PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Texas - New to LF - Lost and In Love

J V McLure
29-Jul-2007, 11:29
Hi, my name is J V McLure. I live in Dallas, Texas and spend my weekends in east Texas on Cedar Creek lake. I just turned 54 and was looking for something new to learn and enjoy. I have been using MF most of my life. Last year I installed a new enlarger in my darkroom and the fact that it would take up to 4 x 5 somehow got me started on this trail. I'm glad I did. While I am still so very lost - I'm truly in love with this format!

I enjoy shooting landscapes when outdoors and still-life while in the studio. I picked up a 4 x 5 Shen Hao for my studio work. The thing is both too pretty and too heavy for the field. To fill my backpack for landscape work, I picked up a Toyo CF. I have 90mm, 150mm and 210mm lenses mounted on boards for each camera system.

I am having a ball shooting night-time shots on the lake and around the big city. Once I master the LF - or at least know what I'm doing, I plan to hit the road for the senic West and the majestic Rocky Mountains. I have already booked a week in early November for a hiking photo adventure in Big Bend.

It is so nice to have this forum to meet others, share experience and both give and receive guidance. Sure beats the old trial and error and school of hard knocks of the past. We are lucky to have the information super highway as we learn new things.

Anyway, I am glad to be here!

J V

Walter Calahan
29-Jul-2007, 15:03
Glad you're here.

Whatever you do, don't try 8x10. Grin.

Ben Hopson
29-Jul-2007, 16:33
Welcome aboard. Sounds like large format is perfect for you and you already have a terrific trip planned. Enjoy!!!

Ralph Barker
29-Jul-2007, 16:37
Howdy. Welcome to the LF Forum, J V.

Diane Maher
30-Jul-2007, 04:45
Glad you're here.

Whatever you do, don't try 8x10. Grin.

LOL! Isn't that the truth! :)

Welcome to the forum, JV.

steve simmons
30-Jul-2007, 06:57
You will find a lot of helpful info here on this site and on the View Camera site in the Free Articles section

www.viewcamera.com

Here is my usual list of recommended reading

User's Guide to the View Camera by Jim Stone
Large Format Nature Photography by Jack Dykinga
Using the View Camera that I write for AMPHOTO

try your local library.

good luck

steve simmons