PDA

View Full Version : how do you know if a used camera is together right?

Winger
24-Jul-2007, 10:05
First stupid question... OK, I have my used 4x5 cambo/calumet. I don't know a model number. In photos of similar ones on the Calumet site, the sides look different than on mine. I'm not totally sure of the names for the parts either, so my description may not make sense to anyone. Anyway, in the photos on their site, the back and front are facing the same way, with the curved piece in front and all the numbers so you can see them from the back. On mine, the front one is flipped from that, so the front is the mirror of the back. Is this right? Does it matter?

Ron Marshall
24-Jul-2007, 10:10
Easier if you post a photo of your camera.

Winger
24-Jul-2007, 10:14
I know, but I don't own a digi. I'll see if I can do a Polaroid later - or maybe scan a drawing.

Nick_3536
24-Jul-2007, 10:17
You're saying you think the standards are on backwards?

But the bellows are mounted and you can mount a lens?

Ralph Barker
24-Jul-2007, 10:32
Sometimes, depending on the design of the camera, people will reverse the front and/or back standards (the "front standard" holds the lens board, the "rear standard" holds the ground glass) to reduce the distance between them, so that shorter lenses will focus at infinity without using a recessed lens board.

Ash
24-Jul-2007, 10:36
I wondered the same when I owned my Calumet 45N. It doesn't really matter too much, so long as the camera works properly for your purposes. I set mine up so the standards were mirrored, and the maximum extension was possible. I had tried reversing the front element (swinging it 180deg) so that I could focus a shorter lens more easily - doesn't make much difference to the camera or its operation, and it is easy enough to alter which way the camera is set up.

Winger
24-Jul-2007, 10:53
I think it's a Calumet 45NX. Here's my best drawing (this is why I photograph instead of draw) of how it looks. The lens board and bellows are both in - I just didn't know if it mattered because of the movements (which I won't really be getting to until I learn the more simple things).

Scott Davis
24-Jul-2007, 11:05
That looks correct.

Ash
24-Jul-2007, 11:37
That's how mine was

Winger
24-Jul-2007, 11:44
thanks all! now, if it would stop raining, I'd go use it!

MIke Sherck
24-Jul-2007, 11:59
You know, these things are mostly waterproof... ;)

Donald Qualls
24-Jul-2007, 14:46
Not to mention that you *can* shoot still life indoors, if you remember to compensate for reciprocity failure as well as bellows draw. No reason to let the rain block your fun... :)

Jim Jones
24-Jul-2007, 16:15
Winger -- I think Ralph Barker has it nailed. As near as I could tell from the ad photos of your Cambo, the front standard can be reversed for use with a wide angle lens, but is set up better for your 210mm lens. If it's still raining, put a big lens hood (you do have one, don't you?) on the lens, cut the corner out of a large garbage bag, and secure it to the hood with tape or a rubber band. This is also useful when shooting near surf or amidst large flocks of birds.

Winger
24-Jul-2007, 20:12
I could have kept the camera dry and comfortable much easier than the photographer today. The torrential downpours were intense. I opted to wait it out and shot some flowers after the rain. Success! Mostly. I just used Polaroids (expired and instant result).