PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking

J V McLure
30-Jul-2007, 22:07
Group,

I need some advice. I'm planning some trips for LF landscapes. My first will be to Big Bend and after that, out to the canyons and Rocky Mountains. I am trying to put together a backpack to tote my gear into the hard to reach places. I would like to be able to do at least 5 to 7 miles a day - perhaps more. Not planning on camping so these will all be day hikes.

I'm a big guy and in decent shape. I picked up a Lowpro Trecker AV and loaded it with the gear I think I will need. My camera is a light weight Toyo CF. My lenses include a 90 mm Super Angulon, a 150mm Caltar II-N, a 210mm APO Symmar and 270mm Tele-Arton.

I have a set of filters, dark cloth, Pentax Spot Meter and a light weight carbon tripod. For media, I have a Quickload holder and quickloads and 6 film holders for B&W film.

By the time I add water and a few other essentials any prudent hiker would carry, the load weighs a ton. What really makes it bad is that the pack is downright uncomfortable! My other concern is that the empty pack is quite heavy.

I have a good quality ultra light camping pack with a frame and on-board water bladder. Can a pack such as this be used? Can my equipment be protected in such a pack? From camping and hiking experience, I think that the pack frame is the key. I have carried far heavier loads in the past with this pack - no problem.

I'm sure that most of the weight is related to the glass. Am I trying to pack in too many or the wrong lenses?

I know I am asking a bunch of questions - sorry! Any help or advice from those with experience will be welcomed. I want to enjoy the experience not be saying "never again" as I try and make it back to civilization.

J V McLure

Matthew Runkel
31-Jul-2007, 03:29
I wouldn't worry about protecting your gear in a proper backpack if you give it a bit of thought. It may take longer to access your gear, but a true hiking pack with a frame and suspension system will let you carry larger loads comfortably, as you know. I'm sure there are lighter lens options--80XL, choosing one or the other of the 150 and the 210, relying on cropping to duplicate the 270, etc. I doubt you would miss one or two of the lenses if you left them at home. But there may be easier ways to shave weight.

I found it very helpful once to accurately weigh everything I was carrying. It's very instructive because then you can see exactly what is accounting for the significant chunks of weight, and work to reduce the weight of those items. Especially with overnight gear, there are usually a few items that account for most of the weight: pack, sleep system, tent, cooking gear. A lighter tent saves a lot more weight than cutting off the toothbrush handle. Weighing everything would help you decide if lightening your photo payload would be more efficient than shaving weight in other areas--a still-lighter pack is going to cost less than an 80XL, for example. If it were me, I would use my lightweight rain anorak (one of those essentials) as a darkcloth. My real darkcloth probably weighs a pound or more, so that's the difference between the Super-Angulon and the 80XL right there. I would leave the film holders at home and bring some ACROS Quickloads instead. That could be another lens right there. If I knew there was clear water along the trail I would not carry my whole daily ration of water but rather refill on the fly, and I would use Aqua Mira chlorine dioxide purification drops rather than a heavy water filter. Consider using two bicycle water bottles, one fastened to each pack strap with a loop of shock cord. These may be lighter and easier to refill along the way than your hydration bladder.

Jim Becia
31-Jul-2007, 05:32
JV,

I have been using a Kelty Redwing 3100 pack. You can usually get them for about $70 when they are on sale at REI or other outlets. I am able to carry my 4X5, 6 or 7 lenses, Readyload holder, light meter, film, food, water, raingear, and other miscellaneous "stuff." It's comfortable on my back (I'm 6' tall) and I'll go all day putting on anywhere from 5 to 10 miles with it on my back. For me it's a nice pack for my 4x5. Jim

Geert
31-Jul-2007, 06:20
I returned last week from a trip in France, Massif des Ecrins, and carried the 4x5 kit in a Lowepro PhotoTrekker AW II. I only conducted day trips in the mountains.

It could just hold:
- the field camera, 6 P-filters, darkcloth, cable releases
- 120mm Angulon
- 210mm Sinaron S
- 8 filmholders
- spotmeter
- some misc. stuff (viewfinder, loupe, field repair kit...) packed in small Eagle Creek Cubes

I had almost no room left for some snacks and fruits. The 2 liter water pack fitted in the front pouch. A light tripod was fixed on the outside.

