PDA

View Full Version : Best books for Photoshop CS3?

sanking
2-Aug-2007, 14:54
I just started using Photoshop CS3 (from CS to CS3) and immediately see that I need some help with some of the new features.

Would appreciate the advice of some of our resident Photoshop experts as to the best book (s) for exploring the new software.

Sandy King

Marko
2-Aug-2007, 18:03
Sandy,

I haven't bought any CS3 books yet, but I heard good things about Adobe Photoshop CS3 for Photographers and Photoshop CS3, Essential Skills (Focal Press).

You might also want to check Adobe Photoshop CS3: Up to Speed by Ben Willmore (Peachpit) and Adobe Photoshop CS3 One-on-One by Deke McClelland.

Personally, I prefer a more dynamic approach through NAPP - between Photoshop User and their website, you keep getting stuff as it comes out rather than wait for the press. But YMMV.

Walter Calahan
2-Aug-2007, 18:10
Scott Kelby's PhotoShop SC3 for Digital Photographers.

Benito
5-Aug-2007, 03:55
I'm not sure how an accomplished user you are Sandy, but I'm an intermediate user, and have found I've got a lot more out of DVD tutorials than books. The 'Total Training' series with Deke McLelland (sp?) is great. There are three different sets of tutorials, and even the basic lessons had a lot to offer in helping to flesh out knowledge I already had.

Even though your only migrating from one version to another, there are lots of new features, workflows and short cuts for you to catch-up on. Of course a book is handy for quick reference, but to see experienced users working through something step by step can't be beat imo.

Thanks for your reply to my film/developer question earlier in the week too Sandy - I will go with your suggestion. I really appreciate you taking the time to get back to me.

Ben

Kirk Gittings
5-Aug-2007, 09:20
Real World Photoshop CS3 when they update it. Frasier died last year but his coauthor I understand is working on the update.

Peter De Smidt
5-Aug-2007, 17:24
Adobe Photoshop CS3: Up to Speed by Ben Willmore covers the changes made in CS3. It's a fairly thin book, but it is info packed. He also had an Adobe Photoshop CS2: Up to Speed. Using both of those, available for good prices through Amazon, should quickly bring you up to speed from Photoshop CS.

Don Wilkes
23-Aug-2007, 09:17
According to Amazon.CA, it should be out this fall:

"Real World Adobe Photoshop CS3 by David Blatner, Conrad Chavez, and Bruce Fraser (Paperback - Oct 19 2007)"

Maybe by then I'll be over the costs of my car repairs and the wife's birthday presents and will be able to afford the software. :} I'm currently struggling to learn LF scanning with PS Elements 3, and it ain't pretty...

\donw in Victoria

Howard Slavitt
24-Aug-2007, 06:51
I just received, and am entirely under-whelmed by, Kelby's CS3 book. It may be ok for beginners, but probably not anyone else.

Scott Kelby's PhotoShop SC3 for Digital Photographers.