PDA

View Full Version : Film recorder

cyrus
8-Jul-2007, 18:19
I find myself in possession of a Lasergraphic LFR film recorder which can apparently convert digital files to 35mm film. Does anyone have the associated software, and is this any better than simply printing a digital negative (can digital negs be enlarged?)

Greg Lockrey
8-Jul-2007, 18:46
I have a Polaroid Pro Pallette 7000 that I got for a song. But the software costs anywhere from $500 to $1000 depending on the specs. I would assume that your Lasergraphic would be similar. I am told that the 35 mm at 4000 lpi is pretty indistiguisable from a normal slide for projection purposes. It is supposed to be a good way to back up your files in case of technology upgrades.

cyrus
8-Jul-2007, 19:20
...got one of 'em too for a song. Now, about that software . . .

Incidentally do these things use regular bw film?

Greg Lockrey
8-Jul-2007, 19:59
...got one of 'em too for a song. Now, about that software . . .

Incidentally do these things use regular bw film?

I suppose you can use B&W film, I know they use a variety of slide and color negative films. I'm no expert though, a guy on P.net said that Kodak Slide Duplicating film was going to be discontinued and this was a better way to make slide dupes. When I found out the cost of the software, I about shit!

Here is the site that has the software. They have a free trial version that you can use for about 10 days or so to see if your machine works before you buy. http://www.photogize.com/rasterplus.htm Look for your film recorder model and go from there.

bwchrome
21-Jul-2007, 14:41
..you can pick-up win or mac rascol from http://www.lasergraphics.com/
It costs about $400. The program also comes up on ebay every so often.
Rascol is better for the Lasergraphics machines. RASTOR PLUS is too expensive and does not work as well as the rascol program.
you would also be better off buying a MRK-3. The LFR will only burn to 4K while the MRK-3 will do 8K

dw

www.dr5.com
www.filmrecording.net

I find myself in possession of a Lasergraphic LFR film recorder which can apparently convert digital files to 35mm film. Does anyone have the associated software, and is this any better than simply printing a digital negative (can digital negs be enlarged?)

jetcode
18-Aug-2007, 10:20
I suppose you can use B&W film, I know they use a variety of slide and color negative films. I'm no expert though, a guy on P.net said that Kodak Slide Duplicating film was going to be discontinued and this was a better way to make slide dupes. When I found out the cost of the software, I about shit!

Here is the site that has the software. They have a free trial version that you can use for about 10 days or so to see if your machine works before you buy. http://www.photogize.com/rasterplus.htm Look for your film recorder model and go from there.

imagine what it's like when a company spends a cool million or two on software development

Darryl Baird
18-Aug-2007, 10:35
LFR works great for its intended purpose... making 35mm slides from digital files, works with most current chromes and b&w emulsions, color profiles are a part of the software package. I have two, but couldn't get the old version to work with new Macs so they sit on my floor, behind the desk. Current software is only available for Windows. A local university still has one in their media lab and I use it occasionally. It takes roughly an hour or less to burn a roll of 36 exposures.