For some serious trekking, I'd advise a larger pack, but it was very comfortable.

Regarding the choice of lenses I took along from my large selection I have, I did not regret taking only a 120mm and 210mm lens. They were perfect for the job.

G

Ron Marshall
31-Jul-2007, 07:02
For multi-mile hikes the photo-packs don't hack it. Bring your photo equipment to an outdoor equipment store and try a few good packs.

Get Acros or TMX and leave your six filmholders at home.

Stick with your current lenses for day hikes; you would save at most about 2 lb.

I carry a 3 lb Toho, readyloads, Pentax Spotmeter, three filters, CF tripod, 1 lb head and four lenses. The lenses and case weigh five pounds, which I am able to tolerate since my other gear is very light. I could shave two pounds off of the lenses, but they do double duty as 5x7 lenses.

paulr
31-Jul-2007, 07:06
This is a sketch of what i'd do based on climbing experience (which also requires backpacking with too much heavy stuff in your bag).

I wouldn't go crazy trying to eliminate weight from the photo gear. Opt for light gear when reasonable, and eliminate what you don't need, but accept the rest. That's what you're going out for, so know it's going to weigh a bunch. Then eliminate weight elsewhere. You can backpack comfortably with less than half the crap most backpackers bring, even without going the "ultralight" route without real tents, etc..

Forget changes of clothes (besides socks), that kind of thing. One pot. Lightweight stove. Lightweight food whenever practical. Lightweight modern tent that isn't overbuilt for the conditions (no need for a 4 season mountaineering tent in July, unless you're climbing Denali).

Finally, know you're going to suffer a bit on the approach, but not the rest of the time. Bring a light daypack so you can get around happily after you've set up your campsite. In this case, it's more important for the daypack to be photo-friendly than the big pack.

Mark Stahlke
31-Jul-2007, 08:22
Take a close look at photobackpacker.com (http://www.photobackpacker.com/home.asp). I suspect Bruce can set you up with exactly what you need.

Cheers,
Mark

photographs42
31-Jul-2007, 08:31
J V,
Heavy is relative! 20 years ago I carried 75 lbs all over the Southwest and didn’t think anything of it. The last two hikes I’ve taken have only been 3 or 4 miles with 55 lbs and I thought I was dying. Of course, the trails are steeper now than they used to be. Anyway, I’ve cut around 20 lbs from my load and am anxious to get out and see how I handle that but I won’t be able to get out soon unfortunately.

I would suggest a trial run with what you have. Go down to the hill country North of San Antonio for example and tromp around a bit. Also, for a day hike, carrying your tripod mounted camera over your shoulder seams easier for me than having everything in or on your pack.
Jerome

http://www.jeromehawkins.com/

Rick Russell
31-Jul-2007, 08:34
I too am a backpacking photographer. During the time I shot with a 35mm camera and throughout the first year of large format (4x5) I used a large Lowepro backpack (I don't recall which one). I was able to store all of my gear for dayhikes, but it was really a non-starter for overnight, as there was no ideal way for it to handle a tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, food, etc. along with my camera, lenses and film. In addition, the Lowepro backpack was not overly comfortable.

Dissatisfied with the Lowepro set up, as a first step I purchased from Bruce at Photobackpacker.com a Kelty backpack, backer board, camera case and lens cases. It turns out that the Kelty backpack was a much more efficient use of space, considerably more comfortable and lighter than the Lowepro. As a result I sold the Lowepro, and continue to use the backpack and accessories purchased from Bruce, who is simply wonderful to work with. The camera case and lens cases adds relatively little weight, yet helps to insure that my camera and lenses will be kept safe while hiking. Photobackpacker helped me solve the day hike issue.

