PDA

View Full Version : Mounting chromographic prints

Joe O'Hara
3-Aug-2007, 14:35
What are the alternatives these days for mounting chromographic (i.e., regular chemically
processed color) prints on museum board? I've been using the 3M photo mounting adhesive spray, but it's a pretty hair-raising experience since it wants to get on the glossy surface and often finds a way to do so. The last time I priced Seal dry-mount
presses they were staggeringly expensive, and I don't know whether you should
really use them for color. Any advice much appreciated.

C. D. Keth
3-Aug-2007, 15:45
Can you corner mount them to a board and window matte them? That's always my preference, not to use adhesive of any kind at all.

Jim Becia
6-Aug-2007, 06:00
I have been using PMA (positionable mounting adhesive) for years. It's fairly simple to use and has withstood everything I've thrown at it. I've kept the mounted photos in my van with temps exceeding 95 and then in my garage during the winter with temps below zero. The adhesive has kept all photos perfectly flat with no lift. No press is necessary. That being said, if the only problem you are having is getting spray on the front of a fuji crystal archive print, a little acetone should remove it without damaging the surface. Jim

www.spiritlightphotography.com

al olson
6-Aug-2007, 19:44
I have been using the 3M contact adhesive for the past 6 or 7 years. You just burnish it on. It is much easier to control than the spray.

A 50' roll of 11" is $36

16" is $50

24 " is $115

It is archival and keeps the print flat on the mounting board.

Joe O'Hara
8-Aug-2007, 09:26
Thanks, all. I will give these a try.

Regards,
Joe