PDA

View Full Version : MFA photography programs in nyc

lesleywells
2-Jul-2007, 08:59
I am thinking about apply to mfa photography programs solely in / around nyc. Does anybody have an familiarity with programs in the city or any recommendations? I plan to apply to Parsons, ICP, Columbia, SVA, and maybe Pratt but I'm also looking for less selective programs around the city. Any information is greatly appreciated.

paulr
2-Jul-2007, 12:43
I have a couple of friends who went to the Bard/ICP program. One of them studied with Stephen Shore. Both liked the program a lot.

I haven't heard good things about SVA, Parsons, or Pratt, except maybe for the commercially oriented. No idea about Columbia. And no first hand experience with any of them.

Kirk Gittings
2-Jul-2007, 13:54
Columbia is spinning off their art department into a new School of Art with a new facility, expanded budget and administration (they lured away some of the top administrators from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago). It could be a exciting time at Columbia in a year or two.

claudiocambon
3-Jul-2007, 07:38
I believe Tom Roma still heads the photo program at Columbia. He is a hoot. I knew him as an undergrad at Yale, and, although he sometimes he got a bit dogmatic and authoritarian about what photography should be (as did the other faculty), he was 100% serious and committed to the students. I would like to think, therefore, that the program works well for the students, and isn't merely a salary farm for the faculty.

lesleywells
4-Jul-2007, 08:02
Thanks to everyone who replied. I will look into Columbia and ICP further.

PBrooks
5-Jul-2007, 05:40
I have a couple of friends who went to the Bard/ICP program. One of them studied with Stephen Shore. Both liked the program a lot.

I haven't heard good things about SVA, Parsons, or Pratt, except maybe for the commercially oriented. No idea about Columbia. And no first hand experience with any of them.

Um!!!!!!!!!!! Parsons MFA is not commercially oriented!!!! I know this because I have a MFA from Parsons! I enjoyed it and the connections I made because I went there.