There remained, however, the unresolved issue of multi day hiking. Although I ultimately did not purchase a second backpack from Photobackpacker to solve this problem, they nevertheless assisted me in determining my needs. Photobackpacker now sells 2 Granite Gear backpacks - at the time I was in the market they only sold one. Nevertheless, I learned from their website what I needed - a comfortable backpack large enough to hold all photo equipment, camping equipment and food. Paramount in my decision was purchasing a pack that was large and front loading, so that I could get to my camera and lenses.

I ultimately purchased a Gregory Baltoro. Its regular price is mid-way between the 3 Granite Gear packs sold by Photobackpacker. It's heavier than the 2 Granite Gear packs, but has a reputation for being very comfortable. With my pack, I am able to comfortably carry everything I need to be out for 3 days: all photo equipment, food, a tent, sleeping bag and pad, water and additional clothing. Is my backpack perfect? No. But it meets my camping needs. I will be going out Friday through Sunday and will be hiking at altitude (10,000 feet). My load is pretty heavy because of choices I make in terms of what I choose to take with me; but it serves my needs.

I hope this helps.

Dave Brown
31-Jul-2007, 09:04
Go ahead and use the camping pack you already have, providing it has a well designed hip belt. The key to carrying heavy loads comfortably over long distances is to carry the load on your hips, not on your back.

As for the equipment you are carrying, it doesn't seem excessive to me, and it really doesn't weigh all that much. If you find after a few outings that you aren't using something, go ahead and eliminate it.

Here's what I do to protect my equipment: I wrap the camera in the dark cloth (or in my fleece jacket, which sometimes serves as a dark cloth). Lenses are wrapped in Domke wraps, film holders have their own little case, and quick loads & Polaroids reside in a Rubbermaid container. My spot meter lives in its little leather case, and filters are stacked together and put in one of the pack's pockets.

A few quick tips on packing your pack: If you have a typical internal frame pack, there is probably a sleeping bag compartment at the bottom; this is a good place for a jacket or anything that is bulky but light weight. Above the sleeping bag compartment, put heavier items (i.e. lenses) low and toward your back. I strap my tripod on the side of the pack (or sometimes the back) with the head down (to keep the weight low). In dusty conditions (Moab) and wet conditions (Tetons in the afternoon) consider putting everything in its own ziplock bag. I always carry a large, heavy duty trash bag; in the event of a storm, you can take cover, and cover the whole pack with the trash bag. Although they aren't a bad idea, I've found that pack rain covers have limited effectiveness in a real downpour

Keith S. Walklet
31-Jul-2007, 09:15
Like some other folks here, my pack is on the heavy side, as I carry multiple formats. One bit of gear I don't go without these days is hiking poles. They don't lighten my load, but they make it seem lighter. They make climbing and descending rugged trails much easier on my knees and provide me with much more stability under load. When I first saw folks using them on the trail, I thought it was a joke. Now, like the AMEX ad, "I don't leave home without them."

Bruce Watson
31-Jul-2007, 10:33
I faced this problem about five years ago. I decided on an Osprey Eclipse pack, one that's designed for "winter sports." It's about 1.25 Kg empty, front loader, and the rear is adjustable to snug the weight as close to your spine as possible. The suspension is just excellent - I've hiked 15+ Km up and down the mountains, 16 hour days, and been perfectly comfortable. It works really well for those boulder scrambles we all get into from time to time. Total weight for my kit (Toho FC-45X, five light lenses, 10 film holders, etc., and 3 liters of water) is maxes out around 17.0 Kg, but is usually lighter.

I did try the well loved Kelty Redwing pack and found it much less comfortable than the Osprey packs. I speculate that the Redwing works better for people who are bigger and taller than I, but who knows? You should use what works for you, not what works for me ;-)

J V McLure
31-Jul-2007, 16:23
All,

My thanks to all of you for the information, advice and assistance. It is of great value to be able to draw on the voices of experience.

I have been in contact with Bruce at Photobackers and I am delighted with his knowledge and services. I'm sure I will be just as delighted with his products and system.

From all of the kind responses I have gained lots of ideas and will hopefully avoid some mistakes.

In a few of the responses, there was mention of ACROS Quickloads. Are these B&W films? Are there other B&W Quickload or Readyload films on the market. Being able to leave the film holders at home will further reduce weight while providing far more freedom.

