PDA

View Full Version : New here - Hi

dufferin
25-Jul-2007, 20:09
Hi,
I not too much aware about LF even if I had, few times, to handle a Linhof 4x5 when I was assistant.
I start to think to go with a 4x5 to do architecture. I may use a 75mm and a 120.
But I really don't know what camera (field, view) to go with and not even lenses... Used system would be perfect. I want to spend time too look for it.
I think the 4x5 could be a good way back to what put me into photography beside editorial commercial...
That will be a good cigar, wine, meal you name it that needs time to get into...
back to the roots.

Eric Rose
25-Jul-2007, 21:07
Have fun. There is a wealth of info on this website. Let us know how it goes.

Ralph Barker
25-Jul-2007, 21:37
Welcome to the LF Forum.

bartf
25-Jul-2007, 22:33
These folks here have been great to me (still a newbie myself)

Welcome.

Rob_5419
26-Jul-2007, 05:20
Welcome to the forum. There's plenty of architectural 4x5" cameras available to enjoy browsing ;)

dufferin
26-Jul-2007, 07:08
Thank you all, I'll let you know what I could stop on to and will ask for your advice.

Ernest Purdum
26-Jul-2007, 07:33
Architectural photography is demanding in terms of movements of the camera and excess coverage of its lenses. On the other hand, you don't ordinarily have to lug the set far from your car, so weight and bulk don't matter like they do to a backpacker. For these reasons, I would suggest a monorail. Unless your budget allows purchase of a Sinar or Arca Swiss, a Calumet CC-402 would be a sensible choice. This is a monorail made for use with short focal length lenses. They work better for this use than most other inexpensive cameras. Though long out of production, Calumet still gives them some support. With some patience, you should be able to find one on eBay or elsewhere. You may find you like it so well that it becomes a "keeper", but if you do later on decide you want a versatile system, the chances are good that you can sell it for somewhere near the price you paid for it.

Steve Simmons and others will probably suggest buying a book. I strongly concur.

Regarding lenses, buying the best can involve very large expenditures, but you can find usable starting lenses at moderate cost. They will be single coated and have a smaller aperture and a smaller image circle than the latest and greatest, but still permit doing a lot of good architectural work.

Ron Marshall
26-Jul-2007, 10:02
Welcome to the forum. The home page of this site has lots of info. Using the View Camera, by Steve Simmons is a good introduction.

dufferin
26-Jul-2007, 15:40
I took a look at ebay and found a Calumet Cambo but I can't tell more about it it's now at 160$ can (US is almost the same now) and a Arca Swiss 4x5 4"x5" Oschwald View Camera at 210$can...
It may be both good deal, tho I need to do my homework before taking any decision...