PDA

View Full Version : Era vs Shanghai?

Ash
2-Aug-2007, 16:22
Not too bothered about in-depth responses...

What is the preferred film?

I'm planning on buying a few packs to use once I have the opportunity and the money available.

Any links to previous discussions would be great, but a subjective and definitive answer from any users is good enough for me :)

eddie
2-Aug-2007, 19:27
not the answer you are looking for but i find that foma 100 (arista edu ultra) to be cheaper than the two you asked about. i love foma 100 in 4x5. simply awesome. i use hc110 at dil. g (1:119) for 18 min agitated every 3rd min, and get wonderful results.

eddie

Andrey Donchev
2-Aug-2007, 22:28
I saw Shanghai GP3 only in 120 rolls and Era only in 135 or sheet, so I don't think they are comparable, at least with one camera. Otherwise I find Era (because I shot with roll film and 4x5) a bit better with Pyrocat-HD, but then again this can be connected with the size. Bigger negatives always look better!

Ash
2-Aug-2007, 23:09
Eddie, I'm in the UK and the chinese emulsions are available to buy at £5 for Era 25 sheets, and £10 for Shanghai 48 sheets (no idea why it's two short of 50). I don't think I can get Foma for that cost, 50 sheets is £16.

Andrey, thanks for that :)

eddie
3-Aug-2007, 03:42
i do not know ash. we get the arista.edu ultra (they say it is the same) here for $17 for a box of fifty 4x5. sounds like 8 pounds to me. ( i assume you are asking about 4x5? any way just for comparison) it is made in the czech republic so the shipping has got to be cheaper there than over on this side of the pond. maybe not. i just looked at all these prices and decided that the arista was the way to go because the shipping from china was making it a tad more expensive.
good luck and let us know what you find out....and how the film you get shoots.

eddie

Andrey Donchev
3-Aug-2007, 04:09
Eddie, Arista.Edu Ultra is notoriously cheep, and although it is made by Foma, you can not buy Foma film on the same as Arista price. Even in Freestyle Foma costs more then Arista.Edu Ultra. And only Freestyle sales Arista brand . . .

philbed
3-Aug-2007, 05:49
Dear Ash,
I have bought Era films and tested it. It's a very good film, quite similar to the old Ilford FP4. Not a very long straight line and a long shoulder. It works a little like "old" emulsion. It is very well packed and cost peanuts. 40 Eur. for 100 sheets (including shipping). A very very intersting film.
Philippe

eddie
3-Aug-2007, 06:28
Eddie, Arista.Edu Ultra is notoriously cheep, and although it is made by Foma, you can not buy Foma film on the same as Arista price. Even in Freestyle Foma costs more then Arista.Edu Ultra. And only Freestyle sales Arista brand . . .

good enough. only trying to help.

sometimes i am glad i am in the US others times i am not.

John Kasaian
3-Aug-2007, 07:29
I've no experience with Era or Shanghai, but if you're including Arista.eduUltra in with the lot I think the 100 iso is a really superb film. The situation IMHO is similar to back when FP-4+ was branded as the original Arista---a very fine emulsion offered at bargain prices which is great for students who can now afford to work with a "first tier" film again.

Ash
3-Aug-2007, 11:52
I bought some rebranded Ilford Pan F+ Arista, and it was super-cheap in comparison to UK prices but I got hit by nasty customs and postage costs on top.

That's my only worry about buying Arista again.

Gene McCluney
3-Aug-2007, 17:39
I bought some rebranded Ilford Pan F+ Arista, and it was super-cheap in comparison to UK prices but I got hit by nasty customs and postage costs on top.

That's my only worry about buying Arista again.

Well customs is only a percentage of the cost of the goods right? Film is light in weight, but to get best shipping rate, you really need to order a bunch. You have to factor in the customs and shipping and see if that still makes the film attractive in cost. What about vendors in the UK such as Silverprint? Don't they offer reasonably priced Foma and Efke made films?

Rob_5419
4-Aug-2007, 11:47
Where are you getting the Era and Shanghai films that cheap within the UK Ash?

Does it come in 8x10" size as well (for cutting down of course)?

Ash
4-Aug-2007, 11:59
Rob, there are a couple stores on eBay. I didn't see 8x10 though :(

Rob_5419
4-Aug-2007, 12:01
Thanks Ash. I still have a lot of frozen FP4+ to get through in 5x4". Trying to get larger sheets at a better costing is a bit problematic still.

Any results from the Era and Shanghai film yet?

Ash
4-Aug-2007, 12:05
I haven't bought any yet. I'm waiting to see whether I get any more work (so I have cash to spare - currently I'm break-even with the bank!) but otherwise I'll probably make a large order at some point next week or after as it will be my birthday a week Sunday, and I hope to have some ££ to spend :)

tim atherton
4-Aug-2007, 12:21
Rob, there are a couple stores on eBay. I didn't see 8x10 though :(

One of the ebay stores sells 8x10 (or did until recently), but he special orders it a batch at a time from the factory and then doesn't order any more until he's sold out, so there can be periods when it doesn't show up.