Again - my thanks to all for their kind responses!

J V McLure

John Kasaian
31-Jul-2007, 17:45
Some added thoughts---maybe a grafmatic instead of the film holders, cut back the lens cache to two (that can share filters would be so much the better) and add a 1/2 pint of vodka as a multi tasker (snake bite remedy, altitude enhancer & lens cleaner--it won't help with snake bites of course, you just won't care about being bitten :D)

Nathan Potter
31-Jul-2007, 18:28
JV, I just got back from Big Bend and used a backpack for my Technikardan with 3 lenses and both Velvia Quickloads and Tmax Readyloads, a few filters and spotmeter. Day trips only by 4 wheel drive as much as possible but some necessary hiking also. I carry 30 lbs in a cheapo backpack slung high on my back. At my age 73! it's OK for maybe 4 miles but if you go in Aug and Sept the heat may kill you. Plan on 105 to about 125 in the shade if it's a sunny day and you are in canyon country at the Rio Grande river altitude. I have to carry 3 liters of water for 8 hrs. out hiking. Good to get a white backpack because film really gets cooked.

Great place though for rugged, wild, savage landscapes of the semi desert. If you go thru Marathon see if the Russian guy who had a photoshop there a few years ago is still around - I forget his name. The Gage hotel in Marathon is a great place to stop for a visit. In the park the two canyons Boquillas at the east end and Santa Elena at the west end are grand photographically. The Chisos basin at 5000 ft.+ is more tolerable in the summer.

timbo10ca
31-Jul-2007, 19:00
I just took my Kelty Redwing 3100 I bought from Bruce on its maiden voyage this past weekend. I didn't hike too far this time around (didn't have far to go), but it was very comfortable and distributed the weight well. I'm using a Shen Hao 5x7, so a bit heavier than your camera, but only one lens. The equipment cases he provides are light as air, and an effective storage system. Nobody here who has one has mentioned it, but there is a facility to put a hydration system into this pack. As far as I'm concerned, it's a wonderful day pack, you'd definitle need something more for a multi day excursion though. I also had my 35mm gear with me in a Lowepro DryZone 200, which in its totality is quite heavier than my LF gear/pack. I did the same hike with both, and liked the Kelty better. Not just because it was lighter, but because it carries the weight better. The DryZone is not designed for a tall person (I'm 6 ft)- the load is quite a bit below shoulder level (not sure about the Trekker line). As metioned before, height may make a difference on the comfort of the Kelty. I haven't owned a Gregory, but I know them to be one of the best packs out there (as long as it fits you properly), but they are pretty expensive (as are the big Lowepros)- I feel Bruce gives you alot for the $.

Tim

J V McLure
31-Jul-2007, 20:17
Nathan,

The thought of 105 -125 in the shade and hiking with a backpack does not sound like much fun to me. I'm looking at mid November to make the trip to Big Bend. That's a fine time of year in that part of the country. I grew up the West Texas desert town of El Paso. As soon as I got out of high school, I went away to college at Sul Ross in Alpine, Texas - in the magnificent Davis Mountains and the gateway to Big Bend. Thinking back on it, I don't think I ever even took a snapshot the whole time I was there. I was way to busy with my major - Lone Star Beer or my minor, bull riding.

JV

Rakesh Malik
1-Aug-2007, 11:43
In a few of the responses, there was mention of ACROS Quickloads. Are these B&W films? Are there other B&W Quickload or Readyload films on the market. Being able to leave the film holders at home will further reduce weight while providing far more freedom.

Acros is indeed Fuji's B&W film, quite good stuff, and available in Quickloads.

I'm seriously looking into getting one of the dedicated backpacking packs at some point, because although my Kinesis pack works well, it doesn't leave any room for extras like a bedroll. It carries the load well however; I just completed a 15 mile hike in Shenandoah with my 40+ pound kit (it's probably closer to 35 pounds, but when you add three liters of water, it suddenly gets a lot heavier) that involved a lot of hill climbing. The trekking poles made a big difference, and the harness on the Kinesis works well.

