Sideshow Bob
9-Aug-2007, 09:20
Thanks for all the suggestions, this kind of help in like the commercial say’s “priceless”. What I’ve decided to do is order the brackets, which Dave designed, from SK Grimes. I like what you did Keith but if I screwed up cutting the viewer I would be very unhappy.

Also Keith, you say “you cannot use the viewer if you need to set up your camera at eye level”. Can’t you just rotate the viewer 90 degrees and view from the side?

Thanks again!
Gale

Keith Pitman
9-Aug-2007, 20:39
Thanks for all the suggestions, this kind of help in like the commercial say’s “priceless”. What I’ve decided to do is order the brackets, which Dave designed, from SK Grimes. I like what you did Keith but if I screwed up cutting the viewer I would be very unhappy.

Also Keith, you say “you cannot use the viewer if you need to set up your camera at eye level”. Can’t you just rotate the viewer 90 degrees and view from the side?

Thanks again!
Gale

Yes, you could use it at 90 degrees, but I find that orientation really awkward.