PDA

View Full Version : The Bulldog Camera: maximum extension?

Helmut Faugel
16-Jul-2007, 15:47
Maybe I should have not joined the workshop of a friend where he showed different printing
techniques like cyanotype, van dyke and platinotype using 8x10" negatives ...

Anyway, it seems that I'm now infected by the large format virus, but as my knowledge of
developing film and so on is limited I won't spend much money in my first, but hopefully not
last LF camera.

So I'm thinking of buying the Bulldog Self Assembly Camera. I know that this camera is limited
to wide angle photography, but even after contacting Camera Bellows I do not know the maxi-
mum extension of this camera. The technical data I've received are:

BULLDOG
SPECIFICATION SHEET

WEIGHT: 2 1b. 14 oz
DIMENSIONS: 190mm x 220mm x 120mm
LENS PANEL: LINHOF 97mm x 99mm
BELLOWS EXTENSION 125MM + movements
BELLOWS MIN. 15mm
FRONT LENS TILT limited only by bellows
FRONT LENS SWING limited only by bellows
FRONT LENS RISE/FALL 66mm ( +50mm/-16mm )
SHORTEST FOCAL LENGTH 50mm ( glass to lens panel

My guess is, that the maximum extension is shortest focal lenght(50 mm) plus bellow extension(125 mm)
giving 175 mm. Can anyone confirm this? And what about using a rollfilm back on this camera?

As I like a 35 mm lens on 135-cameras very much, I would like to use a 120 mm lens on this camera.

What do you think about using a Schneider-Kreuznach Angulon 6,8/120? Or is a Symmar or
Sinaron a much better choice?

regards

Helmut

Niko
17-Jul-2007, 01:06
I havenīt measured the extension on my Bulldog, but with a 135mm lens i am able to focus to about 1m at the nearest.

Niko

Helmut Faugel
17-Jul-2007, 02:13
I havenīt measured the extension on my Bulldog, but with a 135mm lens i am able to focus to about 1m at the nearest.

Hello Niko,

thanks a lot for this information, this corresponds to about 160 mm extension.

Helmut

Zach In Israel
17-Jul-2007, 10:32
I'm thinking about building one next winter. When I do I will post a building blog.