However, I'd like to do more than just day-hikes in the future, so I'm paying attention to threads like this :)

David_Senesac
4-Aug-2007, 13:58
Best of luck JV in getting out into the backcountry. Vast regions that have never seen large cameras versus the heavily beaten front country areas the majority of view camera enthusiasts have only worked. I'll predict given some useful experience making day trip only hikes that you will soon reflect on the huge advantages of real overnight backpacking camping close to destination scenery instead of dayhiking. That is mainly because early and late light is often optimal. One can of course begin hikes with headlamp before dawn or return hiking in the dark of evening but the complications and limitations of night hiking especially into areas off trails will readily become apparent. For years on the web I've been promoting the advantages of putting camera gear into regular backpacking camping packs versus bulky, limited, pricy dedicated photo backpacks. A link to my photo gear backpacking page:

http://www.davidsenesac.com/Backpacking/david_backpacking.html

I need to update my above link as I've retired my very old Lowe Holoflex pack and am now using an REI Mercury backpack I bought a few years back for backcountry skiing trips. Similarly custom rigged it to piggyback my photo daypack. Have already done seven overnight backpacking trips this summer including one where I carried 70+ pounds on a 5-day 30 mile Sequoia National Park trip with over 7200 vertical uphill feet. Yesterday I returned from another 5-day trip into the John Muir Wilderness where I pared down my gear minimums knocking off about 20 pounds. That included no photo daypack, tent, sleeping pad, cooking gear, water filter, extra clothes, and a long list of other smaller usual items I normally fill my pack with. Thus put my large format gear in the same boxes as shown in the above link directly into my Mercury backpack. That complicated shooting flexibility but since I was already familiar with the destination area, I didn't need to do much exploring as I knew where to shoot. Now that I've thrashed out how to do this, I'm certain to do so a bit more often instead of always carrying a monster load of full backpacking plus camera gear into the backcountry.

Coolpix pic below from last Wednesday morning at "Balloon Pond". I never exposed a sheet of film on this strong subject after waiting 45 minutes because the slight breeze never calmed enough to my satisfaction and the sun was becoming too harsh. Just an example of one of many pristene nameless subjects where physical effort is beyond any advantages of camera experience or wealth that I may decide to return some day. ...David

http://davidsenesac.com/balloon_pond.jpg

riooso
4-Aug-2007, 20:44
I pack in. My total weight including 4X5 Toyo (5.8lbs), 90mm,150mm,240mm, 5 filters, 4 film holders, changing tent without poles, light meter, cables, loupe, dark cloth, and tripod with head is 18 pounds. I could lighten it by going to a carbon or wood camera. I am only 5 foot, 7 inches and a 4 day pack in is 55 pounds with everything including water. That means that everything but the camera stuff is 37 pounds. If someone could tell be how to get lighter bring it on. Go to a real internal frame pack. My backpacking life is hard but it is the only way for me to get the images that I want.

One note; make a lexan plate that fits over your ground glass and put velcro on it to hold it into place. Adds a little weight but a 1/8" piece of lexan is really good protection.

You will love it,
Richard Adams

Jan_6568
6-Aug-2007, 21:40
Bruce at photobackpacker.com can make custom "camera enclosure" for any camera and any backpack. He made the enclosure for my Sinar F2. It fits well into The North Face Oryx backpack. I carry the F2, two-three lenses, 6-8 holders and other stuff you would normally take: meter, dark cloth, filters, tripod etc. Very comfortable. Even on the 10 miles hike in Canyonlands in 110 heat I did recently. The only issue is that if change the back to 5x7 P rear standard I have to carry the camera in hand. It would not fit into the backpack.
Bruce's stuff is really good, specialy if you look how heavy are dedicated photo backpacks.
Jan

J V McLure
6-Aug-2007, 22:29
I have already placed my order with Bruce. The pack should be here any day now. He was great to work with - a real pleasure. My thanks to those that passed along his name - and to all of the others that were kind enough to share experiences, ideas and knowledge. I'm certian that what I have gained from my original post will make my future backpacking trips far more plesant and productive. Thank goodness I found this forum!

