PDA

View Full Version : Do I sell or hold out?

Ash
26-Jul-2007, 09:57
Maybe this should go in the classifieds forum, but I'm really asking for opinions on what you lot would do...

I have a Half-Plate camera, the Kodak (it's in my sig as the restoration job). I love it as a camera, however the last time I used it was to test out the lens/shutter and 4x5 reducing back. Once, one negative, months ago!

I just don't use it!

Been a year now in my possession. I've since pulled it apart and stripped all the old grey paint from the body, sanded it down and re-finished it. To be honest I still need to sand down some of the woodstain and re-stain it properly. I even bought a bunch of 5x7 DDS's in case I wanted to shoot half-plate on 5x7 negs or paper using the original back.

No joy.

I don't even find the time to use the Korona 4x5 (especially in this weather) and the other day I started to pull the Speed-Graphic apart to clean up the outside and make it a little more pretty for use. I'll have a Razzle coming soon, so there will be more competition for what camera I use.

I don't have the time or budget available to use 5x7 negs at the moment, sadly. I don't really see myself doing so any time soon either. Besides, I need to concentrate on 4x5.

I'm fearing that I have a fully functional half-plate/4x5 camera, complete with extension rail (and 5x7 holders), that could be put to better use in somebody else's hands.

I have no idea of the value if I did sell it.
I'd put it up for sale today if it weren't for the feeling I'd miss it... :confused:

Nick_3536
26-Jul-2007, 10:17
You mean we supposed to use all our cameras all the time? Boy you're setting a high standard for us -)

Plenty of older 5x7 wooden cameras out there. So if you do sell you can replace it later. Keep the film holders.

Ash
26-Jul-2007, 10:28
I believe Ole had interest on the one on ebay a while back on an APUG thread.. maybe I can tempt him to buy mine :D

Rob_5419
26-Jul-2007, 10:30
The Kodak is a heavy boy - that's the only thing I can think of which might stop you from taking it out any more than you do (or don't). I know my half-plate camera doesn't get out much (particularly in flood weather!) compared to the little Konica rangefinder I carry around with me.

Looking at the prices for plate cameras, and seeing the amount of work you put it, you might not get much for your efforts in return. Keep it till after the summer is over - and then sell (but not over summer)? Best might be to keep it until you're ready for it...

Ole Tjugen
26-Jul-2007, 12:07
I believe Ole had interest on the one on ebay a while back on an APUG thread.. maybe I can tempt him to buy mine :D

No thanks. :)

I have two fine 4x5" cameras, two fine 5x7", one fine 18x24cm, one fine 8x10"/18x24 8and another in loose parts), as well as a wonderful old 24x30cm camera in need of a new bellows - and a 30x40cm plate camera which I don't know what to do with. And a handful of 6.5x9cm and 9x12cm plate cameras.

At the moment I'm on my way to a workshop/gathering carrying one 6.5x9cm, both 4x5", and both my Gandolfis. I need another camera less than I need to fill the hole in my wallet. :)

Ash
26-Jul-2007, 12:26
Don't worry Ole, I was only joking.

I had another play with the camera. I doubt I'll sell it, but it's still a pity to see it go unused.

You know, I nearly asked whether you'd consider selling me one of the 9x12's.. :eek:

Randy H
27-Jul-2007, 12:19
Golly gee Ash. I think you oughta sell it.:rolleyes:
I just might know somebody that could possibly be interested. :rolleyes:

Ash
27-Jul-2007, 12:45
Same guy who I've been holding the TP Shutter for? :D

Randy H
27-Jul-2007, 15:09
Well, they would probably both fit in the same box.
Kidding.
I am still trying to find adequate time to finish re-working the last Conley 5X7 I bought. And I missed a really good deal on an 18X24 camera because of our really good summer grass season here. Made a deal, and had to pass and buy a da-n lawnmower instead!:mad:

eddie
27-Jul-2007, 17:58
lend it to me! i will use it and send it back!

eddie