I'll see if I still have the link

I have a couple of boxes of the ERA in 4x5, but I've only got around to testing a few sheets so far

(I'm hooked on Efke 100 in Pyrocat right now)

Rob_5419
4-Aug-2007, 12:23
Not seen any retailers carry this kind of cheaper (but quality) film around here.

Agree LF film expenses can be a real hit on the wallet. Using cut down metre roll film has been good but now that such rolls are harder to source, I'll be the same as you paying over the odds for a few films. Shot in excess of 100 sheets in the past week:eek:

Don't even want to think about how much E6 is going to cost for half of that pile of dud exposures.

tim atherton
4-Aug-2007, 12:24
http://stores.ebay.com.hk/isaacchen

he's got 8x10 and 7x17 up, as well as 4x5

Rob_5419
4-Aug-2007, 12:45
Wow!

Thank you Tim.

That's less than £1/sheet from Taiwan. I'll check out what the postage rates are like.
Something as large as a box of 8x10" isn't going to pass for 'airmail Press rates' is it?

tim atherton
4-Aug-2007, 12:58
I think...?? the shipping is the $15.00 he has on there

If you do an ebay item number search you can get it in english

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110141695122

Rob_5419
4-Aug-2007, 13:05
I really don't know. I've read the English and I'm still not understanding:

Flate rate shipping fee USD$15 for 1 box (25 sheets) worldwide. Air way delivery, 7 business days estimation of arrival.

It is 10 boxes per carton and shipping discount applied. Let me know.

Does that mean I could order 10 boxes, and get them all shipped for $15 to the UK? ;)

Ash
4-Aug-2007, 13:46
I doubt it Rob.

Hold up though. If you plan on making a huuuge order from Tainan/Taiwan, wait til I can pay you for a a huge load of 4x5 and we'll share the customs and postage charges maybe?

tim atherton
4-Aug-2007, 13:49
I really don't know. I've read the English and I'm still not understanding:

Does that mean I could order 10 boxes, and get them all shipped for $15 to the UK? ;)

I think it means if you order a carton it will be cheaper shipping than ordering 10x boxes individually at 15.00 a pop

It's going to cost you more than $15.00, but not $150.00....

Rob_5419
4-Aug-2007, 14:07
That's a good idea Ash,

(is it ok to say in a public forum?) - I've noticed that customs charges are always levied on large items whereas smaller ones, customs just aren't interested in. I've tried avoiding ordering film in large consignments - just a greater chance that the film will be opened and inspected (in daylight) or holed in in the x-ray machines.

Also, as the cost of the film is around £22 for the 8x10 box, it is irritatingly high enough to be hit for customs, although at $15 for postage, it may be worthwhile if you er, catch my drift. Even a $5 reduction in a second box might not be worthwhile in such a case:cool:

Rob_5419
4-Aug-2007, 14:12
And then my guilt conscience tells me, that on second thoughts...

I should just have ordered much more from Ilford's ULF programme in the very first place. Even £400 in springtime for special order film, planned to last the year, feels like it's not enough to shoot with.

Ash
4-Aug-2007, 14:25
Rob, that's my big fear. I'd hate to spend maybe £100-200 on film to last me the rest of the year (or more) and find that it is all fogged or something.

I wonder how much I need to buy from Ilford in 4x5 size before I can blag a discount. Hmmmm poor student routine anyone???

Rob_5419
4-Aug-2007, 14:53
Yup - that's it. Fogged film is a nightmare.

Silverprint in London used to give discounts to students, so you could try there. If you buy more than 10 boxes, they give 10% discount too. Otherwise, if you use HP5+ or Delta 100, ordering offshore is also markedly cheaper - around £0.50/sheet.... cheaper than anything in the mainland possibly?

Sounds like the Shanghai/Era film is worth a go!

Ash
4-Aug-2007, 14:58
I'm gonna go for Era/Shanghai whichever is cheaper when I order a crate!

I'll see how money goes in the next few days/weeks :)

Rob_5419
4-Aug-2007, 15:12
I'll see how money goes in the next few days/weeks

Forward planning! Brings back old memories ;)

Yes - probably better to wait until the postal strikes are over...if we still have a postal service afterwards. The other alternative, is the NP22/NP27 Wephota stuff from Retrophotographic perhaps?

Ash
4-Aug-2007, 15:16
Whatever is cheapest!

I was spoilt. The Kodalith Ortho cost me £35 for my first box... and £5 for my second.

200 sheets for £40 = 50 for £10.... The Era/Shanghai rivals that cost :)

Gene McCluney
4-Aug-2007, 16:15
You should try X-ray film. It can give some very nice "glowing" results, and it is dirt cheap. See my thread on this, along with photo samples.

Ash
10-Aug-2007, 15:55
Gene, I've had terrible trouble locating X-ray film in the UK. Let alone at a reasonable cost! :(