J V McLure

Dave_B
7-Aug-2007, 17:39
I pack in. My total weight including 4X5 Toyo (5.8lbs), 90mm,150mm,240mm, 5 filters, 4 film holders, changing tent without poles, light meter, cables, loupe, dark cloth, and tripod with head is 18 pounds. I could lighten it by going to a carbon or wood camera. I am only 5 foot, 7 inches and a 4 day pack in is 55 pounds with everything including water. That means that everything but the camera stuff is 37 pounds. If someone could tell be how to get lighter bring it on. Go to a real internal frame pack. My backpacking life is hard but it is the only way for me to get the images that I want.

One note; make a lexan plate that fits over your ground glass and put velcro on it to hold it into place. Adds a little weight but a 1/8" piece of lexan is really good protection.

You will love it,
Richard Adams

With some work you should be able to get your non-camera backpacking gear down to something like 10-12 lbs, dry weight. Food and water are extra. Food typically weighs a pound a day per person and water gets filtered as you need it. Try googling ultra-light weight backpacking for some ideas on how to do this. Also, check on Ray Jardine's book "Beyond Backpacking" for an idea of how to go really light weight.

Roughly what you do is have a two pound tent, a two pound sleeping bag, a two pound pack, a one pound pad and 3-5 pounds for a butane/propane gas stove, Titanium pot, water filter or drops, a warmth layer and rain gear. You bring one set of clothes, wear them until they really stink and then wash and dry them while you are in camp. The basic goal is to make everything you bring do double duty. For example, a tripod can serve as a tent pole for a tarptent, raincoat for a darkcloth, a lens as a loupe, etc. For camera gear, the lightest is quickloads and a fuji holder. Photobackpacker makes good, lightweight cases for the camera and lenses. Buy a postal scale, weigh everything, keep a spreadsheet and be brutal about what you really need to enjoy yourself while backpacking. If you bring something, don't use it on a trip, leave it home next time. After a while you can get pretty happy without a lot of gear. When your pack gets light, you can go farther, faster and need less food to go where you want to in order to take pictures. Also, as you carry less, your boots can become trail running shoes, not heavy boots and you have saved weight there. Lighter boots mean easier to walk further, etc. It all feeds back on itself.
Good luck,
Dave B.

riooso
7-Aug-2007, 18:24
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the tips. I have done exactly what you suggested for every trip but can not really below 24 pounds dry. 2.5 liters weight 6 lbs, and food for 3 days including some extra is another 6 pounds which put me at 36. I hike a lot in places in California which do not always have water available thus the 2.5 liters. I am also helping my wife hike in so the 24 pounds could be dropped to about 18 if I was alone. I really like my 3 pound tent after getting stuck in a freak snow storm in Sierra's last year for 2 days. I can not go as "naked" as I would like but appreciate your outlook. When going by myself I often get really down in weight. My biggest problem is the 18 pounds of camera gear. I bought mostly lightweight lenses like the Fuji 240 lens and a carbon pod that is just heavy enough for the camera.

Thanks,
Richard Adams

naturephoto1
7-Aug-2007, 19:05
You can even push things beyond David B's suggestion. A good place for information is Backpackinglight: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/index.html.

Because of the weight of our equipment as nature and landscape photographers (most of mine for 4 X 5 weighs between 15 to 20+ pounds), I personally have opted for a custom made panel loading McHale pack. I am not suggesting that you go that far. These are very expensive. Mine was about $800??? and weighs about 5 1/2 pounds. But a good backpacking backpack with a good suspension system and waist belt are important.

You can get the weight of the other big 2 down well beyond David's recommendation. As an example for warmer conditions (not much snow load) I have a 25 oz type of tent (hiking pole is used as the pole) and a 22 oz eVENT covered down sleeping bag (1 pound bags can be gotten). Additionally for warm summer conditions, I just purchased an 11 oz synethetic insulated sleeping quilt. Consider using clothing as additional insulation in your sleeping system when needed.

You should carry some clothes for wind and/or rain and some added insulation. As David indicated wear mostly what you are wearing.

