PDA

View Full Version : new fine arts site launched

alexatstorm
3-Jul-2007, 03:01
I wanted to get some feedback on my new fine arts web site, it is an interesting platform which I think works really well - but I am looking for opinions in case I am off the mark.

the site is at www.distilennui.com

i am a professional fashion, advertising and architetural photographer but this site is more geared to my personal work. I hope you like it.

regards
alex.

Geert
3-Jul-2007, 04:15
reported

Walter Calahan
3-Jul-2007, 06:08
Very beautiful work. Web site takes extremely long to load on DSL. Things speeded up once I turned the music off.

What does the URL 'distilennui' mean? Will it be remembered by those who you want to reach?

Bottom line, I think it needs to load faster. Not everyone will have your taste in music. Not that I found your musical selection wrong or bad.

davidb
3-Jul-2007, 06:32
Not that I expect this guy to come back and read this but it took forever to load on cable internet. My system is very fast and as nice as the images are, the load time just was not worth it.

bob carnie
3-Jul-2007, 06:34
Ditto

Not that I expect this guy to come back and read this but it took forever to load on cable internet. My system is very fast and as nice as the images are, the load time just was not worth it.

cyrus
3-Jul-2007, 07:16
Nice site (photos take too long to cycle - need thumbnails)

My comments are generally about these sorts of photo portfolio sites: So many of the popular effects created by flash (which seems ubiquitous) are either distracting and unncesscary, and/or can be replicated by ordinary CSS/HTML - and so would take a lot less time loading up.

Greg Lockrey
3-Jul-2007, 07:52
I'm in the stone age here and have dial up....I thought my server broke.:eek:

Ken Lee
3-Jul-2007, 10:35
"So many of the popular effects created by flash (which seems ubiquitous) are either distracting and unncesscary"

I agree. Flash lets web developers charge more. Perhaps it's an artifact of agencies and designers.

Flash also forces the user to adopt a particular pace and navigation through the site. I much prefer simple HTML + CSS.

I will often leave a site as soon as I discover that it uses Flash.

scott_6029
3-Jul-2007, 10:57
Yikes I fell asleep before I got to see, I think two images....and I have high speed...gotta get folks to your portfolio sooner and easier...

Jim Noel
3-Jul-2007, 13:10
Too slow

Colin Robertson
3-Jul-2007, 13:18
Long time since I was in school, but I think 'ennui' means 'boredom'.
Just saying . . .

mono
5-Jul-2007, 03:18
Horrible slow!!

davidb
5-Jul-2007, 14:52
glad to see he came back to visit.

Andrew O'Neill
5-Jul-2007, 16:10
Nice but I'd lose the music. Is it really necessary? I don't want the music to make me feel something. The pictures should do that...it's all about pictures, right?
On another note, I guess I could turn the audio off on my computer...

r.e.
6-Jul-2007, 07:23
Alex,

Your site got my attention because you are obviously a talented photographer with a broad range and a good eye. I love the name "distil ennui" and the way that elements of the site - the photographs, the music, the graphics and the artist statement - elaborate on the theme. That said, and this is a matter of taste, I think that your artist statement is a bit on the heavy side.

I have the sense that the pace at which the photographs load may be at least in part deliberate. Deliberate or not, I think that you should speed up the loading to appease the kind of impatience you are seeing in responses here.

I like the link in your client portfolio to information on the photographs, the client and advertising agency. However, when I went from your client portfolio to another portfolio, and then returned, the "info" link was missing. I got it back by closing the site and re-opening it. A small technical glitch that you may want to fix. This problem may or may not be connected to the fact that I was using Opera rather than Internet Explorer as a browser. Also, in your series of photographs of Palazzo Versace, the info link does not work. I was able to get to the site directly by going to either www.palazzoversace.com or www.palazzoversace.com.au, but not via your site. As an aside, I think that it is amusing that Donatella Versace, who I don't think needs any lessons in design, uses some of the web techniques that are criticized in this thread :)

I think that the client portfolio adds a lot to the site, partly due to the quality of the work and partly because you have a solid client list. By the way, I love the phrase "working water" as the title for a series of photographs in your "Space" portfolio.

I'm going to be doing a project in Australia/New Zealand this year, during your summer or fall, for which I'm going to need to engage a photographer. I was impressed enough that I may get in touch with you as the project draws nearer. On that question, I note that your site does not say where in Australia you are based. Unless I missed it, it might be an idea to add that information.

Cheers