As to your kitchen not including fuel, mine using alcohol weighs between 7 and 9 oz. Additionally, I have an Esbit type solid fuel system that can weigh on the order of 4 to 5 oz not including fuel.

As to running shoes, many love them, but again, consider the weight of your pack to decide if you want a set of 24 oz running shoes. I am personally a bit reluctant for long hiking. Another option might be lighter low cut fabric hiking boots or shoes. Granted I am vertically challenged at 5' 6" and have only a 7 1/2 shoe size, but my low boots weigh about 32 oz.

Rich

Dave_B
7-Aug-2007, 19:30
Richard:
Listed below is the rig I just used in Colorado. If you use freeze dried food, you can really get down to a pound per person per day. I can almost always get on the trail, all in, at under 30 pounds.
Good luck,
Dave B.

Lightweight Camera Gear List:

Toyo 45CF Camera 1549gr
Box of Velvia Quickloads (20) 569
Pentax Spot Meter 296
Fuji Film Holder 337
Camera Case 262
Box with Lenses (90, 135, 200, 300) 1493
Tripod 981
Darkcloth 118
Loupe 75
Shutter Release 42
Pen 10
Total: 5732gr 12lb 10oz

Camping Gear List:

Golite Pack 32 oz
WM Sleeping Bag 30
Thermarest Pad 20
Headlamp 2
Raingear 21
FA kit 3
Stove, fuel 10
Long Underwear, socks 13
Water Filter 15
Rope 1
Water Bladder 4
Cup, Spoon 3
Tarptent-Squall 29
Down Layer-Top 10
Total: 193oz 12lbs 1oz

naturephoto1
7-Aug-2007, 20:00
Hi David,

That is a very light kit. I am carrying a Toho FC-45X which as modified weighs 2lb 12oz. But I am shooting color transparencies so I would need to carry an assortment of filters mostly Cokin P sized Singh-Ray or Tiffen, warm polarizer, etc. My Zone 6 modified Soligor Digispot II is larger and heavier than your Pentax Spotmeter. I would also carry at least 40 sheets of film probably. However, the big difference in the weight of our photo kit comes from our tripods. I am not sure what your are using, but I am using the Gitzo 1257LVL and a Markins Q3 Emile head. I would be reluctant to go lower but I know that Gitzo has come out with their newer tripods, and they are claiming that the new 11XX series has the holding capacity of the 1257 tripods. Are you using a head on the tripod?

Rich

Dave_B
7-Aug-2007, 20:10
Rich:
My tripod is a Gitzo CF. It is pretty much at the rated limit but works well with my Toyo 45CF if you are careful to keep everything pretty tight when done adjusting things.
Dave B.

Gitzo GIG1155T
G-1155 Traveler Sport Carbon Fiber 2 Tripod Legs (Rapid) with G1077M Ballhead - Supports 4.4 lb (2 kg) REG

riooso
8-Aug-2007, 06:05
I have to go to work so I will get back to you on the weights. I hope we haven't hijacked the thread to badly. I can not afford another camera but it would be nice to drop a couple of pounds there and get a CF Toyo. I am extremely interested in this topic. I to have XL up and running and am constantly trying to screw down my weights.

Later,
Richard

riooso
8-Aug-2007, 20:33
Dave,
You run a little to skinny for my taste. Where is the compass, knife, med kit, sunblock, sunglasses, map ? I know that has to do with personal taste. I really don't feel comfortable without a tent (4 pounds) for instance. Well anyway.

What kind of darkcloth do you have it would save me a pound there. I wish I could afford a Carbon Toyo but my wife would kill me. Both of you, how do you like the CF version of the Toyo? I have been reading a lot of your posts in the past so I know that you are asking a lot of your equipment and expect good results. I am in line with everything except the camera and the tripod and I gain a pound not using quickloads. I take 50 sheets of different film in one box and load all exposed film in one box and seperate when I get home but you have me by about 400 grams there.

Thanks for the insight,
Richard

Dave_B
9-Aug-2007, 15:46
Richard:
I use an Ebony dark cloth. Badger sells them. They are the lightest I have found.
Good luck,
Dave B.